PDA

View Full Version : the terrible twos are kicking my A$$!!!!

gordo
08-04-2010, 03:40 PM
I am at my wits end with my 2 yo. The second something doesn't go her way she tantrums, hits, cries, throws herself to the ground and then comes running crying to me because she is hurt. Her new thing is to go to her older sister and pull her hair out!!! Time outs do nothing. I don't give in, but I just don't know what to do. Today I put her in her crib for time out since she wouldn't stay in the corner. She happily laid in her crib playing. I decided to leave her there for a little to give myself a time out and she fell asleep at 11:40am without lunch. It is now 2:40 and I hear her starting to wake up and I am honestly dreading getting her!!!! Is today over yet????

Dream
08-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Sounds just like my DD. No advice here, sorry. I myself trying to figure out how to deal with her tantrums.

gatorsmom
08-04-2010, 06:11 PM
If it makes you feel better, it doesn't last forever. All of my kids have gone through that phase, I'd say, give it 3-6 months and she'll be your little darling again. (I know, long time). She's just trying to exercise some independence from mom and dad. On her hot-button topics (like what to wear, eat, etc.) give her a few choices and go with whatever she picks. So what if she wants snowboots with her shorts. Let her pick at her food- she won't starve. These are all tactics that worked with my kids, to some extent.

Hugs, remember it's just a phase. It'll go by faster than you can imagine!

JBaxter
08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
ummmm 2 is just PRACTICE for 3

edurnemk
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
ummmm 2 is just PRACTICE for 3

That's what I've been told... and I'm dreading that moment. DS is going through the terrible two's and there's days when I put him to bed early just because I can't wait for the day to be over, can't take another minute of it. He has bad weeks and he has OK weeks.

I don't know what to suggest in addition to what PP's have said, except maybe a glass of wine at the end of the day! :54:

Cam&Clay
08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
I hear you. DS2 is such an emotional catastrophe that I feel I cannot take him anywhere. He sucks the fun out of everything. DS1 was not a problem at all at 2, but had a few months of obnoxiousness at 3. So, all I can think is that this is just the beginning...

gordo
08-04-2010, 10:31 PM
My concern is that I remember what DD1 was like at 3! she was an angel at 2, so maybe DD2 will be an angel at 3? I can only hope! She spent the majority of her day in time out which of course really did nothing to stop the madness. And really it was the same things over and over - she wanted to attack her sister who was so nicely laying on the couch with a 104 fever!

twowhat?
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
No advice. But I will wallow in misery with you. One of my nearly-2-year-olds is like this. If something doesn't go her way, even slightly (i.e. she wants to be picked up, I tell her I will pick her up as soon as I put something away, she launches into a full-fledged tantrum right away, and she will SCREAM for an HOUR OR MORE even though we are trying to ignore her. ARGH.)

It makes getting out of the house to get to work a BEAR. And yes, some mornings I've had to put ALL my weight on her to get her into her car seat (because she wanted to sit on the OTHER side, but I've already strapped her sister in on that side, for example). The little monster is STRONG. It just ain't cool to be drenched in sweat wearing your work clothes, before you're even in the car to drive to daycare. And then drive to work.

ewpmsw
08-05-2010, 07:50 PM
No advice, just sympathy and hugs. Right there with ya. Hope it gets better!

srhs
08-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Wait, where was I? Had to take a break from this thread to put the 2yo in timeout--for trying to hit the dog with a broom.

:grouphug:

vinolady
08-07-2010, 05:05 PM
me too... it's tough. hang in there

BabyMine
08-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I thought M was going to be an only child when he hit the terrible 2,3,and 4s. About 4.5 is when it quieted down. TT has so far been pretty good although since I have been through it before I tend to flinch everytime I think TT is going to meltdown. It's almost like PTSD.