PDA

View Full Version : A little notice please?

lalasmama
08-03-2010, 11:00 PM
I volunteer for a community-action group... In our local area, we provide free medical care, dental, vision, pet care, and social services once a month at varying locations around our metro area. It's a great program, and I love taking part in bettering the community. (aaawww)

I only participate in a few a year, so that it doesn't get overwhelming or take away from family time. I was asked to be a co-lead at the next "really big" event. We're expecting some 300 people just for medical, so I was excited to have such a challenge. Meetings were to happen 1-2 times a month, and weekly the last 2-3 weeks before the event.

The Lead above me (that asked me to be a co-lead for my area) is dropping the ball. I'm getting calls about meetings that never materialize. I had to email her 3 times to find out about the most recent meeting. The meeting was today, at 7pm-??, across town (45 minute drive). I heard about it at 7pm today, after I got off work work, where I don't get my voicemails until I leave work. She knows that I can't check my personal email more than once a week as we don't have internet access at my house, and that she needs to email me at work if she wants me to attend something. ... I got the email about the meeting today, only because I borrowed a friend's phone to check my email.

I'm a relatively single mom. My child is 6. I can't take her straight from daycare to a meeting, no dinner in between, because there isn't time, and keep her out until 9, 10, 11pm at night depending on when we get home. Give me a break! I know I am the youngest one. I know I have the youngest child. But really, you want me to bring a hyperactive, hungry, tired kid to a meeting where I am supposed to pay attention... and seriously, on NO advance notice? I'm not Superwoman here!

So now I have to decide if I'm going to step down from the lead position because my supervisor won't freaking let me know about meetings and schedule them at realistic times for people with a life outside of volunteering.

Oh, and in the voicemail about the meeting, she says "gee, don't get discouraged that we don't seem to be connecting about the meetings, it will all come together!" No, lady, it won't "all come together" if your main lead for my area doesn't know what's going on!!!!