PDA

View Full Version : For those of you at the end, what are you doing to prepare for labor?

swissair81
07-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm all neurotic now, even though I'm only 35 weeks. I packed a bag for the kids with spare key, pjs, change of clothes, pullups/diapers & a surprise to leave at my parents' house.

I packed a bag for myself. I also put a spare skirt, pair of underwear & stockings & some pads in my purse/diaperbag- just in case I get caught out and about in a compromising situation. I also put a book in & charged my ipod & my camera & am keeping them in said bag.

I still have to buy some non perishable food in case I have to go to the hospital on Sabbath, because this hospital is too far for my dh to walk home (which is what he did when I had ds on a holiday last time). I'm probably being nuts, but I always end up packing when I'm in labor. When I went into labor with ds, I lost my head & stuff & since he was born on a holiday at 5:33 am, I had to wait the whole day before someone brought me a book to relieve me of my boredom.

ewpmsw
07-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Hospital bag is packed with clothing, toiletries and cell phone charger. Folder with birth plan, contact info and baby's pediatrician paperwork is included.

DD's room and bath are clean and organized enough that whoever is watching her for us should be able to find what they need.

The baby's room needs more work, but at least her clothes are hung up and we have diapers, wipes, pack 'n play, etc. ready for her arrival.

I've put pads, breast pads, wipes, etc. in each bathroom so they're easily accessible when I first come home.

Just made a list of contact info for DD and the post-partum doula, and have calendars all worked out for family appointments, preschool, etc. over the next two months.

So nesty but still so much to do. I'm getting the house cleaned Monday because I just don't have the time or energy to get it done myself. I've got a lot more baby gear to put to rights, but if it doesn't get done before she gets here, oh well.

swissair81
07-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Funny, my nesting stretch is pretty much over. This morning, I needed someone to light a fire under me. That's how little energy I have all of a sudden. I also gave a bag of baby clothes to my mom for washing (she's the laundry whiz & some of my clothes have those nasty yellow stains). I don't need to get a room ready, because we are going to share.

Thanks for reminding me about my cell phone charger though. I forgot about that. I also need to get a prescription for my nipple cream. I want to have it filled to use in the hospital. I also bought some Soothies to put in bag. I wish the commencement of breastfeeding got easier with the more kids I have, but unfortunately not.

newg
07-29-2010, 10:36 PM
DH and I both have a bag packed..........carseat is installed in DH's car. Baby's room and PNP are ready to go. Diapers and clothes are washed.

I still need to print out my birth plan and I'd like to put together a list of all neighbors and their phone numbers for whoever is here with DD. I also want to put a few neighbor's numbers in my phone and DH's incase someone needs to be called while we're not at home.

sste
07-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Well, we are ready to sign off on our estate plan in case I die (morbid I know but it makes me feel better). We also set up our financial planning meetings for early fall right after the baby comes so we can get some more information on our housing situation, if we should stay, move, etc.

I have created a birthing reminder list for my doula and my DH so if I am not up to the task they can remind my provider, residents, nurses that I ideally want x or don't want y.

I created a contact list with all key numbers and multiple means of contacting ob, doula, all of our childcare options for DS, the precise spelling of our baby names (I don't respond well to medication!), and reminders to us to get the new DC on health insurance.

I made my own "DO NOT DISTURB please sign unless you are medical staff, nursing staff, baby photographer, or scheduled meals." I was woken up dozens of times last pregnancy in postpartum from people hawking newspapers, candy bars, and extra meals!!

And I have washed all the 0-6 month clothes and have most but not all of the baby gear set up. Also, found a snugrider carseat to borrow from a friend after I realized we somehow managed to LOSE an entire infant bucket seat.

swissair81
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
You had salespeople in your hospital room? How bizarre. Last time I was apparently the only non-first timer, vaginal birth with no complications on the entire floor. My room was deserted except for scheduled pain med times & shift changes. It was so strange.

There are only 3 doctors in my group, so instead of a birth plan, I discussed my wishes with all of them in the office. All of them are cool with it, so I'm not anticipating any issues with that.

All of your 0-6 clothes? I have miniature children. I only bothered washing my preemie & newborn stuff. It will be all I will need for a while, I think.

sste
07-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Yes, I was shocked . . . they were selling candy bars as well as the newspapers!! Not in labor and delivery but in postpartum. Apparently, academic hospitals are not doing so well financially (?) and are resorting to kit-kat sales . . .

I decided against a formal, posted birth plan since I don't think anyone reads it and I worry it discourages the kind of direct communication you need when you are dealing with many professionals, all on shift changes. With my OB she is on the same page as me and I wouldn't have even written a reminder list if it was just her on the scene. But, unfortunately there is a chance that since OB is very ill I may have her backup who I haven't met and I was also a bit worried about residents. I have assigned doula and DH to play vagina police!

Piglet
07-30-2010, 12:14 AM
I still have to buy some non perishable food in case I have to go to the hospital on Sabbath, because this hospital is too far for my dh to walk home (which is what he did when I had ds on a holiday last time). I'm probably being nuts, but I always end up packing when I'm in labor. When I went into labor with ds, I lost my head & stuff & since he was born on a holiday at 5:33 am, I had to wait the whole day before someone brought me a book to relieve me of my boredom.

