PDA

View Full Version : more car buying questions

ewpmsw
07-30-2010, 06:53 PM
We are going to the dealership tomorrow night and will probably buy a car after months of dithering. I feel like we keep getting hung up on the color question and can not figure out for the life of me why it's so critical to the salesman. We have told him we don't want to pay extra for a particular color, don't really care which color we get, as long as it's the cheapest vehicle available that meets our other specs. Can anyone tell me why color is so important in the process? We're looking for base models, no extra packages if it can be helped, and don't need the bells and whistles.

I am also wondering if it is to our beneift or the dealership's for us to be buying a car at the end of the month.

TIA for any feedback. :)

cntrymoon2
07-30-2010, 10:05 PM
IMO, he's dickering over color as a way to add more $ onto your bill...i.e. "We can only get you the silver with extra trim package and rust undercoating"

Also, it is definitely to his advantage to buy a car at the end of the month- they are all trying to meet month end sales quotas and goals.

Have you tried going through internet sales at all? Then you can eliminate all the haggling and just go in to sign the papers.

AnnieW625
07-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Have you tried going through internet sales at all? Then you can eliminate all the haggling and just go in to sign the papers.

This is what we did, including the test drive of two cars by both DH and myself (we had DD1 with us at the time and DH thought it would be best if we each test drove the cars we were interested in) were in and out in a little less than 3 hours.

SnuggleBuggles
07-30-2010, 11:49 PM
I 100% recommend going to Edmunds' and send out a price quote request to every dealership that participates (majority do!) in a 50, 75, 100+ mile radius. Email them exactly what you said- you want to get a price quote for a base model vehicle with no added accessories, what kind of transmission you want and let them know that color is a non issue. You will get quotes pretty promptly, especially if it is a business day. It's awesome when the car you want is in short supply and you can really see the price variation as different dealerships try and sell you the same car (I wanted a specific color and there was only one in the vicinity). You negotiate online or by phone, go in, sign, leave. Easy peasy. Just be honest about everything you do and don't want in that email and get it done.

Beth

wellyes
07-31-2010, 01:33 AM
I am also wondering if it is to our beneift or the dealership's for us to be buying a car at the end of the month.

I think it helps - it certainly can't hurt. Every car I've ever bought I've bought at or around Dec 31, double-whammy of end of month and end of year.
I feel like we keep getting hung up on the color question and can not figure out for the life of me why it's so critical to the salesman. We have told him we don't want to pay extra for a particular color, don't really care which color we get, as long as it's the cheapest vehicle available that meets our other specs. Can anyone tell me why color is so important in the process? We're looking for base models, no extra packages if it can be helped, and don't need the bells and whistles.

Well, you're not giving him anything to work with there - you just want the cheapest. There are car salesmen who will work with you on that, but he sounds like he doesn't want to. If I were you I'd find another dealer to find a salesman who more suits your style.

codex57
07-31-2010, 05:23 AM
Well, you're not giving him anything to work with there - you just want the cheapest. There are car salesmen who will work with you on that, but he sounds like he doesn't want to. If I were you I'd find another dealer to find a salesman who more suits your style.

I agree. My parents buy from car dealers without going thru the internet dept. The only ones who care what color they sell you are trying to really screw you. Not just make a profit, which is perfectly reasonable. I mean try and cheat you out of more money unnecessarily.

Now, to be fair, color is what matters the most to most buyers. Having the color helps narrow things down for the sales person so they can more easily help you find a car that you like.

However, it still shouldn't matter much to the sales person. A car just represents a $ amount to him. He might be limited to what's on his lot, but he really shouldn't press much on the color thing. A normal one would just go, "these are the cars we have. They all cost $X amount. They have the bare minimum # of the options you wanted so they're the cheapest. There's only Y number of colors, but feel free to pick one."

ewpmsw
07-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks, all. I've taken a look at the other car buying threads on here, too. Lots of food for thought and good info.

ray7694
07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
I wanted a specific car color and they really wanted to sell me what was on the lot. I think they want to unload the lot rather than looking elsewhere as not all dealerships will trade. In the end I said the deal is off if you can't find it and they FOUND it.

Play hardball.