PDA

View Full Version : This case is so sad and strange

himom
07-31-2010, 06:54 AM
This very young woman is obsessed with weight -- both hers and that of her babies. One of her kids only gained 1 pound from birth to 2 months. She lost custody of both her kids, then gave her 5 month old a laxative on one of the times they were allowed visitation. Now she's 36 weeks pregnant. There are certainly some other mental health issues at play here, but it's especially sad to me to see that the American obsession with body image probably influenced this woman into believing starving her kids was the best thing for them. :nodno:

Check it out:
http://tinyurl.com/28zckpl

sunshine873
07-31-2010, 07:22 AM
It's also sad that the state Child Protective Services won't get involved until the baby is born. Hopefully that baby will be watched very closely by someone, because I think this woman has more than proven that she is ill and not capable of giving her kids what they need.

Tondi G
07-31-2010, 01:19 PM
wow... what a nutcase! I hope they find a way to remove the baby from her care immediately at birth. So scary and sad.

BabyMine
07-31-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm wondering if it's post partum psychosis.

That charge came after their second daughter, born in August 2008, gained only one pound in her first two months of life — prompting authorities to place the child and her then 2-year-old sister in protective custody.
The Labbertons both pleaded guilty and face up to a year in jail for the gross misdemeanor.
According to charging papers, Labberton was depressed, suicidal and homicidal after delivering her second child in August 2008 and failed to adequately feed her. After the child was removed from their Bellevue home and began to gain weight in foster care, the couple told authorities they feared she was becoming "fat."

MamaMolly
07-31-2010, 02:13 PM

This is exactly what I was thinking too. It sounds to me like Mom isn't getting the mental support she desperately needs. How sad for everyone!

♥ms.pacman♥
07-31-2010, 02:55 PM
wow it seems like like she's definitely got anorexia, depression and a host of other issues (probably post-partum psychosis). i hope that unborn baby gets taken away from her as soon as possible b4 she does something she ends up regretting. sure, taking a baby away from his/her mom has got to be horrible, but nowhere near as bad as other possible consequences.

i can't imagine, starving a poor baby. this lady MUST be insane.

amm40
07-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Seriously something wrong there.
and... Trigs below:

Something similar thing happened with a girl who went to high school with me. She had a baby, continued going to school while her mom took care of the child. People knew the grandma was a little nuts about food, like not letting the family eat much. The baby's grandpa routinely stopped by McD's on the way home because he knew he wouldn't get a real meal there. It was pretty obvious by the time the baby was 6 months old or so that he wasn't healthy, just had pasty skin tone and kind of listless iirc. I think they were investigated, but the baby ended up dying :( Grandma was convicted and did or is doing time in jail. So sad and needless!

Reyadawnbringer
07-31-2010, 10:30 PM

The quote you included mentioned the couple. Not just the mom. Post partum psychosis for both parents?