PDA

View Full Version : How soon to have new CD stash ready for #1?

bostonsmama
08-02-2010, 02:41 PM
We're planning on doing GMD PFs w/ Thirsties covers for the first couple months of CDing for DD#1 due this Fall. I don't have a problem ordering the NB and size1 PFs early b/c I'm not worried about the warranty (is their even one for PFs?) expiring by buying them too early. I am, however, reluctant to buy the Thirsties covers too much before November b/c of the 1yr warranty--and w/ the aplica/velcro issues that sometimes occur, I want to be covered, not having the warranty ticky by for 3 months before they're even in use, esp if we get the Thirsties Duos (expandable).

So, how far in advance did you have your stash ready for #1 when buying new? I've heard the GMD PFs need to be washed/dried six times before first use, is that right? Are there any kind of Thirsties covers sales I should BOTLO for that would make me buy them earlier? Two dozen each NB and sz 1 PFs, plus 2-3 Thirsties Duo covers and 2-3 Bummis Super Whisper wraps in NB or Small should start us well?

TIA. :)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-02-2010, 03:05 PM
we got ours (also GMD prefolds with thirsties covers) about a month before DS was due. good thing bc he arrived 2 weeks early. :) we didn't use our cloth dipes until he was about 2 weeks old (since in the hospital, and then the first week or two at home, it was just easier, especially with the umbilical cord stump still there).

and yeah, you do have to prep the diapers before using (we washed/dried 5x). we did that before DS was born.

and from what i recall, i think we got 2 dozen NB prefolds (orange edge) and 2 dozen size Small (yellow edge). we got 3 snappies and a large wet bag for lining the can where we would dump dirty diapers. also 3 thirsties covers (size XS to go with nb pfs) and 3 Bummis super Whispers in size S (8-15 lbs) to go for when we went up to the yellow-edge diapers. that worked out well for us bc that way we didn't have to do diaper laundry every day..we did it every other day. also, even tho we wouldn't be using them right away, we washed/dried the yellow-edge (size S) prefolds as well with the NB size. it was good bc we used those for other things like wiping up spit-up, lining baby bathtub and for putting over diaper area during changes to prevent pee from getting sprayed on the wall (i guess not as big an issue if have a DD, but it was necessary with our DS! :) ) then, when DS went to yellow-edge prefolds, we switched it around and used the orange-edge ones for cleaning up spit up etc.

i've been cd'ing for almost 7 months and never had issues with either the thirsties covers or Bummi's covers (and i think i have a dozen covers, since we tend to get 3-5 cover in each sizes). u do have to be careful though, to close the velcro tabs before washing. once my husband forgot and it kinda messed up the lining a little bit since the velcro hooks scraped against it.

oh and about deals, i got my main cd stash at GMD, but then when afterwards i wanted to try out different kind of cover, i would get them from Amazon. they were about the same price but then i didn't have to pay for shipping. after i CD'd for a while i reallly liked the Bummis Supers Brites & Thirsties cover bc the cleanup on the inside was so much easier in the case of poop blowouts. :)