PDA

View Full Version : What is the draw of the Red Velvet Cake?

alien_host
07-30-2010, 12:54 AM
I recently saw an episode of Cupcake Wars and was wondring why Red Velvet Cake is popular. Is it because it is red? It has a TON of food coloring in it (two ounces, isn't that the whole bottle?), I guess I don't understand why it is so popular. Because it looks nice? I'm thinking it would taste the same without the coloring right?

Clearly I've never eaten one so please enlighten me!

kransden
07-30-2010, 01:03 AM
A REAL red velvet cake is delicious, but doesn't taste any other cake. They are very hard to find. You really need to go to some hole-in-the-wall to get a real one.

srhs
07-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I don't know, but my dad looooves Red Waldorf cake, which he insists is different than Velvet. It definitely has a unique heavy flavor, but, yes, I'd assume that could be achieved without the actual food dye?

elliput
07-30-2010, 01:10 AM
A well made Red Velvet Cake is moist with a really great texture. Yes, it does pretty much taste the same without the food coloring. Since DD has food dye sensitivities, I made one last year without the dye and called it a White Velvet Cake. It was very, very yummy. The recipe I have also calls for 2 T of cocoa powder, but I believe I left that out as well as the dye.

The recipe I have also has a special frosting which starts with preparing a thick flour and milk base cooked on the stove.

cath_b
07-30-2010, 01:21 AM
I bake these cupcakes as well. I'm not sure if I just like to bake it or eat it. I would make 18 and probably eat 1 or 2. DH takes the rest to work. It tastes somewhere between chocolate and vanilla, but very different from a regular cake/cupcake. Yes, it tastes the same without the red color. You can make red velvet cake with beet powder (I'm having trouble finding this) for the red coloring.

Two ounces of food coloring will be 2 bottles. 1 small bottle is 1 fl. oz. I haven't seen a big one at my local grocery store.

infomama
07-30-2010, 01:21 AM
The recipe I have also has a special frosting which starts with preparing a thick flour and milk base cooked on the stove.
like this? http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/

alien_host
07-30-2010, 01:24 AM
It tastes somewhere between chocolate and vanilla, but very different from a regular cake/cupcake. Yes, it tastes the same without the red color.

OK now I do want to make them! Do you have a recipe you can share?

elliput
07-30-2010, 01:25 AM
like this? http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen-blog/2010/03/a-tasty-recipe-thats-the-best-frosting-ive-ever-had/
That is it exactly. It's very delicious.

alien_host
07-30-2010, 01:34 AM
That is it exactly. It's very delicious.

Can you post a link to your cake recipe too? Please?

infomama
07-30-2010, 01:49 AM
The red food coloring just grosses me out. I would make white velvet cake in a heartbeat, though. Waiting for that wonderful recipe!

alien_host
07-30-2010, 01:53 AM
The red food coloring just grosses me out. I would make white velvet cake in a heartbeat, though. Waiting for that wonderful recipe!

I'll let my DD eat a blue raspberry italian ice on occasion (the blue tongue and lips is SO nasty), but the thought of 2 bottles of red food coloring in a cake really is bothering me for some reason!

Tondi G
07-30-2010, 01:59 AM
my kids love red velvet cake and cupcakes ... I don't care for it myself! All that red food coloring can't be good.

larig
07-30-2010, 02:14 AM
This is a recipe my aunt has always made. I'm guessing that she got it from the chain letter mentioned in the wikipedia link (below) years ago (likely in the 60s?). In the spirit of the chain letter thing I feel compelled to post it anytime someone asks about red velvet cake. It's called Waldorf Astoria Cake. (probably same one that PP's dad prefers--right?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_velvet_cake

Quote:

===============
Waldorf Astoria (Red Velvet) Cake

INGREDIENTS:

- 1/2 cup Crisco or oleo
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour sifted twice
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

METHOD:

Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs and beat after each one. Make paste of food coloring (a little at a time) and cocoa. Add to creamed mixture. Add buttermilk alternately with flour and salt. Add vanilla. Last, add soda and vinegar but stir batter well before adding. Mix gently when adding vinegar and soda. Pour into three 8" or two 9" cake pans which have been lightly greased and floured. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cut layers in two with thread. Frost with Waldorf Astoria icing between layers and on top (not sides).