Ugghh -I feel your pain... DS1 was born on the longest Sabbath of the year and I STUPIDLY forgot to pack food!!! I was STARVING by 11 pm when my parents came with leftovers from lunch. So much for planning!?!

ivegotayen
07-30-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm allowed clear liquids during labor, so I have an insulated bag full of juice and all kinds of electrolyte drinks ready to go.

I want to bring along my body pillow and my my Breast Friend pillow. We have an Ikea bag staged for these. The Breast Friend pillow is already in there.

We have a text message drafted to send out to friends. It already includes everyone's contact info, so all we have to do is put in the date/time/weight/length along with a link to an uploaded picture and hit send. We'll post the same message on Facebook.

I made a list of things people can do to help when dropping by, if they would like to. We'll put this on the fridge or something. If people offer to do something for us, we can mention the list. It's also posted to our baby's blog.

We're using cloth diapers, so I made up an instruction sheet that goes over the types of diapers we have and how they each work, diapering instructions (where to get everything and put everything) and washing instructions. Cloth diapers are a lot different than when my parents/inlaws used them, so this will hopefully help them to get up to speed. We're going to have one printout on the fridge, one by the changing area and one by the washer and dryer.

I also made a checklist of all the things to gather up and do before heading to the hospital. I don't trust either of us to remember everything, and our doula won't know.

We didn't have curtains on many of the windows in the main part of the house. My girlfriends who have kids mentioned covering the windows so that one can opt for not having a top on to make it easier to nurse and to let breasts get some air in between feedings. I bought some inexpensive curtains and rods from Target and had our helper put them up.

Speaking of helper... We have a couple of folks available: One is a college student from the neighborhood who was looking for work during her summer break. The other is a mom of two kids who picks up extra cash by doing household work for some families. Usually someone comes by once or maybe twice a week. They help with cleaning, laundry and these days anything involving a step ladder :) .

What else? Food in the freezer. I picked up a bunch of casseroles from one of the fancy grocery stores, broke them up into single servings and packed them away in the freezer. I was planning on making them myself but ran out of time -- and when I saw this grocery store had all kinds of yummy sounding ones it was too tempting just to buy them already assembled. I did make some stuff. I made a bunch of tomato sauce to use in pastas and other things and divided it in containers in the freezer.

We get a weekly delivery of veggies from local farms through a CSA (community-supported agriculture). This has come in handy for cutting down on grocery shopping needs. We can also order extra stuff a la carte from the CSA we use, including bread, meats, dairy, eggs, etc. All of it is organic and extremely fresh, usually harvested/butchered/collected a day or so before delivery.

Our bed has a puddle pad on it, in case my water breaks while sleeping.

We've put together a labor playlist, a delivery playlist and a "songs for the baby" playlist for the iPod and will be bringing along some portable speakers.

We're also making sure bills are paid and sent, particularly since he could come at any time now, and it's the end of the month.

That's about all I can think of! I was due 5 days ago, so all this is very relevant to us right now! :)

swissair81
07-30-2010, 07:17 AM
Ugghh -I feel your pain... DS1 was born on the longest Sabbath of the year and I STUPIDLY forgot to pack food!!! I was STARVING by 11 pm when my parents came with leftovers from lunch. So much for planning!?!

No kosher food in your hospital? There was in mine. I shouldn't have eaten it. I ate my meals the whole day & proceeded to have the worst stomach problems of my life for the next 2 weeks- this was on top of afterpains. It was so not fun.

Roni
07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Yikes, I'm only a few days behind you, but I'm not nearly that prepared. The three-room switch that we're in the midst of is causing a lot of chaos.

Well, I'm packing to go to my in-laws this weekend. After we come back I'll probably pack my bag for the hospital. I've washed the new clothes that I bought, and last night I pulled out all of the non-pink infant clothes that I could find. I'm glad to see that I have more than I thought. Plus, my sister is convinced I am having a boy, so I think she's sending me a bunch of stuff. So, I'll be set either way.

I still have to get through my dd#2's b-day party, dd#1 going to a sports camp, and the start of school, so I have all of those things to worry about at the same time as we're getting ready for the baby. The girls have been moved downstairs, but their room is so not ready for the baby, yet. (I'm planning to sleep in the baby's room for a while.)

I just scheduled our hospital tour. I'm not going to bother with a class, since I'm probably having a c-section. :( If not, I know what to do, anyway.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I have to call the hospital to schedule a tour. I've never been there. I had my 3 at another hospital that I've known like the back of my hand since I was 10. My father is medical staff there & I used to work there too. Now I feel a little out of my element.

creativelightbulb
07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm due Aug. 8th...

my hospital bag is just about packed for me, DD and DH minus the things I use daily...contact lenses, hair brush, ipod, etc...

I have travel lite crib by the bed and PNP's on each floor set up with a changing station and supplies on TV tables next to each...

the nursery is decorated and ready - though I don't expect to be using it much initially...

I washed most of the clothes up to 9 months..

I haven't packed the diaper bags but I figure I'll have time to do that...

I pulled the car seat out to install in my car this weekend...

heading to the doctor within the hour for my weekly appointment...hopefully he'll say DD has made some moves toward labor...

but if not...I think I'm about as ready as I'm going to be...

ohiomom1121
07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
His thread is making me a little nervous...I haven't done a thing! :bag I'm scheduled for a c-section on the 18th. DH and I are planning on getting the nursery set up this weekend so I guess that's something! Good job everyone on being so prepared!!