PDA

View Full Version : Any tall snoogle lovers?

oneontheway
08-02-2010, 01:59 PM
So my doc told me today I can't sleep on my back anymore even though I prop myself up with 4 pillows. I have a very hard time sleeping on my side even with a body pillow. Every time I turn I wake up. So I'm hoping a snoogle might help. I've been resisting because its $50 that I will probably only use for 2 months but if I sleep its worth it.
I've heard that its not long enough for tall people... is that true? Anyone 5'9 or over that has used one and would recommend it? Thanks!!

WatchingThemGrow
08-02-2010, 02:44 PM
my xtall (6') cousin borrowed mine. I think she liked it, but I could be wrong. Really, it was the best $50 I ever spent while pg. Sleep is precious. I sold mine on CL for $20 after using it for 3 pregnancies.

oneontheway
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
That's good to know. Thanks!

lowrioh
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm 5'10.5 and LOVED my Snoogle for my first pregnancy. It is plenty long enough for me. I haven't started using it yet this time around but I'm sure I will need it pretty soon.

TwinFoxes
08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
I'm not as tall as the previous examples (just 5'8") but I was a snoogle hater. A regular body pillow was much better. They're also easy to find for super cheap, so you might try one of those first.

BabyBearsMom
08-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm 5'9" and didn't like the snoogle. I liked the snoozer which I found on line. They had a down option (I am not a fan of poly fill) which was a little pricey but soooo worth it. Anything that helps you sleep in the third trimester is worth it. Plus, I used the pillow as a nursing support pillow after DD was born, so I feel like it has been worth the money. In fact, I'm addicted to it now and still sleep with it.

creativelightbulb
08-03-2010, 08:43 AM
I'm 5'9" and I like my Snoogle...

I bought it on CL for $25 bucks too...

KrystalS
08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
I didn't like the Snoogle. I'm 5'9 so not that tall so length really wasn't my problem. I prefer to use several pillows vs one big one. I have a body pillow for behind my back, regular size between my legs, king size for under my head and belly(I turn it sideways).

oneontheway
08-03-2010, 09:59 AM
I bought the snoogle last night at BRU and had a horrible night of sleep. I just can't get comfortable on my sides. I have to turn over every 30 minutes or so which makes for a very disruptive sleep! I don't see why I can't lay on my back if I am practically sitting up with pillows.
The snoogle was comfortable in certain positions but the problem was everytime I needed to change positions (which was often) I woke up. The same thing happened when I was using my body pillow.

bostonsmama
08-03-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm not due quite as soon as you, but I still hate sleeping on my side. I seem to wake up every morning on my back, b/c this is how I sleep the deepest. My OB tried to assuage my fears by telling me that I'm very "small" and that until the baby gets a little bigger, I shouldn't worry too much, but the guilt keeps me tossing at night more than forcing myself to side-sleep. Less than a hour into sleep, my whole side falls asleep (numb), and I have to change positions. It's SO frustrating. My body pillow makes me feel hot, too, and I hate having to reposition the body pillow to the other side when I flip to my right (which would be the same w/ the snoogle). I'm trying to hold off. Only a few more months of hellish sleeping--then comes the baby-induced kind. ;)

oneontheway
08-03-2010, 11:56 AM
I know what you mean bostonsmama. During my second pregnancy one of the doctors said it was fine to sleep on your back as long as I was elevated. She said I would feel light headed if something was being compressed. Yesterday a different OB said no back at all. Urgghhh.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-03-2010, 01:26 PM
i'm not that tall (5'6") but when iw as preggo i LOVED LOVED LOVED the Snoogle. yes, it was annoying when i wanted to switch sides, but then again,that was the whole point! :) before that i had a body pillow and it wasn't the same at all, wasn't nearly as comfortable or as helpful as the Snoogle. i guess i also was a side-sleeper normally anyway, so i was used to it. i mainly got the snoogle to prevent from rolling onto my back and to avoid having five thousand pillows everywhere. :)

it's funny actually, most of my friends loved the Snoogle while they were preggo, and the few that didn't like it were all very petite. i think one friend who is 5'1" said didn't like it bc she felt it was just too huge and she felt like she was being smothered by it. so it seems like it would be okay for a taller person.

the Snoogle i found was also very useful for breastfeeding in bed after i had the baby, or for propping myself up in bed to watch TV.

sste
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not due quite as soon as you, but I still hate sleeping on my side. I seem to wake up every morning on my back, b/c this is how I sleep the deepest. My OB tried to assuage my fears by telling me that I'm very "small" and that until the baby gets a little bigger, I shouldn't worry too much, but the guilt keeps me tossing at night more than forcing myself to side-sleep. Less than a hour into sleep, my whole side falls asleep (numb), and I have to change positions. It's SO frustrating. My body pillow makes me feel hot, too, and I hate having to reposition the body pillow to the other side when I flip to my right (which would be the same w/ the snoogle). I'm trying to hold off. Only a few more months of hellish sleeping--then comes the baby-induced kind. ;)

I have this same problem. I asked my OB about this b/c it seemed to me that if oxygen-deprivation really caused all these problems we would be seeing ALOT of babies with retardation and other problems from oxygen-deprivation. So, I asked what the actual research was on this. She told me that if I wasn't experiencing light-headedness, gasping, fainting, etc. there actually wasn't any evidence of baby harm. The baby compensates by staying still and utilizing less oxygen. But, that said, she also told me that OBs think its better to try to side sleep since there is a lack of research on the issue and the possibility of problems.

Anyway, my OB brainstormed the following trick for me: one substantial height pillow tucked directly under the hip on the opposing side (so I side sleep on the left and the pillow goes under my right hip). Then a body pillow (I have the 10 buck one from bed/bath/beyond on the other side. She said for me a reasonable goal might not be a "full side sleep" but rather to torque myself 20-50 degrees toward the side sleep position. This has actually worked pretty well and it got rid of the mild breathlessness I was experiencing.