PDA

View Full Version : Help! Would you wear this to a 20yr highschool class reunion?

gatorsmom
08-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Or is this better off left to the twenty-somethings? I ordered this dress to just try it on not seriously expecting it to work for me, but it does amazing things for my body. It's short so doesn't overwhelm my body (because I'm short) and it hides my flabby, cottage cheesey saddlebags WONDERFULLY. All the while accentuating my best part- from the belly-button up. And it's comfortable too. Oh, and DH said that the price doesn't matter as long as we get it on afterwards. :hysterical: (not sure about that).

HOWEVER, I need an honest opinion. Am I too old for this dress? I really have no one to ask, but I just feel too old and too serious for this dress, like it should be left to younger club hoppers. Also, I"m worried that some of my classmates will be in classy blouses and suits and I'll look like someone who is trying too hard to look hot.

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-KNIT&id=18397794&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=35&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=018&colorName=BLACK & WHITE&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

Would you wear this to your 20 year class reunion? Honestly?

What about this one? It's navy and green. Is this a little better? It fits well too:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-PRINTED&id=18394841&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=35&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=041&colorName=NAVY&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

Or should I be aiming for something else? I did get a very cute skirt from AT Loft that I could pair with a nice blouse. (this one:http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=27271&N=1200010&pCategoryId=3359&categoryId=210&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_210&loc=TN&defaultColor=Rosewood&defaultSizeType=Regular) Ugh. i wish my mom was here. She always gave great advice about what is attractive and appropriate. Help!

fivi2
08-06-2010, 08:38 PM
hmm...

I don't love the green one, and I think it looks younger than the others. The first dress is very cute, but I can't tell if it is too young or not... It could go either way, but if it looks and feels good then go for it!

I also like the skirt a lot and it could be great depending on the top. I would probably wear the skirt just because I like to be "safe", but that is just me! Wear what makes you feel the best :)

We have dh's 20 year reunion soon - I need to go watch Romy and Michelle ;)

ciw
08-06-2010, 09:12 PM
I think the green dress, particularly with a navy shrug, is a safer bet for a reunion than the first dress. I do like the first dress and if it looks good on you then I don't think you're too old for it -- but it may not be the best choice for a reunion, especially if you don't feel confident in it. Like the PP, I'd probably wear the skirt out of those options but that's largely because I'm more comfortable in tailored or more stream-lined outfits when I'm not sure what everyone else is wearing. For a hot night out (do those happen after kids? ;)), I'd wear the first dress. For a tea or luncheon, I'd wear the green dress....and I might consider wearing it to a reunion. I'd probably look around for another dress but if nothing popped up, I know I'd be comfortable in the skirt. (And I actually have a very similar skirt in black -- different brand and slightly longer but otherwise identical. It's a great skirt for office Christmas parties, cocktail parties, etc. and I think it could work well for a reunion).

LMPC
08-06-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure what I was expecting but I loved all three! The green one not so much for the reunion...I agree it looks a little young...or maybe just that the colors seem a little more casual. Hope that makes sense. I really like the first dress and think that if you wore it next to someone in business casual, it would fit in. Especially if you were rockin' some killer shoes and a hip lil' clutch! You honestly can't go wrong with the skirt...it's fantastic!

LOL about DH's comment!

Have a great time!!!

chays
08-06-2010, 09:19 PM
We just went to DS' HS reunion. People were wearing EVERYTHING - but plenty of young, hip styles. I guess it depends on YOUR style. I say if it looks great, wear it!

bubbaray
08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I can't get the first link to work. I don't like, for ME, either of the 2nd two links.

If I absolutely had to wear something patterned, what about something like this: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-PRINTED&id=18937813&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=150&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=049&colorName=BLUE MOTIF&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

the Oak Apple dress. Or possibly this one: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-KNIT&id=19018704&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=150&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=008&colorName=GREY MOTIF&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

The Flamente dress

I almost never wear patterns, though, so probably would only buy either of those in solids. I like the style, though.

gatorsmom
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I can't get the first link to work. I don't like, for ME, either of the 2nd two links.

