PDA

View Full Version : Update: still an issue? Sick child question

hillview
08-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Update after feeling a lot better DS is complaining of a headache again. He is not dehydrated -- has been peeing like a racehorse after a liter or more of pedilite and water. Would you be concerned?
/hillary
==
DS1 is just 5 years old. He seemed fine this morning (ate breakfast, played in playground) at the playground he freaked out when DH was putting sunblock on him -- saying DH was hurting his neck -- I tried he also complained. Sometimes he will complain like this (once he gets going) so we didn't think anything of it. On the way back to the car from the playground he said his head hurts (no head injuries on playground) by the time we got into the car he was crying that his head hurt. He cried for about a mile and he was also hot from being outside so I went to a 7-11 and got him a bottle of water. He stopped crying. We got home and in 1 hr he has gone from 99.5 to 101.2. He says his head still hurts but he isn't crying. He is lounging. He has more water.

Would you be concerned?

/hillary

sariana
08-01-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. I know that when I get "fluish" (not really the flu, but a cold with aches and such), my skin sometimes gets really sensitive. Sometimes that is my first symptom, before I get any sniffles or anything else.

So maybe your DS has picked up a virus, and it's coming on in stages?

writermama
08-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd be a little concerned about the head hurts/neck sensitivity complaint, because kids aren't always really clear in describing their symptoms.

When he is lying down flat, ask him to look at his toes. If he says that hurts or refuses to do it, take him to an urgent care center or ER. Also take him to the ER immediately if he develops other symptoms on this list ( http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083700.asp )

Otherwise, it could very well be, and probably is, just a general kid illness ... the headache could be sinus pressure from a cold or a symptom of dehydration. Treatment for both includes rest and drinking lots of liquids.

Trust your mommy instincts and call your ped anytime you think you might need to call your ped.

hillview
08-01-2010, 12:52 PM
When he is lying down flat, ask him to look at his toes.

When he does this he says it hurts his head -- top of his head. Not his neck.

I might call ...
/hillary

writermama
08-01-2010, 12:56 PM
When he does this he says it hurts his head -- top of his head. Not his neck.

Hmm. If it were me, I wouldn't run straight to the ER yet, but I would put in a call to the ped.

I hope it's nothing and he feels better soon.

hillview
08-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Hmm. If it were me, I wouldn't run straight to the ER yet, but I would put in a call to the ped.

I hope it's nothing and he feels better soon.

Thanks I called and waiting for a call back.
/hillary

hillview
08-01-2010, 01:34 PM
The nurse called and suggested giving him some motrin (not recalled!) and calling her back in an hr. He just said his back hurts. He can still easily and painlessly touch his chin to his chest.
/hillary

bubbaray
08-01-2010, 01:36 PM
DD#1 gets like this when she's dehydrated or gets too much sun.

Hope he's better soon

hillview
08-01-2010, 02:58 PM
The motrin and 2 glasses of fluid and he seems to be feeling a lot better. Thanks all!
/hillary

ThreeofUs
08-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Good. Hope he continues to feel fine. Watch for any more complaints, though, about neck or back, and take them seriously.

hillview
08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
bump update in original post
/hillary

bubbaray
08-01-2010, 06:55 PM
How long since his last dose of Motrin/Advil? If its been 6h, I'd give another dose. If he still has a headache that Motrin/Advil d/n help and he is well hydrated, I would take him to a clinic/ER.

hillview
08-01-2010, 07:01 PM
How long since his last dose of Motrin/Advil? If its been 6h, I'd give another dose. If he still has a headache that Motrin/Advil d/n help and he is well hydrated, I would take him to a clinic/ER.

It has been exactly 6 hrs so I can give him another dose. I was thinking I wouldn't need to and/or that I needed to see him how he worked out. I will give him some.
/hillary

randomkid
08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Update after feeling a lot better DS is complaining of a headache again. He is not dehydrated -- has been peeing like a racehorse after a liter or more of pedilite and water. Would you be concerned?
/hillary

Does he still have a fever? I sometime get headaches with low grade fevers. Try Motrin again? I wouldn't be concerned about the neck/back complaints. I think it's very common to feel achy with fever. I was concerned about DD once when she had fever and complained of her neck hurting. It was then that I found out that with meningitis, the neck literally gets stiff - they can't move it. Hence the reason PP said to have him lie down and look at his toes. If they CAN'T do that, then there is cause for concern.

Sounds to me like he has some illness starting and is just complaining of aches due to fever. Have you called the nurse back yet?

ThreeofUs
08-01-2010, 08:18 PM
I'd get an appt with the doc tomorrow JIC.

hillview
08-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Ok he is in bed -- gave him a dose of motrin before bed (second of the day, 6 hrs apart) fever was 99 so not really a fever. He seems ok -- not lethargic. I head to NYC tomorrow (GREAT timing). I am telling DH to take him to the doc if he seems worse and or has more severe neck pains. My mom is also around.

Thanks all -- hope we have a peaceful night of sleep -- I will cancel my trip if he is worse in the am.
/hillary