PDA

View Full Version : Money management software? UPDATE in OP

pb&j
08-01-2010, 02:15 PM
It turns out that my bank offers FinanceWorks (powered by Quicken). I finally checked it out and it is exactly Quicken Online!! I can even link it up with any other accounts and CC's I have. Hopefully this one won't get Mint-ized any time soon.

---------------------------
Since Quicken Online is about to go away, I'm looking for a replacement. I tried Mint.com (same parent as Quicken), but found it lacking - you can't even set up recurring transactions. This is a no-go for me - I need to forecasting that Quicken online had. I've heard of Yodlee but don't know anything about it. I'm open to either web-based or a download. I don't need anything fancy - I'm just keeping track of my checking and savings accounts.

What are you all using?

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I think DH said those exact same words to me last week. Glad you asked!

sariana
08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Why not just buy Quicken? We use it and really like it. You can set it up to download things automatically if you want, such as stock prices, and somehow you can connect it to online accounts, too, I think. We don't use this feature (we enter all data by hand), so I'm not sure how it all works.

elektra
08-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Same boat here. I have already complained to Mint about it. I don't see the point unless you can input transactions to track paying bills.
Quicken Online wasn't perfect either but it was free and it worked for me.

pb&j
08-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Why not just buy Quicken? We use it and really like it. You can set it up to download things automatically if you want, such as stock prices, and somehow you can connect it to online accounts, too, I think. We don't use this feature (we enter all data by hand), so I'm not sure how it all works.

'Cause it's 50 bucks! ;)

I enter as little as possible by hand - I let Quicken Online talk to my bank account. Makes it SO much easier for me, as I use my debit card for almost everything.

sariana
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
'Cause it's 50 bucks! ;)

I enter as little as possible by hand - I let Quicken Online talk to my bank account. Makes it SO much easier for me, as I use my debit card for almost everything.

True, but amortized over the number of years you can use it (we're still using 2006), it's really not that much. I wish I could tell you more about linking your accounts and such, but as I said, we don't use that feature.

kbud
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Mint does allow you to enter transactions now. You can enter outstanding checks, cash and pending expenses and income. This is a relatively new feature. You still can't enter transactions manually on the Iphone/touch app. I switched to Mint about 6 months ago. I was not sure at first because it was a bit lacking. I must say thought that I love it. I've saved so much time by letting it automatically update everything that I used to do manually. Now that I can enter manual transactions I think it's great. I couldn't find recurring transactions but I must say I've never used that feature much. Since it automatically updates for me I don't have a need for it. They are constantly adding new features. I've heard they are planning on adding many of the quicken features so keep an eye on it.

My favorite part is once I set up my budget my transactions automatically go into the correct categories. Oh, and it's free!

clc053103
08-01-2010, 05:07 PM
I was an MS Money user and my computer crashed- which is when I discovered that MS is no longer supporting it 2 years after purchase or 1/2011, whichever comes first. It wasn't worth reloading it for a few months' use. I then tried MINT.com and you are right, it is so lacking. Not being able to forecast bills as recurring payments made is useless.
I finally went to Staples and bought Quicken starter edition for $29.99 (and staples has had $5 off coupons lately). Easy to set up, works well. I didn't need the stock prices etc that came with more advanced versions, so the starter met my needs perfectly for 1/2 the price.

pb&j
08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Mint does allow you to enter transactions now. You can enter outstanding checks, cash and pending expenses and income. This is a relatively new feature. You still can't enter transactions manually on the Iphone/touch app. I switched to Mint about 6 months ago. I was not sure at first because it was a bit lacking. I must say thought that I love it. I've saved so much time by letting it automatically update everything that I used to do manually. Now that I can enter manual transactions I think it's great. I couldn't find recurring transactions but I must say I've never used that feature much. Since it automatically updates for me I don't have a need for it. They are constantly adding new features. I've heard they are planning on adding many of the quicken features so keep an eye on it.

My favorite part is once I set up my budget my transactions automatically go into the correct categories. Oh, and it's free!

My problem is not that I can't enter pending transactions, it's that I can't set up recurring transactions. In order to forecast, I would have to manually enter all my pending transactions for the next x days, which I don't care to do. The forecasting/recurring transactions are pretty much the most important features to me in money management software.

