PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Check books before sending as gifts to children

Ceepa
07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Deleting identifying info. ;)

egoldber
07-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Um, wow. Maybe they clicked on the wrong book?

WatchingThemGrow
07-30-2010, 01:38 PM
maybe it was to see if you were pre-screeners?

Ceepa
07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Um, wow. Maybe they clicked on the wrong book?

The giver picked it out at the bookstore. :rotflmao:

egoldber
07-30-2010, 01:41 PM
LOL! Oops.

Binkandabee
07-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Wow! Wonder if this book was located in the children's section?

♥ms.pacman♥
07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
that is so funny. i guess the giver didn't realize that it wasn't for kids? i would be soo embarrassed if i ended up giving such an inappropriate gift!!

reminds me of this past December when DH& I went to see the "Nutty Nutrcracker", which is a parody of the real Nutcracker. It is totally only for adults,with references to politics, sex, boobs, etc (link to descrip/pics here (http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/dec/22/nutcracker-gets-nutty-texas-ballet-theaters-fort-w/)). Well the crazy thing was, we were seated in the 2nd row next to a family with two young girls (looked like age 4 and 7 or something). After the first 10 minutes, the parents (especially the dad) looked absolutely mortified, and was literally burying in his head in his hands (when he wasn't trying to cover his kids' eyes, or answer his kids constant questions of "what's that?" or "what's "Viagara"?). :ROTFLMAO: They stayed for a bit longer but as soon as the intermission came up they left. i figured what happened was whoever bought the tickets thot they were buying them for the traditional Nutcracker, and not the politically incorrect parody. I felt soo bad for them. I can't imagine, paying $$ for the tickets, and going thru all the trouble to bring your kids to the ballet in the freezing weather and then you end up watching an PG-13 rated ballet. i would be beyond horrified!

ett
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I feel like I've seen this book at the children's bargain section at Borders. Maybe that is where the gift giver got it at.

DebbieJ
07-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Yeah, my MIL gave DS1 some weird book from a local author once. The author even signed it! LOL

It was about "where is my soul" or something bizarre like that.

It went in the Goodwill bag.

Andi98989
07-30-2010, 03:47 PM
LOL!!

Looks like you weren't the only one to get it ....

I can't believe that this book was sold in the children's section of the bookstore. The book is vulgar, profane, and totally inappropriate for children. The cover has sexual intercourse between a man and a woman, a man "flipping off" the reader, and nude women. The page opposite the copyright page has a quote of "All governments are lying coc*!?&#*rs". We received the book, along with 21 other 8 year olds, as a gift. Let's just say that my 40 year old husband is the only person who enjoyed reading this filth. This book is falsely advertised as a children's atlas and even falsely reviewed on your website. There aren't any reviews that talk about the continuous "f bombs", "nudity", "sexual drawings", or "political profanity". There is nothing in this book that is appealing to children at all! The author is doing a major disservice to the millions of people who think that this is simply an ATLAS for children. DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MamaSnoo
07-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Oh dear.....maybe I should pick up a copy for MIL?

Melaine
07-30-2010, 05:12 PM
What in the WORLD?

HallsofVA
07-31-2010, 12:28 AM
I agree with the recommendation to look at or read a book before you gift it.

My son's godmother knew he was into Native American Indians, so while at the Native American museum in DC, she bought him a book. Seemed like a nice gift.

Unfortunately, the story turns out to be a public service/health warning book in disguise. The premise is that the wise old eagle is sad because the people are eating poorly, not exercising and developing diabetes as a result, and the book includes a large section on diabetes education and preventation.

My son is not obese (about 41 pounds at age 6), suffering from diabetes, or Native American, and everytime that book comes up to be read, I have to explain what diabetes is and why the book was written.