PDA

View Full Version : If you don't wash your hair every day ...

Toba
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
... do you still get it wet or no?

I have fine, naturally curly, very long hair and it's just awfully dry lately. I've always had dry hair so I've had to condition it every single time I wash it, but it's just getting worse. I know a lot of people don't wash their hair every day, but I'm wondering how I would get away with it. My plan is to get it totally wet and add a really good leave-in conditioner that my stylist recommended. I'm just worried that it will look greasy because I have fine hair. And I don't know how I would get away with not getting it wet daily because my curls are crushed or poofed out when I get out of bed in the morning.

crl
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
On days I don't wash it, I rinse mine when I take a shower.

Catherine

alexmommy
08-01-2010, 08:13 PM
I wash my hair 3-4x/week. My hair is long and wavy, but not curly. I braid it before going to bed (otherwise it is totally messy by morning), and use a showercap on my no-wash days. It looks okay to me on my no-wash days. I don't use any styling products, so I can get away with it, but a leave-in conidtioner might be a good idea--may try it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
No. I wash every other day. Unless I go to the gym or really get sweaty or dirty I also only take a shower every other day. My hair looks best 24 hours after being washed and continues too look good till 48 hours after...then it turns into a pumpkin and looks awful!

Beth

hillview
08-01-2010, 08:36 PM
No I don't get it wet. I wash it 2-3 times a week and the rest of the time I put it up and don't wet it.
/hillary

hillview
08-01-2010, 08:37 PM
No. I wash every other day. Unless I go to the gym or really get sweaty or dirty I also only take a shower every other day. My hair looks best 24 hours after being washed and continues too look good till 48 hours after...then it turns into a pumpkin and looks awful!

Beth

We have the same hair. EXACTLY my schedule. I can get away with it 3 days but not more unless I wear a ball cap.
/hillary

egoldber
08-01-2010, 08:48 PM

Yup, pretty much me too. Sometimes, by a mysterious alignment of the planets, it will look good on the third day too, but usually not.

ilfaith
08-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I wash my hair every other day (usually alternating with shaving my legs). On the days I don't wash my hair I wear a shower cap...because for me the main benefit of not washing my hair is not having to dry/style it.

g-mama
08-01-2010, 09:46 PM
I wash mine every other day and no, I don't get it wet. I put it up in a clip when I take a shower (which I have to do every day, sometimes twice!) and then fluff it up or put it up in a ponytail, esp in the summer. I don't dry it b/c mine also gets dry and I'm trying to avoid blowdrying too much.

peanut520
08-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Beth

:yeahthat:you just descibed my hair! i want to know when hair started to tell time!

boltfam
08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
I wash my hair every other day and I don't get it wet or anything. From the way your hair sounds, though, it sounds like a good idea to wet it and maybe put in a leave-in conditioner. Could you just lightly spray it with a water bottle so that it doesn't get too greasy? For some reason, it seems when my hair gets wet more often, it looks greasy faster.

lchang25000
08-01-2010, 11:57 PM
No I don't get it wet. I wash it 2-3 times a week and the rest of the time I put it up and don't wet it.
/hillary

:yeahthat:

sariana
08-02-2010, 12:05 AM
You might find that your hair will be less dry if you start to wash it less often. Washing hair (or skin for that matter) actually dries it out because it strips away the natural oils.

I can't advise you on how to make your curls look good on the second day, though. My hair is fine and stick straight. It takes a miracle to give my hair any body at all. alexmommy mentioned braiding; could that work for you?

dhano923
08-02-2010, 01:25 AM
/hillary

MommyAllison
08-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I wash my hair every 3-4 days, and use a shower cap in between. Mine is usually up or I use a flat iron on it, so getting it wet actually makes things more difficult for me. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Beth

this exactly my situation.

Twoboos
08-02-2010, 07:41 AM

Beth

Yes, this. Except I do shower every day,hair goes into a ponytail (ETA: in the shower) on no-wash days.

