PDA

View Full Version : This week . . . weepy with insomnia

sste
07-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Does this mean the end is near? I am almost 36 weeks. I cannot go on much longer like this. The inability to fall asleep just started this week and it is brutal. And I don't know if it is the sleep deprivation or the pregnancy hormones that are causing the weepiness but this just sucks.

Has anyone experienced this as a marker that delivery should be in a week or two?

Any anything that works for late pregnancy insomnia?

I have tried melatonin but it wakes me up in the middle of the night and I actually was a former insomniac successfully treated with CBT and I have tried some of those techniques again, but pregnancy insomnia is just DIFFERENT.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 01:32 PM
No. Unfortunately, insomnia is a marker of being huge, uncomfortable & having too much to think about. When I truly can't fall asleep, I either sit up on the laptop until my eyes are drooping or I hug my body pillow & listen to classical music on my ipod. Either method works decently.

egoldber
07-30-2010, 01:35 PM
The hypnobirthing CDs worked very well for me in helping me get to sleep. Any progressive relaxation CD would work the same way though.

If you are open to meds, you can try Benadryl. Some OBs will even prescribe Ambien.

newg
07-30-2010, 02:32 PM
My OB told me I can take Benadryl or Tylenol PM.....when I was at the hospital a few weeks ago they also offered me Ambien if I needed it.

I'm also 36 weeks........my scheduled c-section is three weeks away and I haven't been sleeping for about two weeks now. I started playing games on my Ipod touch while I'm laying in bed and that has helped alot this week.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm 35 weeks & I'm hoping the next 3 weeks or so will pass very quickly. I can't walk or sit or lie down or do anything comfortably.

Andi98989
07-30-2010, 04:17 PM
I took Unisom; it made a difference for me. My friend took Ambien her whole 3rd trimester - she was having a lot of trouble sleeping due to carpal tunnel pain.

ThreeofUs
07-30-2010, 04:28 PM
It's one sign the end of pregnancy is approaching (but not there yet, kwim?) for me.

I meditate and sleep in a glider with my feet up, so if I wake up I can rock myself back to sleep. I can't tell you how many late nights I had.

Hugs.

ewpmsw
07-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm 37-38 weeks and dealing with insomnia and restlessness. I agree with pp's that it's probably more of a sign that mind and body just have a lot going on here at the end. I don't sleep well even when I'm not pg, but have found that getting up and away from the bed for a little bit helps. I'll go and sit in the den in the dark and try to relax before going back to bed. Wish I had some better advice for you, mama. Hope you can take something or find something that will give you some relief.

GonnaBeNana
07-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Insomnia was an early sign of pregnancy for me; like tender breasts or a missed period! Now, I'm a chronic sufferer and you're right, it is brutal. I was up past 4am twice this week, even though I'd taken my regularly prescribed medications.

My OB/GYN also told me that benadryl was safe to take throughout pregnancy. I agree with PP's that much of the insomnia is due to normal "it's almost time anxiety" and just being uncomfortable.

Beth

sste
07-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

I am not a purist and I can't imagine a little benadryl or unisom is any worse than the stress hormones/sleep deprivation effects. . . I am going to cvs tonight to stock up! Unfortunately, I tend to develop a psychological dependence on ambien and as part of my insomnia treatment last year ended up weaning off of it and flushing my last (beloved) ambien pills.

I guess misery loves company as I am very relieved to hear that I am not the only lumbering, emotional, uncomfortable pregger in the final weeks. If I see one more glowing early second trimester mom prancing around my neighborhood I am going to lose it!!

ewpmsw
07-30-2010, 06:45 PM
I guess misery loves company as I am very relieved to hear that I am not the only lumbering, emotional, uncomfortable pregger in the final weeks. If I see one more glowing early second trimester mom prancing around my neighborhood I am going to lose it!!

I made the mistake of telling a mom in the home stretch to "hang in there" when I was around the 2nd trimester. Now I see why she wasn't thrilled to hear it! If one more person says it to me, or "this too shall pass", I may go all Hulk on them. I appreciate people trying to be nice. But in the moment, when the hormones are in control... Sigh. Trying to remember not to say it to other mamas at this point, so I'll just say good luck and send some positive thoughts your way.

swissair81
07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Around here, everyone is having their babies left & right & I am still here in all my enormous glory. Could I please hibernate for the next few weeks?

Oh, and benadryl does not put me to sleep. It doesn't do anything for me but relieve itching. Nice, no?

GonnaBeNana
07-30-2010, 09:21 PM
"I guess misery loves company as I am very relieved to hear that I am not the only lumbering, emotional, uncomfortable pregger in the final weeks. If I see one more glowing early second trimester mom prancing around my neighborhood I am going to lose it!! "

This reminds me of the women I'd end up weighing in behind while pregnant and being treated in a military hospital. There'd be a line of us at the scale and without fail, I'd end up behind the woman who was 38 weeks pregnant and sobbing because she'd gained 12 pounds! I came very close several times to knocking them clean off that scale!!!

Beth

bostonsmama
07-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Ugh, I hated Ambien. I took 2 pills one night and literally WOKE UP what felt like 2 seconds later at 7am. It was the weirdest feeling in the world! Then, when I tried to wean off of it, I had horrible rebound insomnia. It was better than 1 night of sleep for every 4-5 days, nearly crashing my car, jitters, insanity, etc, but geesh! I tried Lunesta a year later (insurance usually won't cover it unless you had bad sideFX on Ambien), and it didn't work as quickly, but the amnesia was much better...and less addictive.

Enjoy the Benadryl if it works. During my worst insominia it didn't help. Try the Hypnobirthing CDs. Some libraries carry the books & CDs (in-book), which would be a great solution. I loved it during my 3rd pg! Of course, I'm still in the 2nd tri, so my inability to sleep now is purely mental (although it *IS* frustrating to not be able to sleep on your back--where I sleep the deepest).