PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapering "dilemma"

twinbabies
08-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Hello all-

I was wondering if I could get some advice from the cloth diapering pros out there.
My twins are now almost 6 months old. Since they were a few weeks old I have been using a diaper service and have been quite pleased. I've only been responsible for supplying and laundering the diaper covers, and have found that totally manageable.
Now that we are about to start introducing solid food and also getting an au pair (who will be responsible for their laundry) I am considering using this opportunity to start doing my own diapers as opposed to using a service.
I cannot decide which route to take in terms of continuing with the prefolds + wraps or getting "more complicated" and using pocket diapers, fitted diapers, etc or else just continuing with the service.
I am trying to consider all of the usual factors such as ease of laundering, cost, and ease of use.
I know that things will get maybe more smelly and/or difficult once they are no longer exclusively breast fed, but so far I find the prefolds easy to use, I know they are the cheapest option, and I imagine they are also the easiest to launder. However, what happens when they start having "solid poop", peeing greater volumes, etc. The thought of having to start playing around with all of the liners, doublers, etc. etc. makes my head spin.
Any and all advice appreciated. Would you stay with diaper service, go with my own prefolds + wraps, get more sophisticated with diapers such as the bum genius or do a combination of the above?

KrisM
08-04-2010, 07:47 PM
We did mainly prefolds. I had a couple pockets for night and fitteds for quick changes while out of the house. I liked the Imse Vimse flusable liners. If they get peed on, you can wash them and reuse them 1 or 2 times. Poop - just pull the whole thing into the toilet and flush. Easy.

As they get older, the prefolds do get bigger, but you might end up changing more often still.

edurnemk
08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
I never did prefolds, so I can't compare, but we did AIO's and pockets from 4 months and up, and I never found it complicated. I fact I loved how easy it was to change DS especially when he started getting more rebellious for diaper changes, and for outings. It's just one piece and you can put it on very quickly if he's squiggling a lot, or as a toddler, trying to run away!

larig
08-04-2010, 07:53 PM
100% prefolds here. went from diaper service prefolds to home washed prefolds. I never saw the need to get more complicated considering prefolds and covers worked so well and they seemed much cheaper to me.

edurnemk
08-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that we did one size pocket diapers, since that's like the second cheapest option after prefolds. I only spent maybe $400 at first and that lasted until now that DS is 2.5 yo and potty trained.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-04-2010, 07:59 PM
100% prefolds here. went from diaper service prefolds to home washed prefolds. I never saw the need to get more complicated considering prefolds and covers worked so well and they seemed much cheaper to me.

:yeahthat:

love prefolds, cheapest option and once u get the hang of it it's really easy. i like how absorbent they are..never had a leak with them.

also, ds has been eating solids for 2 months now, and we still use the prefolds, we just use the Imse Vimse flushable liners. when he poos, we flush liner in the toilet..when he pees, we can reuse the liner a few times until he poos.

MamaMolly
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I use the GMD workhorse fitteds and when I run out I use prefolds. I've only had poop blowouts in prefolds and disposables, but then again DD2 is still only BF. I find the GMD fitteds and a cover to be super easy. I wish I felt more prefold love but it seems like she feels it on her tush and poos her brains out. Little stinker!

vonfirmath
08-04-2010, 11:38 PM
We did more complicated and after some months started having buildup problems we could not get on top of.

If I do cloth diapers again, I will be doing prefolds.

MommyAllison
08-05-2010, 02:09 AM
With DD, I had a little of everything - fitteds, pockets, prefolds, PUL, lots of wool... With DS, I used prefolds almost exclusively for daytime, pockets at night and in the diaper bag. Easy peasy!