If I absolutely had to wear something patterned, what about something like this: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-PRINTED&id=18937813&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=150&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=049&colorName=BLUE MOTIF&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

the Oak Apple dress. Or possibly this one: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=CLOTHES-DRESSES-KNIT&id=19018704&catId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&pushId=CLOTHES-DRESSES&popId=CLOTHES&sortProperties=&navCount=150&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=008&colorName=GREY MOTIF&isSubcategory=true&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=

The Flamente dress

I almost never wear patterns, though, so probably would only buy either of those in solids. I like the style, though.

If you go to www.anthropologie.com (http://www.anthropologie.com), the first dress, the one I'm drooling over is called Live oaks dress by Leifsdottir.

The dresses you suggested are really pretty but I'm short with a very pear-shaped body and I think you've said before you are tall and thin, right (oh how I wish, sigh)? And since having the twins, my stomach needs to be hidden too. So busy patterns don't work for me when they are all over because they overwhelm me. And I have short little legs so dresses and skirts have to be at or just above my knee (the ATLoft skirt comes just above my knee- yes I'm that short). And nothing with thin knit- it shows off the bulges too much.

if you look at the Live oaks dress, let me know what you think. it comes to just above my knee.

SnuggleBuggles
08-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Anthropologie, imo, is geared at people in that age demographic. I think all of the choices are fine, especially the first dress that you like. I think that both dresses are equally appropriate for the event.

Beth

HIU8
08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Wow, the event should be nice. My 20 yr reunion was at a bar (seriously). I LOVE the first dress. I'm petite and that is a great dress. I also LOVE the skirt. That is classy! I think for the event I might go with the skirt or the first dress with a shrug.

DrSally
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
I agree with pp, that the first one could go either way--look just right or "young". I think it depends on your body type, but you're petite, so it won't look super short. The second I could actually see working on you b/c of your coloring--you're blonde, right? It might have a "preppy" look. If I had to choose for *myself*, I'd go with #3, but I like things more subdued.

Listen to what I did. I emailed Nordstrom and set up a personal shopper appt. for today. I told the woman what I was looking for, my age, what works best for me (A-line, vneck, or crewneck, no strapless/halter, colors, price range, etc.). I also emailed her the item numbers of several dresses I liked online. I told her I'd have children with, so this would save me a lot of time. I went in today and she had a bunch of dresses pulled for me and a huge dressing room reserved (even kicked someone out who slipped in). She checked periodically, got different sizes, made suggestions for accessories, etc. It was great. Unfortunately, the dress that looked amazing on me was $400! I was prepared to spend up to $200, but $400 is just too much. Also, it's a bit "dressy", so not sure how it will fit into the reunion. As pp said, I have a feeling people will show up in a variety of things, other than long evening gowns. It was also a dress I might not have picked, but really looked good on.

ETA: I'm saying that I could see how the first one would look flattering on you b/c of your height. It totally depends on what a dress looks like on, so if it looks good on you, then I would go for it! It's really not that expensive for a nice occassion dress...

bubbaray
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
If it is flattering, I say go for it. Its NMS, but it is a very pretty dress. :thumbsup:

AnnieW625
08-07-2010, 02:48 AM
I like the first two dresses best. I am 5 yrs. younger than you are, but I would wear either one of those dresses in a heartbeat; very much my style. Sexy but subtle, and very classic. In two years if we go to DH's 20th reunion there will most likely be a lot of strapless dresses, halters, and classic black dresses. I do like the skirt from AT Loft too, but I don't know what top I would pair with it. I think it would do better as an a line sleeveless dress, and be quite stunning:)

Have fun at your reunion and post a pic of you in the dress you chose.

okinawama
08-07-2010, 08:34 AM
I think the first dress is nice but has a very unforgiving neckline. All attention will immediately go there (which could be a good thing), but, due to where the top hits, if you have even the slightest fat on your upper body it's going to give you a "muffin top" on top, which will only be accentuated by the unique straps.

