View Full Version : Scheduling problems

08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Okay, when I went for my 35 week appointment on Tuesday, we decided that we should schedule my c-section for August 31 (just in case) and also schedule one last ultrasound to be sure that my placenta is still low-lying. DH, the doctor, and I all agreed that we should have the ultrasound done at the clinic in another city, where they specialize in higher risk pregnancies and where I had my 20 week ultrasound.

So, I got a call today (thinking that it was to tell me when my appointments were). The person who schedules the surgery told me they didn't have any openings on the 31, and it seems like most of that week is booked, as well. The person who was scheduling the ultrasound was wondering if I wanted it anywhere in the city. I should have told her, "Sure, just have them do it at the supermarket checkout." Duh, I would have just had it done in their clinic if I thought they were competent. I wanted it at the "good place." It was just so weird that 2 days after I expected them to have already scheduled the appointment, they are calling to ask me where I want it. As for the c-section, they were going to wait until next week to even try to schedule it. At my sister's suggestion, I pushed for them to schedule it a week ago, but the Dr. I was supposed to see was on call and never made it to the appointment. So, I saw the same nurse mid-wife that I had seen at the previous appointment (at which I was also supposed to see a Dr.), and she said that I should schedule it at the next appointment (this week), when I saw the Dr. I guess I should have been pushier. I'm gettting a little frustrated and nervous. What happens if I have to have an emergency c-section? Will there be a Dr. there to perform it? Is this type of situation normal? I think part of the issue is that it's summer, so they may be a bit short-staffed. Dd #2 was also born in the summer, & that was an issue. DD#1 was born in a different state. The practice was smaller, and everything just seemed a lot smoother. I went with the same practice this time as I did w/ dd#2, but it was 7 years ago, and there has been a lot of turnover. I've been happy with the individual Drs., but the coordination of care is leaving a lot to be desired.

(Sorry if this should be in the BP.)

08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
I think you should call and ask to have a Dr call you so you can express your concerns. I can't give more specific advice, because I don't know anything about your area or the medical care there. It seems though that you should be seeing a Dr at this point. You should also ask what the protocol is if you go into labor before your scheduled section.

08-06-2010, 08:07 AM
I'm going to make sure they schedule me for non-on-call Drs. from here on out. I did get to see a Dr. this week. They actually went out of their way to schedule me w/ a Dr.--I wasn't supposed to have an appointment this week. So, there isn't complete incompetence. I think it's more the office staff screwing up--not the Drs. On Tuesday we kind of talked about what happens if I go into labor ahead of time, but I think she was reluctant to make a definite decision without the next ultrasound. It sounds like different Drs. have different comfort levels when it comes to the whole low-lying placenta thing. I'm kind of thinking that 1.3 cm isn't really in anyone's comfort zone, but I haven't had any bleeding, which is good.

The office is right across the street from the hospital, so I think the Drs. bounce back and forth a lot, so hopefully someone will be available if I go into labor. I'll have to find out about the operating rooms, though. They must have some that they leave open in case of emergency surgery.

I was supposed to go to my parents' this weekend for my cousin's baby shower and to bring dd1 to a sports camp. I have the okay to travel at this point, but I'm getting nervous about being so far from the hospital. I could go to the hospital where dd1 was born, but that probably wouldn't go over well w/ the insurance company. :)

08-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Yesterday was a busy day. I went for another ultrasound, and the placenta is now 2.6 cm away and is posterior, so the Drs. aren't worried. I knew there was a reason we were having trouble scheduling a c-section! The Dr. @ the ultrasound panicked dh, though, when he said that he hoped we paid attention in birthing class. We didn't bother taking one this time. So, we were lucky enough to squeeze in a 1-hour class yesterday before our hospital tour.

08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
So you get to have a vaginal birth? (Or at least try?) That's great!

08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Yup! I hate to say, "Now I don't have to have a c-section," because of course you never know. And, I'm supposedly already 80% effaced and 1-2 cm dilated. At 36 weeks, baby needs to cook a little longer, but I will be very surprised if it comes late like its sisters did.

How are you doing today?

08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Still hanging in here. Dilated & effaced about the same as you. Although, it's kind of funny. I've been having urinary retention for weeks & last night I was up every hour for facility usage. Not sure if the baby dropped, or it moved. For sure something is different.

08-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Ugh! Hang in there, and get some sleep. :)

08-11-2010, 03:11 PM
BTW, 80% is a lot of effacement for a subsequent baby. If you want baby to cook a little longer, take it easy.