PDA

View Full Version : SHE is not a HE!

TwoBees
07-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I'm sure this problem isn't unique to me, but if a baby is dressed entirely in PINK, why do people still think that baby is a BOY??

I'm getting fed up with people thinking DD is a boy. Yes, her hair is still short and I'm not big on those headband-bows, but I have her dressed in pink from head to toe, including pink socks. Geesh. I'm glad her hair is finally long enough for a few cute barettes.

sunshine873
07-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Frustrating, isn't it? It's not just you, we had the same thing. DD could be wearing pink/flowers/lace or wrapped in a pink blanket and still be called a boy. Now that her hair is long enough to be put in a Pebbles-type pony-tail it's finally stopped, but I just got used to it after awhile.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 08:39 AM
I once dressed my newborn daughter in a stretchy with blue flowers & everyone thought she was a boy. Seriously, who dresses their son in flowers?

I have the opposite problem with my toddler son. He is already 21 months, so you'd think it wouldn't be a problem. I dress him as boyishly as possible, as he's my only boy. Apparently though, some people think that only girls have curly hair. I mean he's a baby, I don't need to give him a short, short haircut. There will be enough time when his 'fro gets unmanageable.

hillview
07-30-2010, 08:41 AM
I have the opposite. DS2 has longish curly hair and even if he is is TOTAL boy clothes, he is a "SHE" more often than not.
/hillary

swissair81
07-30-2010, 08:52 AM
I have the opposite. DS2 has longish curly hair and even if he is is TOTAL boy clothes, he is a "SHE" more often than not.
/hillary

So it's not just me? People have a hang up on curly hair.

TwoBees
07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
So it's not just me? People have a hang up on curly hair.

How odd. I think DD's hair is one of the reasons people think she's a boy. It's not curly, but it is red. Really red. Apparently only boys can have short red hair. What is it with the hair?

hillview
07-30-2010, 09:44 AM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
Attached photo :)
/hillary

♥ms.pacman♥
07-30-2010, 09:47 AM
hehe i get the same thing with my DS..people say "it's a girl, isn't it?". even though he's wearing a onesie with cars & trucks on them and is wearing shorts. maybe the hair does have something to do with it. he doesn't have curly hair, but it is fairly long (we've never cut it), so maybe that's the reason. also everyone says my DS looks more like me than DH and he does have long eyelashes so that may also be something. still though..

but it could be that ppl just say stuff w/o thinking. there's a girl in my mommy group with boy/girl twins, and even though they will be OBVIOUSLY dressed in boy/girl clothes (and boy will have blue blanket, girl will have pink) she still gets asked by strangers "are they identical?" i dont' know, i guess some people are just clueless and don't think before they talk.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
/hillary

My son's hair is about the same length, maybe a little taller on the top. His hair is a pretty medium brown. He does have those long eyelashes though, so maybe it's also his facial features.

BabyBearsMom
07-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I get people asking me if DD is a boy. I don't put her in a lot of pink, but she is usually in a dress of some sort with frills. I want to say "You know, girls can wear something besides pink!"

TwoBees
07-30-2010, 09:55 AM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
/hillary

Nope. I wouldn't think so from that pic. People actually do?

He's adorable BTW. :-)

bubbaray
07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm sure this problem isn't unique to me, but if a baby is dressed entirely in PINK, why do people still think that baby is a BOY??

I'm getting fed up with people thinking DD is a boy. Yes, her hair is still short and I'm not big on those headband-bows, but I have her dressed in pink from head to toe, including pink socks. Geesh. I'm glad her hair is finally long enough for a few cute barettes.

I had this same problem with both of my girls. DD#2 didn't really have hair until she was 2. It was a loooong two years.

wendibird22
07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Haven't had the problem too much with the girls, but I did personally. When I was little, like 7ish, I had (actually still have) very short hair. Other kids and even some adults would call me a boy and not cause they were being mean but because they thought I was a boy. I guess they thought I was an odd boy because I wore a lot of dresses! I was glad when puberty hit!! The kids I could understand, but adults?! Really?!

sste
07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Hillview, that child is the stuff of paintings! Seriously, those curls, his coloring . . . it reminds of the renoir child portraits. I am not sure i could ever bear to cut those curls.

Our DS used to be mistaken for a girl alot as a baby . . . I tried to buy as many unisex clothes as possible for future re-use and b/c how much blue can you take! Also, I don't like to dress baby/toddler and for that matter preschooler boys in "tough" looking prints so no camo, aggressive-looking cars and much more toward the teddy bears and puppies and polka dots . . . DH is even more insane about this than I am and has rejected clothing choices left and right ("That tractor looks belligerent!")

elliput
07-30-2010, 10:36 AM
DH is even more insane about this than I am and has rejected clothing choices left and right ("That tractor looks belligerent!")

