PDA

View Full Version : training pants?

MamaSnoo
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Alright...this question is not very smart. What exactly consitutes a training pant? Are some better than others? Can you not just start trying underwear when DC seems ready?

Right now DD pees in the potty sometimes (2-3 hits/day), but is mostly in diapers in the daytime. She uses pull ups at night because we get no overnight leaks that way. I like the diaper for daytime because she knows how to pull down her pants and take it off to sit on the potty. She cannot really remove a pull-up "all by the self" yet.

So, I do not think we are quite ready to be out of diapers yet, but it is coming soon, and I want to be prepared with the right supplies. She goes to daycare, so I was planning to just send lots of clothes and underwear....but then I thought "training pants? :shrug:"

wendibird22
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
We did cotton training underwear for DD1. They were the Gerber brand I got at Target. They have a thicker layer in the crotch area which I found useful for catching drips when she stood up before wiping and for minimizing floods when she had accidents (they are pretty absorbent). I never did any rubber/plastic/vinyl covers. Once we were certain DD was pretty well trained we switched her over to regular children's underwear. You could skip trainers if you didn't think it was necessary.

vonfirmath
08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
We used the Gerber training pants -- ended up needing about 6 packages of 3 underwear/pkg so we had enough at home plus to leave at daycare (2 changes of clothes at daycare, 3 underwear and diapers for if he went through all that!)

I also used 1 pkg of Gerber plastic training pants to put over the cotton ones when it was absolutely essential there were no leaks. The Gerber training pants are not good for anything but catching the first few drips while they run to the potty.

I use pull-ups overnight. Pull ups catch a lot more. but are also harder for my son to pull down -- he'd rather wear underwear than pullups so I do pullups only when I have to.

lorinick
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I too used the Gerber brand. I have never used pull ups at all. Used diapers for a few weeks. We are fully potty trainned even at night. Ya! I did let him pee in his clothes a few times. May have happened a few times after not many. Good luck.

azzeps
08-05-2010, 02:17 AM
We are using the Gerber ones right now. I think if the diapers are working fine for you, maybe there's no need, and you can go straight to regular undies. I think for us, we needed something different from the diapers - DD knows when she's peed, says it right away, and wants new "undies" right away. Whereas if she were still in diapers that would not be happening. They don't always contain ALL the pee, but we have found that the puddle is considerably smaller than it would be without the training pant.

MamaSnoo
08-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I may try the Gerber ones. We have some HA unders that I bought on clearance (not the trainers), but I do not think I want to invest in the trainers, which may get a shorter use.

DD does not care much about the wetness in the diaper, and that is holding her back, I think. She really notices if she pees naked, and likes the potty otherwise. I do not want to do naked training if I can avoid it, so I guess I'll start with the gerber trainers and see how that is.

peanut520
08-12-2010, 04:05 PM
i bought some of the gerbers but found them to be pretty thin even with the extra layers so i broke down and ordered the HA training unders. i ordered 2 of the 3 packs and hope they get here soon. i hope they fit her!

for those that used training pants, is it recommended to have a wet bag or just wash as you go? we used disposable diapers so am pretty clueless when it comes to the care of soiled items.

ray7694
08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Around the house I put my dd in a dress with nothing in the beginning. When we went out we did underwear. I think this helped her train very quickly. We do a nightime pull up for sleep.

I told her no more diapers she was a big girl and got rid of all the diapers.

Good Luck! Sounds like she is really close.