PDA

View Full Version : Push gifts

oneontheway
08-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Okay so I've known that you typically get a gift when you give birth to a child. I got one for my DS and DD but I never knew it had a name until I saw it on Bethany's Getting Married (yes, I watch this..lol).
So I was just wondering do most people get push gifts still and if so what?

SnuggleBuggles
08-04-2010, 09:42 AM
Most people don't get gifts, ime. I haven't gotten one and din't need one. There was a pretty big thread on that here a bit ago (and a much bigger one in the Lounge at some point):
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=362036

Beth

oneontheway
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks!

Puddy73
08-04-2010, 11:20 AM
No push presents for me unless you count a cheesy "New Mom" hat from the gift shop when I complained about not being able to wash my hair. I never even heard about push presents outside of this board.

luckytwenty
08-04-2010, 11:50 AM
I got some jewelry. It was nice. Some people feel very strongly that the "baby is enough." Of course no one goes through 9 months of pregnancy, plus whatever you went through to conceive and then post-partum, just to get some bling, but if your husband wants to give you something to commemorate the occasion and to express his genuine appreciation, it's all good as far as I'm concerned.

Melaine
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Nope, not something we did or would do....I wouldn't throw it back at DH's face, but it's not something I really want.

the2bobs
08-04-2010, 11:57 AM
When DH & I were shopping for my engagement ring yrs ago a saleslady said lots of men buy their wives a piece of jewelry as a "push present". I've got to say, I was so grossed out that I practically ran out of there. The sentiment is nice, but the phrasing is gross to me.

Now, after I had DS1 I must admit that I did get a nice little bracelet from Tiffany's. Completely unexpected, but after that horrendous labor he must have thought it necessary. Or it was b/c my bday was in 3 wks. Either way, nothing like a little blue box...

LoveBeingMrs
08-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I love my push present, because it was so thoughtful. It was a "Mother and Child" necklace: http://www.reeds.com/Mother-and-Child-reg-Large-Family-Diamond-Pendant-05ct-plu4-937-W41M.html

I used to wear it everyday until my LO started grabbing for it. :p

pantrygirl
08-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I never hinted at one but DH gave me a very generous day from head to toe at my favorite spa.

Later on I heard him tell his friend that after witnessing what a woman goes through to bring a child into this world, the gift seemed ridiculously small in comparison.

Hearing him say that was the best gift.

sewarsh
08-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I never hinted or expected to get a push present.
But DH surprised me with an antique oval diamond locket. I honestly love it more than anything in the world (including my engagement ring!). Its so beautiful and has pictures of both my kids in it. Now have to figure out how to get 3 of them in there!

Roni
08-04-2010, 03:20 PM
I got birthday presents when dd2 was born (on my birthday). Does that count?

YouAreTheFocus
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
When DH & I were shopping for my engagement ring yrs ago a saleslady said lots of men buy their wives a piece of jewelry as a "push present". I've got to say, I was so grossed out that I practically ran out of there. The sentiment is nice, but the phrasing is gross to me.

:yeahthat:

That phrase really grosses me out and offends me! I see it more as something special to commemorate the birth of the child (and the Mom's role in that!).

LarsMal
08-04-2010, 03:31 PM
I LOVE Bethenney Getting Married!! I think Bethenney Frankel is hilarious and Jason seems like such a great guy. The show has been so fun to watch- so much better than Housewives of NY (but not better than Housewives of NJ)!

I got push presents for my first 2. I got a ring with L's birthstone (peridot) that I love, but can't wear because it's white gold and makes me itch! I got a diamond pendant as a combo Christmas/push present after M was born. Neither of my gifts were as $$$ as those bracelets Bethenney got!!

I also have an initial bracelet that I had my cousin make me, which I love and wear a lot.

I didn't really want anything fancy after C was born, so I just went out and bought myself a couple new things. I got a new diaper bag and my Bebe au Lait cover. I had her initials added to my bracelet.

happymom
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

That phrase really grosses me out and offends me! I see it more as something special to commemorate the birth of the child (and the Mom's role in that!).

Another :yeahthat:. DH bought me a beautiful ring as a gift, but I never viewed it as a reward for pushing DD (??!!), but more as a commemoration of the special time in my/our life. I purposely chose something timeless and classy (as opposed to trendy), so i could wear it forever and always remember that very amazing and special time when DD was born. Of course, you don't *need* a gift to remember that.

lil_acorn
08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I am the proud owner of a solitaire diamond pendant (#1) and a double circle diamond pendant (for #2). they are both beautiful and I wear them all the time. Can't wait to see how he does with #3....LOL.

oneontheway
08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
I totally agree the term "push gift" isn't very sentimental. I love the idea of a bracelet or something like that where additional children can be added. I got earrings for DS and a necklace for DD although I'm not expecting anything for DC#3.

citymama
08-04-2010, 07:13 PM
You mean a gift in addition to your precious new baby? Nah. Get out.

Honestly it never even occurred to me. Certainly not to DH who still owes me a bday present from months ago! I don't think these are the norm but I may be wrong.

sunnyside
08-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I haven't gotten mine yet, but we are going to get a birthstone ring for my new baby Chloe. I will wear it and keep it safe for her and give it to her when she is 21 or so.

swissair81
08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
You mean a gift in addition to your precious new baby? Nah. Get out.

Honestly it never even occurred to me. Certainly not to DH who still owes me a bday present from months ago! I don't think these are the norm but I may be wrong.

My dh rarely remembers my birthday. The year he did & made dinner reservations, I got the flu.

ewpmsw
08-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Nope, not something we did or would do....I wouldn't throw it back at DH's face, but it's not something I really want.

swissair81
08-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I honestly would rather my dh let me buy stuff for the baby & not gripe about it. He usually buys me gorgeous flowers after a birth- but not as a reward for anything.

newg
08-04-2010, 10:35 PM
It's something I think DH would do if it were a common phrase and practice around here. He's a great gift giver....but it's not like I'm going to walk up to him and tell him to go buy me something. I'm just enjoying this close, special time we are sharing together.

AnnieW625
08-05-2010, 12:27 AM
No I didn't either time. I did get a new car when DD1 was four months old, but I had to give up my Accord coupe, which I still miss to this day!