PDA

View Full Version : Toenail fungus, I think

HIU8
08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
A few months ago DS stepped on my toe. I was wearing flip flops, he was wearing sneakers. It bled A LOT. It's my big toe. The nail actually moved. A portion of the nail came off (well, most of it). It scabbed underneath (or so I thought). Now, there is a thick layer under what is left of the toenail. My mother says it's a fungus and I need to see a podiatrist. She said her Podiatrist gives her a topical cream to clear it up. I thought toenail fungus was a virus and needed antibiotics. What will happen if I leave it be? When I see a podiatrist is there something specific I need to say/ask for?

♥ms.pacman♥
08-07-2010, 10:31 PM
A few months ago DS stepped on my toe. I was wearing flip flops, he was wearing sneakers. It bled A LOT. It's my big toe. The nail actually moved. A portion of the nail came off (well, most of it). It scabbed underneath (or so I thought). Now, there is a thick layer under what is left of the toenail. My mother says it's a fungus and I need to see a podiatrist. She said her Podiatrist gives her a topical cream to clear it up. I thought toenail fungus was a virus and needed antibiotics. What will happen if I leave it be? When I see a podiatrist is there something specific I need to say/ask for?

antibiotics aren't for killing viruses, they're only for killing bacteria.

dh & i had to deal with this several years back when we were really into marathon running (and the 10+ mile runs would often make our toenails bleed). took Lamisil and it cleared up. i wouldn't take lamisil again though. i think it can eff up your liver and definitely isnt' safe for pregnancy/nursing.

if u see a podiatrist (or dermatologist, they deal with this too) they will probs just take a sample of it to make sure it is the fungus, then they will just give u lots of options (oral med like Lamisil, or topical creams/polish like Penlac). i think nowadays there's even a laser treatment for it, but insurances don't cover it and it's like $800 or something.

HIU8
08-07-2010, 10:33 PM
How long does it take a toenail fungus to clear up using the topical stuff and or the oral med?

♥ms.pacman♥
08-07-2010, 10:39 PM
How long does it take a toenail fungus to clear up using the topical stuff and or the oral med?

it depends on how severe it is, but either way, it takes months. it takes so long bc the nail has to grow out. i think when we did the Lamisil thing we had to take the medication for 3 months, but it took longer for it all to grow out. i think Lamisil stays in your system for months afterwards too

jerigirl
08-07-2010, 10:54 PM
You can try swabbing tea tree oil on it a couple of times a day.

Yes, oral Lamasil can be hard on your liver and kidneys.

hellbennt
08-08-2010, 03:57 PM
ok, to go along w/ this topic:

when my polish came off the other day (got a pedicure), the
toe nails of my big toes were alarmingly yellow!
horrified, I asked the pedicurist, "ack! is this something I need to go to a doctor about?" and he (yes, he, lol) said that it's from me leaving polish, especially dark colors, on for too long (which is true! I leave the polish on until it grows out and then either I take it off and & polish my toes or I go get a pedicure).

I live in FL and wear polish year-round (I did remember to take a 'break' this winter)...

so when do I ruin a perfectly good pedicure and head to the podiatrist?
or do I?

HIU8
08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
That has happened to me a lot. I do one of two things:
1)repolish my toenails so you don't see it
2) leave it alone and it goes away on it's own (nails grow out).

Melbel
08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
ok, to go along w/ this topic:

when my polish came off the other day (got a pedicure), the
toe nails of my big toes were alarmingly yellow!
horrified, I asked the pedicurist, "ack! is this something I need to go to a doctor about?" and he (yes, he, lol) said that it's from me leaving polish, especially dark colors, on for too long (which is true! I leave the polish on until it grows out and then either I take it off and give myself & polish my toes or I go get a pedicure).

I live in FL and wear polish year-round (I did remember to take a 'break' this winter)...

so when do I ruin a perfectly good pedicure and head to the podiatrist?
or do I?

Another Florida girl here. I found that by getting a light color or french pedicures in the summer, I avoid the yellow discoloration. If you have pain or if the yellow does not go away with these changes, I would have it checked out by a podiatrist or dermatologist (perhaps as part of a skin cancer screening).

To the OP - antiobiotics would actually make a fungal infection worse because it eliminates the good bacteria that keep fungus/yeast in check.

jerigirl
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
You can try swabbing lemon juice on the yellow nails due to leaving polish on too long. Make sure you are using a base coat too.

hellbennt
08-08-2010, 04:48 PM
thanks!
I've been so into purples lately, LOL!

no pain, phew!

I'll try lemon juice!

(& I'm pretty sure they use a basecoat? have to keep an eye on that next time)

ray7694
08-08-2010, 05:36 PM
My regular doctor identified the fungus in both my big toenails. He told me I could leave it alone as it is dead skin and won't hurt anything. I did take Lamisil. It was really expensive even with insurance coverage and I had to have my blood drawn each month to make sure it wasn't affecting my liver.

What a nightmare. I still have it and just live with it. I get pedicures all summer and then in the winter let it clear up. When part of my toenail broke from being stepped on I had it filled like an artifical nail.

MissyAg94
08-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Google Vicks Vapor Rub and nail fungus. Some people swear by it as a treatment.

MamaKath
08-08-2010, 08:54 PM
What will happen if I leave it be?
It won't go away. MIL had this and soaked nightly in either bleach or rubbing alcohol, not sure which, but you might want to google that.

wendmatt
08-08-2010, 08:58 PM
toe nail fungus is a bitch to get rid of! I have it on my little toe and used anti fungal stuff every day for months, it looked good, now it's back again, split down the middle and yellowish (gross). I have heard that soaking in vinegar every day can help, so that might be my next thing to try. I don't want to take lamisil, I asked the dr about it and he didn't recommend it, too much potential to damage the liver. It won't go away on it's own but it won't harm you I don't think.

essnce629
08-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Soak your foot in diluted bleach water-- it kills everything, especially fungus and ringworm. Fill up a big pot with warm water and put in a little bit of bleach (enough so that it smells like a swimming pool) and soak your foot for about 5 minutes. Do this daily for a few days.

I've used bleach water to clear up ringworm on myself and my friend. I also used it when my toes were really itchy for no reason. My mom used it to clear up some weird rash on her neck and her coworker used it to clear up a fungus under her ring. It totally works!