PDA

View Full Version : Anyone worm compose?

peanut520
07-29-2010, 09:03 PM
I've been really curious about it and done a bunch of reading, but dont know anyone who actually does it. I thought it would be a great idea of getting my own organic compost from our organic scraps. Tell me about your experience and how you started? Did you buy the kit that many places sell or make your own worm bin? Where did you get your worms? What were your start up costs?

bluestarfish18
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
Don't have any tips, but I did see an awesome bumper sticker that made me do a double take:

"Support Global Worming"

peanut520
07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't have any tips, but I did see an awesome bumper sticker that made me do a double take:

"Support Global Worming"

:hysterical:

trales
07-29-2010, 11:09 PM
We have done it for two years and can't seem to control the fruit flies. No matter what I do, I have tried it all, I have tons of fruit flies. I moved it outside and it will not be in the house this winter.

In theory it seemed great. It worked for awhile, nice way to get rid of food, but between the draining worm liquid and the fruit flies I have given up.

peanut520
07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
In theory it seemed great. It worked for awhile, nice way to get rid of food, but between the draining worm liquid and the fruit flies I have given up.

wow i thought the worm liquid was desireable. i hate fruit flies. i might have to rethink this. did you built your own worm bin or buy one?

Meatball Mommie
07-30-2010, 01:02 PM
I was going through some old Family Fun magazines looking for ideas the other day, and I remember seeing an article/blurb in there about making your own worm farm. Try looking on their site and see if there's info there.

I haven't tried it myself, although I'd like to. I have a regular compost bin though.

almostmom
07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
I do worm composting in my yard. Basically we chose an area behind the garage, about 3x4 feet, and when I have a bucket full of veggie waste I go to that area and dig a hole and dump the veggies in and cover it up. I leave the shovel next to the garage. I didn't have to put any worms in - they just came! And there are a TON there. I dig the holes in different places, and by the time I get back to where I started, the food is decomposed. In the spring I dig out a good amount of it and put it in my small veggie garden before starting again. But mostly it's a way of not putting my veggie scraps in the trash/landfill. And my kids love worms, so it all works out.

We bought a bin to do winter composting as well (the ground is too frozen to do it outside), but that didn't work.

So you can always start simple, just bury it in a designated place in your yard. Just be sure to cover it up and pat it down so animals don't mess it up. That happens sometimes, but it's not a big deal.

trales
07-30-2010, 02:11 PM
The worm liquid is good, but there are only so many places to put it in the middle of winter. We have a few house plants, but not that many, it would leak on the floor.

It really did not work for us.

I built my own system, using tupperware bins, landscaping fabric, shredded bills and papers, a drainage tray, drilled holes and a tight lid. We still got fruit flies.

The worms are happily in the outside pile right now and will probably freeze this winter, but I hated the thousands or fruit flies.

Pepper
07-30-2010, 07:17 PM
We have done it for two years and can't seem to control the fruit flies. No matter what I do, I have tried it all, I have tons of fruit flies. I moved it outside and it will not be in the house this winter.

I read a tip somewhere for dealing with the liquid - fill a length of pantyhose with some dry peat moss, and put it in the bottom of the bin. The peat moss absorbs the liquid, and when it is saturated you can add it to your garden.

trales
07-30-2010, 07:43 PM
We did that, did the 4 inches of shredded paper and landscaping cloth on the top and bottom to control the flied, none of it worked.

Frankly the worms were not eating the compost fast enough. They needed all the food waste to be pulverized in order to make it into soil.

I guess it works for some, and I might try it again someday, but right now I am very colored by the experience.

Jo..
08-23-2010, 08:17 AM
Would like more info on this and hints/tips for a newbie. I've done conventional composting until now but I need more compost for my large and still growing garden, so when I saw a new Worm Factory on Craigslist, I jumped.

It's the 4 tray model which sells for around $100, and I am getting it (new, never used) for $30. Very excited.

Where do I buy the worms, is there anything else I need to know (beyond watching for fruit flies) etc? Thanks!