Second day hair is THE BEST!! 3rd day hair is pushing it. 4th day hair I'd better not be leaving the house.

Sometimes on 3rd day hair, I will wet it a little (get some water on my hands and splash on), and blow dry to give it some new life.

WolfpackMom
08-02-2010, 09:36 AM

Beth

lizzywednesday
08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I will sometimes use a dry shampoo to tame greasiness if I don't wash my hair, though it seems like the composition of my hair/scalp has changed since I had DD. It's still thick, but feels less greasy so I can push off washing a lot longer.

As for your conditioner, can you try conditioning only the ends and see how that works? Keep a dry shampoo or face-blotter sheets on hand for greasiness near your scalp & face and see if that helps extend your wash.

bostonsmama
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm an every other day washer as well. If I do a body wash in the shower, I put it up and put on a terry head band or wrap. My hair is wavy (although I blow it straight) and very long (down past my bra strap now), so I abhor taking the time to do a full blow out. If I'm pressed for time and still want to shower/look good, I will wash my scalp only in the sink w/ a gentle, organic moisturizing shampoo, then blow the roots dry/style the top, usually requiring less than 5 minutes. If it frizzes, I just touch it up w/ a flatiron. I can milk a blowout for 4 days doing that. ;) But I don't have a super dry problem--it's humid here and I'm more prone to oily vs dry in the summer.

LarsMal
08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
I "clean" (trying to go no 'poo, so I don't really "wash" it anymore) every other to every 3rd day. I am so jealous of those who have good 2nd or 3rd day hair! I have to wear my hair up on non-cleaning days. I can't sleep with my hair down so that probably doesn't help my situation! I end up with ponytail bumps in the morning so I have to keep it up.

Roni
08-02-2010, 08:36 PM
I recommend the book "Curly Girl--the Handbook" by Lorraine Massey. It sounds like you should shampoo less often and just use conditioner. You can use a spray bottle of water on days when you don't want to use conditioner.

Toba
08-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Thank you so much for all the replies. I wet my hair last night in the shower and just put a leave-in conditioner and my hair looks fine today. Tonight I'm not going to get to shower until before bed so I'm going to see if my DH knows how to braid hair ... I have a bum shoulder from a car accident and I can't do it on my own. I think the hair braiding will be necessary if I keep taking showers at night (it just feels so clean getting into bed with a freshly washed body) because wet curly hair doesn't turn out very well in the morning. LOL You guys had great tips!! Thanks!

babykj
08-08-2010, 12:42 PM
I have really long hair that I get hi-lites in and it is naturally curly too. I wear it up a lot in summer as it gets so hot here in Florida, but, you can use the dry shampoo that comes in a spray can to combat the oil on the scalp or use a little baby powder as it will absorb the oil. Just don't use too much as it will make it too difficult to get out till you wash it...!!!

AnnieW625
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I take a shower daily, sometimes twice daily if I go for a run or have a really sweaty workout on my lunch hour. I have thick, wavy (but in no way curly) hair so I just pull it back in a ponytail on the days I don't wash it (which is usually every other day, unless I got really sweaty at the gym during a step class; then I will wash it the next morning). My hair is very similar in style to Courtney Cox's hair style as Monica on Friends. Pretty easy to manage.

kijip
08-08-2010, 01:13 PM
I don't shower everyday unless I really need it. Like I fell in the mud roller skating or something. Not that THAT has ever happened. :bag

If I shower and it's not time to wash my hair, I use a shower cap.

First day hair, the day I wash it, it is bane of my existence. 24-48 hours are good. After that, I goop it up, locate the hair powder, find a head band and have punk-ish hair for a day before the washing. Punk-ish hair is good date night hair (reminds my husband of when we first met) and is actually preferable to first day hair, which is good for nothing hair. If I have a presentation, important meeting or special event I wash my hair 1 day in advance.

gatorsmom
08-08-2010, 05:03 PM
/hillary

:yeahthat: I just brush mine out.