PDA

View Full Version : What Happens at the Pyschologist Vist?

Indianamom2
08-01-2010, 10:22 PM
We have the name of a child pyschologist that our pedi recommended for DD#1. She has some major anxiety issues and as others in our family do as well, we want to get her help now, if at all possible.

I plan to call to set up an appt/consultation this week, but I've never done anything like this before. What happens? Do they typically consult with the parents first? Do they take the child somewhere separate from the parents during regular visits? Basically, I'm just wondering if someone can give me some idea of what to expect.

Thanks.

lalasmama
08-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Being a foster child, La has been to several mental health professionals (MHP) over the last 5-ish years.

IME, the initial consult visit will have parent/s speaking to MHP seperate from the child, then the child seperate from the parent/s, then every one together. They want to have the parent/s' input as to what the parent is hoping to accomplish, why they feel they need the services of a MHP, etc. And they bring the child back seperately to assess some general things, depending on the child's age. (I totally missed looking for your child's age.)

Once actual therapy starts, it's all age and issue dependant. In our case, early on, it was parenting help for me--learning to "reparent" a child who had a rough start at things, learning life-skills for dealing with an high needs child, etc. Now that we've gotten settled, I've found my parenting "sea-legs" so to speak, we don't do counseling. We still see a MHP for prescribing medications and when there's an issue I don't know how to deal with.

Our phychologist is a great guy for me to bounce things off of, and he always has more resources than I do :) He's like a family friend who isn't involved enough to become emotional like a best friend or auntie would, so the advice is much less "loaded"! (My sister offers advice, I tell her she doesn't have a kid like La. Our MPH offers advice, and I am more willing to try it, because he's not critiquing my parenting skills like it seems my sister is, ya know?)

pinkmomagain
08-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I've had a variety of experiences depending on the professional and the age of the child. When dd2 was younger...I guess around 6 or so...I mostly met with the child psychologist (she met dd2 a couple of times briefly) and I would relay incidents and then she would tell me how to handle dd's anxiety. She did not counsel my dd at all.

We are working with a therapist now and she did an intake with me over the phone first, describing my concerns, and now we meet with the therapist together. I try to let dd (now 11yo) and the therapist interact together as much as possible, only interjecting when really feel like I need to add something. I'd be more than happy to sit out if they wanted, but neither the therapist or dd have requested that I leave the room.

We also see a child psychiatrist (for med management) and it is also me, dd, and the psychiatrist in the room. I think for the initial appt, I did spent time talking to him without dd.

HTH. Good luck!

egoldber
08-02-2010, 05:20 AM
My older DD sees a therapist for anxiety. The therapist is part of a large group. We had an initial intake appointment where a lead therapist sat with me and DH for about 40 minutes to discuss issues and concerns. Then she met with older DD for about 15 minutes alone. She was just trying to get a feel from DD about her ideas and concerns and I'm sure she did a brief screen to see if our view was accurate or if we were missing something. DD said they played a game. :)

After that we were matched with a therapist. The therapist and older DD meet weekly in the school year, and twice a month in the summer. They meet alone for 40 minutes and then I or DH meet with her for about 10 minutes to review and to bring up any concerns. We also e-mail or call her ahead of time to let her know if there is anything particular we need to discuss with her that week or if there were any particular issues she had.

Her therapist uses CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) and DD has "homework" every week to reinforce the tools and coping mechanisms that she worked on that week with the therapist. But sometimes they just process things. I think it's great that older DD has someone besides us that she can talk to about her worries.

Finding a good fit is crucial. My older DD just ADORES her therapist and looks forward to seeing her every week.

She started seeing the therapist when she was 8.5.

dukie41181
08-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Finding a good fit is crucial. My older DD just ADORES her therapist and looks forward to seeing her every week.

:yeahthat: Couldn't agree more about finding a good fit and fit being crucial! As a therapist myself, I know that is a major factor in the success of therapy and I try to discuss this with all of my clients. If you don't feel like the fit is good (personality, policies, interventions, etc.), the therapist shouldn't take it personally. Do whats best for your child and family. Personally, I tend to structure initial appointments differently depending on the particulars of each situation. There are surely times when I meet with parents together with their child and times when I meet seperately. I would definately ask the therapist what to expect when you call to schedule...and heck, if your daughter is visiting for anxiety, perhaps having an expectation beforehand for her would be helpful and ease any concerns she may have. Best of luck to you!