:ROTFLMAO: This just made me laugh out loud.

I've had both DC been called the other gender, and I will admit that DD was dressed in a navy blue romper at the time, but DS is always wearing "boy" clothes. He has red hair and major dimples, so it isn't that red hair is reserved for boys. :shrug:

Glizmo
07-30-2010, 10:48 AM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
/hillary

LOL, I clicked on the photo and thought "hmmm that looks like a darling little boy to me..." and then re-read your post and saw the NOT a girl part, so it all made sense :) Totally agree with sste, what an adorable child...

People always think DD is a boy, and she has the long curly hair too. But her coloring looks best with dark and primary colors, so she wears a lot of red, brown and blue - which apparently are reserved for boys. And if she wants to wear her little hat with the truck on it, whatever to what people think! :)

fivi2
07-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Identical twins + pink dresses = "oh, so they are identical? One boy and one girl?" :6: Seriously, you do get that identical means they have to be the same gender!!! They look the same and in the same dress, how did you decide which was the boy?

And yes, I had someone ask me if I was *sure* that one was not a boy...

egoldber
07-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Honestly? I have reached the sad conclusion that many people are just not that observant.

bubbaray
07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Honestly? I have reached the sad conclusion that many people are just not that observant.

Or there are just a lot of stupid people in the world....

TwoBees
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Identical twins + pink dresses = "oh, so they are identical? One boy and one girl?" :6: Seriously, you do get that identical means they have to be the same gender!!! They look the same and in the same dress, how did you decide which was the boy?

Yes, there are people who don't understand that identical twins means they have to be the same gender. Too many people, IMO.

And yes, I had someone ask me if I was *sure* that one was not a boy...
LOL! I would have said "No, I'm not certain, but I'll be sure to check with the doctor at her next checkup. I don't even know how to tell if she's a boy or a girl!" and then walked away. :hysterical:

MolieMuts
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM

Someone asked if my boys were twins! A one year old and a six year old.

In first grade, the day I got my Dorothy Hammill haircut, some lady told my mom what a cute boy I was. Not a great way to kick off a new hairdo.

Octobermommy
07-30-2010, 03:15 PM
When my dd was dressed in pink with a bow I was asked if she was a boy. I must have looked at her like she was crazy bc she said "I know she has a bow but you never know these days".

I saw a onesie on vacation that said "NOT a boy"

infocrazy
07-30-2010, 04:10 PM
At DS1's end of year T-ball picnic, his coach said, Oh you have a baby sister DS1? It's a girl right...? DS1 (5) said, Coach, she's wearing a dress, it's a girl. :hysterical:

lizzywednesday
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
/hillary

He looks like my brother Joe did at that age!! So cute!!!!!

(FWIW, Joe has the BEST hair of the 4 of us ... thick and curly and strawberry blond!)

cath_b
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM

I feel your pain. I had the same problem but the other way around. People kept referring to DS as SHE, HER even though he is all in blue. He was born with lots of hair that grew so fast and curled at the ends, that's probably why people thought he was a she. He did not look like a girl to me but then again, I am his mother. It got to the point where I got so tired correcting people I just did not bother anymore.

DD was born with very little hair and I am not a fan of the color pink nor the bow (I swear those are the silliest things I could ever put on my hairless DD) that sits on the forehead anyway. I have her wear brown and blue or purple or light green or light yellow fortunately she was never mistaken for a HE. DD still has short hair but thicker now. :)

catpagmo
07-30-2010, 04:36 PM
DS2 -- NOT a girl
/hillary

OMGosh! What a sweetheart!

I have the same problem with DS. He is 17 months, and everyone thinks he's a girl. He has long curly hair, too. People are crazy.

cath_b
07-30-2010, 04:38 PM
I saw a onesie on vacation that said "NOT a boy"

Your entire post made me chuckle. I wish I had one of these for DS that said "NOT A GIRL" and believe me I looked but was unsuccessful.

carolinamama
07-30-2010, 08:58 PM
Same reason my DS dressed in a shirt with a blue tractor on it is a girl. I don't know - guess people don't pay any attention but it's annoying.

MamaMolly
07-30-2010, 09:26 PM
"That tractor looks belligerent!")

awesome!!!

HIU8
07-30-2010, 10:07 PM
People do not pay any attention. I get "lovely boy" about DD who is 3, had long hair and basically only wears dresses. I also get comments such as your twins are adorable--DS is 5.5, DD is 3. they look totally different as well. I really think people just open their mouths and have no idea what they are saying most of the time.

charmcitymom
07-30-2010, 10:53 PM
This entire thread has made me laugh at how silly people can be. My DS has a beautiful smile and curly hair and EVERY time we have been to the airport with him people ask if he's a girl. I guess people must think that we're from an exotic place where girls look like boys and vice versa. I just don't get it.

