PDA

View Full Version : need housewarming gift ideas

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
What's your go-to housewarming gift idea that looks like a million bucks but really only costs about $20?

My SIL just bought a house with her boyfriend. They're living with his mom, who will do all the cooking, so I don't want to get her kitchen stuff. I don't drink wine, so don't know how to buy that.

Any ideas? Preferably something that I can get at a place like Target on short notice?

Thanks a bunch!
Jennifer

PunkyBoo
07-29-2010, 05:41 PM
We usually take pretty potted plants/ flowers that can be placed on their porch or patio. If you get a pretty pot, they can always reuse it with a different plant if the one you get dies, or they can repurpose it for something else.

Or I might get a gift card to somewhere like Crate & Barrel or Williams Sonoma so they can get something they like or need.

crl
07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Fancy guest soaps

Catherine

Sillygirl
07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I go very traditional - bread and salt. The bread so they will never be hungry, the salt so their life will always have savor. You can add wine too, for joy. Get an artisanal loaf, a nice flask of fancy sea salt, tie a ribbon around the loaf, and explain the tradition.

Mommy_Again
07-29-2010, 06:34 PM
A nice orchid

Anything with a pineapple on it (symbol for hospitality)

If they entertain a lot, I love giving handpainted signs they can hang on the front door that say "Welcome, Please Come In"

Sweetum
07-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Scented candles?

PMJ
07-30-2010, 01:07 PM
A nice vase, some decorative pieces for bathroom or living area, picture frame

DietCokeLover
07-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Monogrammed hand towels