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2010, 05:38 PM
My problem is not that I can't enter pending transactions, it's that I can't set up recurring transactions. In order to forecast, I would have to manually enter all my pending transactions for the next x days, which I don't care to do. The forecasting/recurring transactions are pretty much the most important features to me in money management software.
That's what was good for DH too. He liked knowing in advance if we were in danger of bouncing a payment, then being able transfer funds.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-01-2010, 05:52 PM

yeah, we've been doing this for years. love it. makes everything so much easier, and yes u can automatically download everything from banks, cc company, etc.

June Mommy2
08-02-2010, 03:01 PM
I would really like to find an alternative to Quicken as well. I've used the software for years, but recently for no apparant reason my 2009 version just stopped working (as in, I can't even get it to open.) I've been back and forth with their online CS and tried everything, even uninstalling several times and reinstalling from a new, free, link that they sent. No dice. Upon googling, it looks like several people have had this problem with the newer versions. I'm reluctant to go buy a new version of Quicken after this. I don't mind manually entering transactions. I may see if Mint.com will work for us.

Beckylove
08-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I hate mint. I deleted my account today. I have been signed up for a month and it has been one technical problem after another. I contacted customer service and they sent a reply that assumes I am a complete idiot. When I contacted them again, they escalated the problem to the programmer level, and it has been weeks without contact or some sort of timeframe on solving the problem.

I have been watching this thread and was thinking maybe I needed to bite the bullet and pay for quicken, but I was reading the Amazon reviews and they are pretty negative. And since Quicken is owned by intuit which also owns mint.com, lets just say I don't have a lot of confidence in the company.

Microsoft money is no longer an option-- is there anything I am overlooking?

I think I will just stick to my excel spreadsheet, which is working fine, I just got a little excited about the prospect of a bunch of cool features.

Dream
08-02-2010, 06:00 PM
I see the Quicken Starter Edition is available for download at $25.xx from amazon.com.

What is it lacking compared to the Delux?

clc053103
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
I see the Quicken Starter Edition is available for download at $25.xx from amazon.com.

What is it lacking compared to the Delux?

According to the box, the Starter Edition does not:
import data from all versions of Quicken
Brign al accounts together including 401K, IRA, 529, investments (Starter only does bank and credit cards- which is all I really wanted)
create a customized plan to reduce or eliminate debt
show what you need for retirement
create savings plans for college, house or large purchase

I was also scared after reading the reviews- how hard it is to set up....I took the chance and bought it and it actually was super simple to install and i was paying bills in no time- it even set up my bills for me based on the info it imported from my bank- which microsoft money never did!

etaylor75
08-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I've been looking at this:

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/Downloads/Software/dave-ramseys-personal-finance-software/prod726.html

Does anyone here have it?

Erin

Dream
08-02-2010, 11:23 PM
According to the box, the Starter Edition does not:
import data from all versions of Quicken
Brign al accounts together including 401K, IRA, 529, investments (Starter only does bank and credit cards- which is all I really wanted)
create a customized plan to reduce or eliminate debt
show what you need for retirement
create savings plans for college, house or large purchase

I was also scared after reading the reviews- how hard it is to set up....I took the chance and bought it and it actually was super simple to install and i was paying bills in no time- it even set up my bills for me based on the info it imported from my bank- which microsoft money never did!

Thanks, from what you're mentioned, at least for now the starter edition would work for me.

If anyone's interested, I saw Quicken Deluxe at $39.99 in the Best Buy flyer.

wimama
08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I've been looking at this:

http://www.daveramsey.com/store/Downloads/Software/dave-ramseys-personal-finance-software/prod726.html

Does anyone here have it?

Erin

I use You Need A Budget Pro (YNAB). I really like it and liked it better than the trial I did with Dave Ramsey's software on his site. The program focuses on your envelopes & zero based budget so it works well with Dave Ramsey's program. It can download transactions from your bank as well. Great program!:thumbsup:

elektra
08-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Reviving this thread as QuickenOnline is now officially dead.
Mint still sucks.
So did everyone just buy the regular Quicken?

yournamehere
08-30-2010, 04:49 AM
we were in the same boat w/ Microsoft money going bye bye. My husband handles the books and tried mint.com it was ok but then he tried yodlee and really liked it so he deleted our mint account and now we are using yodlee. We use it preimarily for checking and savings but did enter all our investment accounts, 401ks, Iras, assets and debts such as mortgage and credit cards. It works well.

WatchingThemGrow
08-30-2010, 06:49 AM
DH tried yodlee also, but decided it wasn't for him. He purchased Quicken Starter 2010 (pc based) for $23 and sees it as a bridge until something great comes along. He said QS has the rudimentary cash flow projection feature that he misses.