BTW, I loved the comment about the tractor on the t-shirt. I'm going to start to look a little more judiciously at the clothes choices I make!

cath_b
07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
People do not pay any attention. I get "lovely boy" about DD who is 3, had long hair and basically only wears dresses. I also get comments such as your twins are adorable--DS is 5.5, DD is 3. they look totally different as well. I really think people just open their mouths and have no idea what they are saying most of the time.

I sometimes have to scratch my head and wonder, "Dude, are you on something?" Smile and walk away.

doberbrat
08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm a little antisocial. I dont even bother correcting people when they take a look at my 8mo dd w/a pink dress and earrings and say what a handsome boy. I smile and say thanks and go about my business. There's no fixing stupid.

lizzywednesday
08-02-2010, 08:42 AM
LOL ... FWIW, we get "how old is he?" all the time with DD!

OK, so 90% of the time, I'm either wearing her in my black-and-camel Ergo or pushing her in her green-and-brown stroller, and I absolutely DESPISE the color pink so she has very little of it in her wardrobe ... and we never carry her ONE-AND-ONLY doll with us (her designated car seat toys are her owl and her monkey and sometimes Sophie the Giraffe) so, sure, I understand.

But there are still times that I wish people would stop trying to guess her SEX and just compliment us on what a cute BABY she is!!!

(ITA with doberbrat, above, though ... there's just no fixing stupid.)

YouAreTheFocus
08-04-2010, 07:37 PM
I just found this thread....I get this all the time with my curly-haired boy! How old is she, what's her name, she's so cute, etc. We even had a potential babysitter call him "little momma"! When I've talked w/ ppl about it they say, "it's the hair" or "it's the big blue eyes." Why can't boys have curly hair? Or big eyes? Or be pretty?

Another DS--NOT a girl:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_qqHrEcRt-GE/TFg6c5ixRZI/AAAAAAAAC1g/MvJv4iYxyyE/s144/IMG_5972.JPG

alexsmommy
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Yep, all. the. time. Head to toe blue, with some traditionally boy theme applique - "Oh what a beautiful girl." Yep, he's beautiful, I'll give you that, but he's also a HE. Whatever. I just smile and take the compliment on his good looks.

It is fun when DS1 speaks up. He now knows if he can't hold back to say, "Thank you for the compliment, but that's my BROTHER!"

Octobermommy
08-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Your entire post made me chuckle. I wish I had one of these for DS that said "NOT A GIRL" and believe me I looked but was unsuccessful.

They also had a "NOT a girl" onesie but that was 3 yes ago in breckenridge Colorado at a cute kids store. ; )

MoJo
08-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Up until a few months ago, about 80% of strangers thought DD#1 was a boy, even though she frequently wears pink clothes or embroidered dresses and has great eyelashes. But she had very short hair, and lots of my gear is gender neutral. MIL said I should tape a bow to her head, but I never did that.

I had the "I am not a boy!" onesie for her, and have the "Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice" onesie waiting for DD#2. Although she has more hair, and so far about 50% of people are correctly guessing her gender.

Corie
08-04-2010, 09:34 PM
My son had long white-blond hair for a long time. He'd be walking around
town in mini Boden camo pants and a dinosaur shirt and STILL be called a girl.

He finally requested to have his hair cut short.

klwa
08-05-2010, 06:50 AM
My old profile picture on FB was of the whole family, including DD dressed in a sweet little dress. Ex-BF tries to get me to friend him & writes in the little comment section, "Wow, 2 boys? That's great!" Ah well, he wouldn't be an ex if he weren't an idiot, right? :)

lizzywednesday
08-05-2010, 09:50 AM
My son had long white-blond hair for a long time. He'd be walking around
town in mini Boden camo pants and a dinosaur shirt and STILL be called a girl.

He finally requested to have his hair cut short.

9 years ago, my sibs and I tied our brother Joe down and ambushed him, Delilah-style, to cut his long, curly, blonde hair because our great-uncle asked about our sister.

Joe was 17 at the time.

So this doesn't just apply to babies & younger boys!!!

ewpmsw
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Two of my nieces were baldish until well past their first birthdays. No matter how much pink, lavender or lace they wore, people in the grocery store would inevitably mistake them for boys. The next question was always, "And is he yours?" Kind of awkward when you're 12-14 years old. I think there is something about walking into a grocery store that makes some people lose their marbles and ask crazy questions. The lighting, maybe?