The icing that the Waldorf Cake uses is a cooked icing (it is pretty much the same as the one Pioneer Woman called the best she'd had as a PP pointed out). I can't eat a red velvet cake with any other frosting. It is really my favorite part.

===============
Waldorf Astoria Icing

INGREDIENTS:

- 1 cup milk (not skimmed)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

METHOD:

Cook flour and milk until thick. (Do not use non-stick pan.) Cool. Stir while cooking and cooling. Cream sugar and shortening until fluffy. Add vanilla. Add a tablespoon of mixture gradually to creamed mixture. Beat after each addition. Spread between layers of Red Velvet Cake.

it is easiest if you make the icing right before you're ready to ice it. And keep it in the refrigerator. I don't think this icing does well in the heat.

ETA: that 2 oz = 2 big bottles, not just one.
ETA2: that's baking soda above, not soda.

cath_b
07-30-2010, 02:30 AM
Can you post a link to your cake recipe too? Please?

Watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atsoSDtGxLs), it is basically the recipe I used with some tweeks of my own. She also tells you how much of the ingredients she uses. Use this recipe without the coloring, it will be yummy.

I would also like to share some of my experiences trying to bake this red velvet cake:

I have used the regular enriched all-purpose flour, unbleached flour, and wheat flour but my red velvet cupcake just comes out dense so I started to use SoftasSilk cake flour. It is Kosher but it contains wheat ingredients and may contain eggs and milk ingredients. Beware, friends and LOs with food allergies. You might want to try something else.

Like the video, I mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. When ready, I add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in three parts (not all at once) folding in between addition.

The key to any cupcake (or maybe even cake) is NEVER over beat your batter or you may be serving rocks for cupcakes. I learned this the hard way. Now I fold the batter instead of beating and use manual folding instead of the hand blender. It is easier to over beat your batter that way.

Sweetum
07-30-2010, 03:22 AM
Nick Malgieri, author of the book "Chocolate" has a red velvet cake recipe that's supposed to be how it's actually made, without the food coloring. If I remember correctly, there's some vinegar that goes into it at some point in time that reacts with chocolate (I think) and gives that red color. He also has a white velvet cake in the book, I believe. I think red velvet cake, not considering the artificial color, is DIVINE - luscious cake that is like, hold your breath, VELVET!

KHF
07-30-2010, 08:02 AM
A well made Red Velvet Cake is moist with a really great texture. Yes, it does pretty much taste the same without the food coloring. Since DD has food dye sensitivities, I made one last year without the dye and called it a White Velvet Cake. It was very, very yummy. The recipe I have also calls for 2 T of cocoa powder, but I believe I left that out as well as the dye.

This sounds like the recipe my grandmother makes...it's legendary in our family. She makes the above Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet Cake. I can make the cake part really well, but the cooked icing part confounds me. My grandmother has tried to talk me through it on the phone, but I just *cannot* make it correctly. It always separates. I have finally given up and either buy icing or make a different kind for it. Still tastes good though :)

No food dye allergies here, and while I try not to make it often, I usually make it at least once a year for my brother's birthday...which is coming up soon! Yum!! And yes, it's TWO BOTTLES of red food coloring :bag

MamaKath
07-30-2010, 08:54 AM
http://community.livejournal.com/food_tv/3895.html
Interesting discussion! I think I saw the same cupcake wars show. I LOVE Red Velvet cake, but the food dye freaks me out. We don't make it at home because of dc's allergies. I am tempted to try the "White Velvet Cake" that Elliput mentions. Knowing that food dye is just a petroleum byproduct and how much goes in that cake, I am rethinking if I'll be eating the red version any time soon. Yuck!

almostmom
07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
On this note, you can make it with less food coloring, just to get a hint of color.

I made the cupcakes once - for DH's 40th birthday party. They were a huge hit. I think one thing that I love about them is the cream cheese frosting - yum! And there is definitely a wow factor. And they were delicious.

Jelly Bean
07-30-2010, 10:18 AM
The cream cheese frosting!:yay:

elliput
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
The recipe I use, which my mom got from my dad's mom, is called $3000 Red Velvet Cake and is now in this thread (http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2798286#poststop) in "What's Cookin'?".