If you don't have that problem than I think the dress would be a great look. Have a blast! Getting dressed up with the hubby is always something I look forward to.

niccig
08-09-2010, 03:22 AM
I like the first dress, but not a fan of the crossing straps halter style. When I buy an evening dress, I want to be able to have it for a few years, and I think I wouldn't wear this if was a few years older.

I have a very similar body type to you and I could wear something like this http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=033013&parentid=BAYNOTE

I would put on my Spanx to smooth out any bumps and I pair of heels and be good for most any occasion.

I picked up 2 jersey dresses at AT loft earlier this year that are perfect for us - it's empire line dresses that hide the bottom half and accentuate the good. I put on the black dress the other night with a pair of wedge sandals and sort of held my own at a Hollywood nightclub with late 20/early 30 very stylish people. I say sort-of as they all had mini's on, and I couldn't pull that off in my late 20's even...but the dress was very forgiving - it was sort of like this one, similar styling on top but not a wrap dress
http://www.anntaylorloft.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=27181&N=1200007&pCategoryId=3359&categoryId=211&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_211&Nty=1&No=0&loc=TN&defaultColor=Lima%20Green&defaultSizeType=Regular

essnce629
08-09-2010, 06:25 AM
If you look and feel sexy in the first dress then go with that! I like the first dress. I went to my 10 year reunion a year ago and wore a sexy dress and so did a lot of others. If you're comfortable in it then that's what matters. I hope I can still wear a sexy dress to my 20 year reunion too! I think the 2nd dress is too summery/garden party style. You should look HOT!

hlphillips2
08-09-2010, 07:54 AM
I think the first one looks great. At my 20th agree with the PP - there were people in jeans and nice shirts, some in suits, some in formal cocktail dresses. I think the dress is adorable and not too young looking. I think the green one looks a little younger. I personally would skip the skirt since it's a bit less formal, but that's me!

kdeunc
08-09-2010, 03:53 PM
I love both of the dresses. I say go for the black one if that is what you like. It doesn't seem too young to me. Either would have been fine at my 20th reunion. At my reunion I was 7 weeks postpartum so not exactly rockin' the sexy! :) Let us know what you choose.

mamicka
08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I think all of your options are good. You are NOT too old for either dress.

maylips
08-11-2010, 10:10 AM
I love the first dress. If the event is more dressy (and not, like the PP said, at a bar :) ) then I would totally go for it if you feel great in it and it sounds like you do!

To me, the only thing that would make you seem like you were trying to hard is if you paired it with spiky 4+ inch heels.

gatorsmom
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I love the first dress. If the event is more dressy (and not, like the PP said, at a bar :) ) then I would totally go for it if you feel great in it and it sounds like you do!

To me, the only thing that would make you seem like you were trying to hard is if you paired it with spiky 4+ inch heels.

I fully plan to post pictures when I have some. But thank you, everyone,, for the support because I am so excited now to wear the black dress. And I just bought some 3inch strappy heel sandals to wear with them and a black shrug if it cools down or the a/c is too high! The dinner is at a really nice restaurant in a small town so I think I'll be dressed appropriately, even if no one else shows up in a little black dress.

I really liked the navy/green dress but I couldn't find anything to match it. No shoes, no shrug in navy or even white!! And I tried a bunch of different stores. So, that sealed my decision to wear the black one even more. Accessorizing the black one was much easier.

So, when I have pictures, I"ll definitely (try to) post them!!!

niccig
08-11-2010, 02:18 PM
I fully plan to post pictures when I have some. But thank you, everyone,, for the support because I am so excited now to wear the black dress. And I just bought some 3inch strappy heel sandals to wear with them and a black shrug if it cools down or the a/c is too high! The dinner is at a really nice restaurant in a small town so I think I'll be dressed appropriately, even if no one else shows up in a little black dress.

Everyone will be "what, you have 4 kids, inlcuding 2.5 year old twins??" with this look on their face :47: as you'll look fabulous.

Enjoy the reunion.