PDA

View Full Version : How far ahead do you buy toys?

garnetgirl
07-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I remember a clothes thread about buying ahead, but I'm curious (especially in light of recent toy deals) if people have an organized approach to buying toys as gifts either for your own or other kids. At Target I recently bought toys for upcoming occasions but also several items that my baby won't be able to play with for months or even a few years. Everything was a really good deal, I probably would have bought them anyway at some point, and I have enough storage space. What do other people do about toy sales? Do you pass if you see things that you don't have an immediate use for? How far ahead do you buy toy gifts?

lchang25000
07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
I've bought for a few years in advance. I figure I can always give it away as a gift to someone else if DS doesn't use it. We have plenty of storage space also....just hope DH never finds my secret stash! I just can't pass up on great deals!!

alien_host
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
I buy board games ahead...figuring most of those don't go out of "style". I have games that are rated 8 and up...DD is 5 (although some games probably can be played earlier anyway).

I don't buy electronics really, or video type games...for example we have the Leapster...I wouldn't buy DS games now, since what she likes might change.

Whatever I don't use I figure I can donate or use for gifts.

Toys based on TV characters I don't really buy ahead either. I don't buy ahead as much now as I did when she was maybe 1 or 2 (things for 3 and up...especially playfood type things).

Meatball Mommie
07-30-2010, 06:39 PM
I buy board games ahead...figuring most of those don't go out of "style". I have games that are rated 8 and up...DD is 5 (although some games probably can be played earlier anyway).

I don't buy electronics really, or video type games...for example we have the Leapster...I wouldn't buy DS games now, since what she likes might change.

Whatever I don't use I figure I can donate or use for gifts.

Toys based on TV characters I don't really buy ahead either. I don't buy ahead as much now as I did when she was maybe 1 or 2 (things for 3 and up...especially playfood type things).

:yeahthat:
I've purchased some board type games already (Amazon deals around Christmas) that are stored for later. I don't do too much now as we are on a tight budget, but some things are too good to pass up! In the past, those things that I bought ahead, I've either (a) given them to my kids at Xmas/bday; (b) given to other kids for bdays; or (c) eventually donated when options (a) and (b) weren't available. Last Christmas I donated a bunch of toddler-age puzzles/toys that I don't really have anyone to give to anymore and it felt good to give nice, educational stuff that I got a good deal on!

I think you have to be careful, just like with clothes, that you don't do too much of any one thing. With that said, my kids aren't that into board games :( I wish they were, as I LOVED them (and still do). I keep buying them in the hopes of finding "the right one" ha ha

ewpmsw
07-30-2010, 07:08 PM
We buy for our nieces and DD up to a year in advance, but they're all under 9 right now - I'm guessing it will get harder to buy in advance as they get older and have more sophisticated gift preferences. We just store the gifts in a tote until birthdays and holidays roll around. Most of them are crafts, games, beads, ornaments, paper dolls or toys their parents have requested.