PDA

View Full Version : Poll: WWYD--Read Sookie or watch True blood? (never done either)

boogiemomz
08-02-2010, 03:09 PM
Seems all I hear about these days is how much everyone LOOVES True Blood. I started to read the first book once and didn't really get into it, and watched part of one episode (in the middle of season 1, I think), and it seemed pretty far out to me so I didn't finish watching it. The more I hear, though, the more I think I really missed something and didn't give it enough of a chance. I could use a little guilty pleasure in my life right now... :D But I've heard that some people really like the show but not the books, and vice versa. If I was going to embark on one or the other (from the library), which should it be? Show or books?

Jacksmommy2b
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm usually a pretty hard-core purist when it comes to books vs. screen counterparts, but I really enjoy both.

The books are a guilty pleasure, just a fun, quick read. The show is enjoyable in it's own right, I think they are so vastly different that for me it isn't apples to apples. That said, I thought the first season was a little cheasy, the second was rather strange, but the third is blowing my mind!

KHF
08-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I watch the shows...on DVD though, so I'm behind. I just wait for the seasons to come to Netflix. I have the first book and have started reading it about 10 times. Just can't get into it. It may be one of those things that eventually draws me in, but I'm not sure I have that kind of time or effort to put into it :)

I do :heartbeat: the show though. It is way out there, and *definitely* not something you can watch while children are around!

lizzywednesday
08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Both, but read the books first unless you're what I call a "purist" (someone whose video adaptations of much-loved books needs to be exact) ... the books are a good way to ease into Charlaine Harris's world, while the TV show is pretty much all Alan Ball. If you're not prepared for Alan Ball, the show's hard to watch. He's fairly out there! (And this is coming from someone who loved his series Six Feet Under.)

Oh, and Ms. Charlaine has a cameo in the season finale of S2. (No joke.)

FWIW, the series is really bizarro world while the books are a little closer to the real world with a lot of supernatural stuff tossed in.

malphy
08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
read the books, they are very good.

I watched trublood but i don't like it nearly as much as the books.

tamie
08-02-2010, 03:23 PM
After you have read the Sookie Series, be sure to check out the Harper Connelly series. Loved it!

wellyes
08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
I think the books are a hoot. I'd start there; you're better off meeting everyone and having the story unfold in the books. The main character of the books is a really likable woman,the story is from her POV which ties everything together really well. The same character is only in less than half of the scenes of the TV show and it's a little more scattershot.

The show is good juicy fun, and different enough that you won't know what to expect from one episode to the next even after you've read the book it's based on.

If you're not prepared for Alan Ball, the show's hard to watch.
I don't find it hard to watch but it IS a lot of gore and sex (sometimes comedic, sometimes grotesque, definitely not erotica). It's deliberately over-the-top and provocative.

codex57
08-02-2010, 03:40 PM
They're fairly different. However, Alan Ball is pretty open about the show not following the books. So, it really has to be judged on its own merit. Accordingly, this is one of the few instances where I think I like the show more than the book (had to say/compare cuz they are so different). Even that opening title sequence is incredibly well done.

Like the Twilight series, despite being thoroughly entertaining, the books are slightly flawed/unsophisticated. Unlike, for example, the Harry Potter books. However, unlike Twilight, the True Blood show is actually VERY good. As a disclaimer, I've only watched the first season but have seen a lot of clips/highlights and the season finale of Season 2 (Dish Network had some advert/promotion thingy).

khm
08-02-2010, 04:08 PM
I did the books, then the show. (I don't think I did the last book or two, I just lost steam on them and moved on to other things.)

I'd recommend getting at least one book under your belt, just to get to know the characters and the backstory. But, as PP mentioned, they really are two distinct experiences. I don't think this is one where you HAVE to read every bit of the books to enjoy the show. (I'm typically a purist in this regard.) They can both stand alone, they can be enjoyed without the other.

The show is.... rough, gritty, naughty but clever, whatever you wanna call it. It ain't for the faint of heart, but it is GOOD. I enjoy the way its done, but it clearly isn't for everyone.

codex57
08-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I just lost steam on them and moved on to other things.)

I can see how people can lose steam. I might have lost steam after book 2 or 3, but since I started at Book 5 or so, I read em all just so I could plug in all the story holes I had.

Anyways, I'd at least try and read the last book. That one is pretty wild and introduces enough different things to be worth reading IMO.

khm
08-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Good to know! I probably will pick it back up! Thanks!

lizzywednesday
08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
They're fairly different. However, Alan Ball is pretty open about the show not following the books. So, it really has to be judged on its own merit. Accordingly, this is one of the few instances where I think I like the show more than the book (had to say/compare cuz they are so different). Even that opening title sequence is incredibly well done.

However, unlike Twilight, the True Blood show is actually VERY good. ....

I totally agree that the show needs to be judged on its own merits separate from the books. Alan Ball is doing such interesting things with the characters, mythology and storyline that I'm hooked to see where he's going to go next!!!

The books are great brain candy and worth reading for the fluff that they are. I love Ms. Charlaine's sense of humor and I wonder about what's going on in her life right now that she's written two of the darkest books in the series. (I know her eldest is serving in the military, her middle is in college and her daughter started college last fall, so maybe something's up? She's written from dark places before, just look at the Lily Bard books, so this is not too far-fetched.)

The show is fairly good and VERY twisted, which is what I am enjoying about it (this didn't come through in my earlier posting), though one scene from last week's (haven't seen this week's ... I was exhausted & DD was up all night; I strongly suspect she's teething) was a little much for me for personal/Mommy reasons! This week's should be available on the OnDemand by now; I'll probably watch it after I get home from work tomorrow.

kransden
08-02-2010, 04:55 PM
I like both the book and the show. I also liked the fact I had read the books before I watched the show so I can compare. I really enjoy what Alan Ball has done even when it differed from the books. I find Jason, Sookie's brother, hysterical. He is such a small part of the books but is a major character on the show.

You could read the books while watching TB too.

gatorsmom
08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I too think you have to understand that the books will be different from the show and enjoy them as such.

I voted read the books first because it's nice to be introduced to a character on the show and immediately have an idea of who that person/creature is. My husband hasn't read the books and since so much happens during the show and it happens so fast he's constantly asking who was that and what just happened.

boogiemomz
08-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the input. I am finishing Catching Fire right now so I will probably move on to Sookie next, though I doubt I will get through ALL the books before I start the show... sounds like a good idea to just get familiar w/ the characters, etc. Glad to hear I can skip around w/ the books too!