PDA

View Full Version : Multiple ear infections in 3yr old?

melrose7
08-02-2010, 08:28 AM
DD2 just turned 3 a month ago. She complained 2 weeks ago her ear hurt so I took her to urgent care and yes, a double ear infection. The ear she said was fine was actually more inflamed. So some antibiotics and 8 days later she says it still hurts. So we still had 2 days of medicine left but took her back and they said they looked fine. now yesterday she said both her ears hurt again. we are going on a week long vacation in 2 weeks and I feel like I should have her seen before we go even though they looked fine. why else could she be saying her ears hurt. She also had a double ear infections in may. Then also a double one in November that didn't go away with the first round of antibiotics. She only had 1 ear infection as a baby but now seems to be getting them when she older. why? and when she had all 3 of these ear infections she has had no colds, cough, or other symptoms.

wendibird22
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
Poor girl! Similar situation here with DD1. No ear infections until this past winter when she was 2.5 and then she had several and each required several rounds of abx. DD2 just had one last month and I really hesitated to do abx. I've read a lot that says EIs resolve relatively the same w/ or w/out abx since most are caused by a virus. The pain could be from fluid still in there even if there's no true infection. Does she have a fever? If not, I would probably be inclined to wait a few days and see what happens and take her in if fever develops. Most of the healing of an EI is just waiting for the fluid to drain and that pressure can be uncomfortable. DD2's doctor also recommended lots and lots of saline nose spray to keep the nose hydrated to help the ear fluid drain. DD2 didn't have any cold symptoms either but the saline seemed to help.

As for why now and not when she was younger? My guess is as good as yours. I think for us it's because we changed from a home daycare to group daycare so she's exposed to many more children.

melrose7
08-02-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the first hand experience. Not sure why all of a sudden the multiple ear infections since since she is home with me but DD1 goes to school (did the year before too) but there are therapists in our home all the time for DD1's in home autism therapy. But none of them come sick. Maybe she is just uncomfortable until the fluid drains. I did get an appointment for next week so if there is anything going on this week it should either go away or develop into something. I just want to make sure that we get in before we go on vacation. I am overly cautious about her ears since she is always asking "what" "huh" and with DD1's speech problem (hearing is fine) I don't want to miss anything with DD2's hearing.

Jen841
08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Last summer we had what it seemed like a neverending infection. CHOP in Philly ended up doing a culture and it was a nasty one - but the right meds cleared it up (bacteria + fungal infection.) I think looking back, the Dr wishes he has gone the culture route earlier.

This year, no infections which is REALLY good b/c we have major ear issues (2X surgery) and so happy to be swimming etc.