PDA

View Full Version : Toiletries during pregnancy

LAMom
08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Just found am pregnant with number 2. This time around a lot more concerned about various chemicals- phthalates, sulfates etc in shampoos, conditioners, soap and other everyday things we use.
Some advice I received said just don't use anything I can't pronounce- well that is not very specific.

So, what do you use for
shampoo
conditioner
toothpaste
moisturizer
sunblock
deodorant
soap etc.

I have both TJs and Whole Foods nearby, but they have so many choices I wanted to get some advice here first.
Thanks!

Roni
08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
There was a really good discusssion recently in the Lounge forum about all-natural products. Several people posted their entire lists of beauty and cleaning supplies.

I am trying out a few kinds of sunscreen: Carribean Solutions, California Baby, and Badger. My girls don't like the smell of the Badger, but they all seem to work well. You just have to deal with the white streaks issue, but it's worth it.

For everything else, I had been buying Melaleuca products. I just cancelled my membership because it costs too much each month, it's easier to find alternatives in stores than it used to be, and I can't find good information on how safe the Melaleuca products actually are. I haven't run out of those products, so I haven't found alternatives, yet.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2010, 08:06 PM
shampoo- Whole Foods' brand citrus
conditioner- same
toothpaste- Tom's of Maine
moisturizer- I don't use it
sunblock- CA Baby but I also use some other not as great ones because I got too overwhelmed! You think you find something good only to find out it has a bad ingredient. I am going crazy on this one. CA Baby for the boys but I use Banana Boat and Aveeno Baby on me.
deodorant- still working on this but I think the Arm and Hammer one is reasonably ok (and effective)
soap etc.- unscented body wash from Whole Foods (store brand); tempted to try castille soap when that runs out.

eta- Congratulations!! :)

Beth

bostonsmama
08-03-2010, 11:19 PM
I use a bunch of different products for personal care
Hair: Jason Organic, Alba Organics, Avalon Organics
Face: DHC olive oil, mineral makeup, Dead Sea Premier sea salt facial toner, Biore sunscreen/moisturizer
Deodorant: Crystal Natural Mineral Salts stick or Secret (w/ all the bad stuff) when I'm sweaty/stinky
Teeth: Tom's of Maine (although I tried Burt's Bees and didn't like it)
Skin: Organic Bath Company Spa Pro Collection (body wash and lotion in pomegranate), Pure & Natural body wash/hand soap, Alba Organics body wash, Method hand soap

I'm about limiting my exposure, not feeling radical about eliminating EVERYTHING. So many people do all or nothing...I have a happy balance. :)

lizzywednesday
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I switched a lot of my usual products when I was pregnant because the ones I had been using made me throw up.

Literally. Made. Me. Throw. Up.

So I used a lot of Lush soap (<3 their Sexy Peel soap; it's citrus), citrus scent shampoo (Garnier Fructis at first, then TJ's Refresh), switched to Tom's of Maine Peppermint toothpaste (all other mints made me barf, though, at one point, ALL mint made me sick, so DH got me cinnamon Hanna Montana toothpaste) but currently use TJ's natural, used Clinique "Dramatically Different" gel moisturizer until I got anxious about it and I'm trying Coppertone's "Sensitive" sunscreens, which actually work really well without as many chemicals (they still have some.)

For deodorant, I have to use unscented, so I've been using Dove Sensitive since it came out.