PDA

View Full Version : Have basil plant: now what to cook?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I bought a basil plant because it was only 20 cents more than the package of basil at TJ's. Aside from pesto and putting it into tomato sauce, what can I make with it? Need ideas!

Thanks!

happymom
08-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I loooove the taste of basil on my roasted veggies, athough I always use dried basil.

WolfpackMom
08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Margherita pizza or flatbread - fresh cheese, basil, and tomato slices, nom!

cono0507
08-02-2010, 09:46 PM
We've been making a lot of caprese salads lately and we use it for pesto too. Yum!

wellyes
08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
Just get some farmer's market cherry tomatoes & eat a leaf with each one. Yum!

zoestargrove
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
in addition to everything already mentioned I chop it up and put it in my salads mixed in with the greens (and whatever other herbs I have in the garden - dill, cilantro, parsley, sorrel, mint

I also use it in place of lettuce in sandwiches.

mom2beofboy/girltwins
08-04-2010, 03:55 PM
I love to use it shredded up with tossed, halved grape tomatoes, some diced onion and really good olive oil. I put this on sliced bread that I have toasted and then rubbed fresh garlic on - delicious bruschetta!

I also will sautee fresh garlic and olive oil, then add some halved grape tomatoes. When the tomatoes start to soften I'll add some salt and the basil and then toss in an already cooked pasta - so good - I also top with some type of cheese!

Tondi G
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
caprese salad ... YUM! Just get a nice loaf of french baguette.

bruchetta

margarita pizza

pesto

pasta sauce

use a scissors and snip it into your salads...

chopped salad is yummy... chopped romaine lettuce and basil, shredded mozzarella, garbanzo beans, tomato, turkey, salami, scallions.

brittone2
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
basil cream sauce. Did some shrimp with this a few weeks ago. Yummo.