PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Trading Cars

ChefGirl
08-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Well, my folks are leaving the country for a few months before coming back to our house to help us with our 3 kids. Now, they have one year newer model RX330 than mine with about 50,000 miles less than my car. I am thinking about taking theirs and sell mine. The trick is I have to go get it from their house which is about 845 miles/15 hours away. If I dont' do it next week, the car will be sitting there till November, that is when we will have a chance to do it! Anyone has any suggestions? Should we just do it and get it over with?

ETA: Thanks for everyone who chimed in....you guys are awesome! I'm booking our flight right nwo....decided to just get it over with!!! thanks again! Now just have to figure out the airport transportation ...thanks again!

KpbS
08-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Could you pay someone like a college student to drive it to you and fly them back on a cheap ticket?

ChefGirl
08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
Nope, not an option....thanks for the suggestion.

KrisM
08-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Will you buy them a new car in November?

How about you fly out and drive back so you don't have to take 3 kids with you?

ChefGirl
08-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Well, we are thinking of using our Amex reward points for 2 one-way tickets leaving on Friday night and get an early start on Saturday morning and hoping to make it in one shot. My folks are actually with us so they can watch the kids. Just thought of 15 hours straight makes us shiver..... :-)

bubbaray
08-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Just thought of 15 hours straight makes us shiver..... :-)

Two drivers? Piece of cake. Seriously. Just do it and get it over with. Map out some fun stops. Ideally you break it into 2 days, but 15 hrs in one day with 2 drivers and no kids -- not a problem.

KrisM
08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
Two drivers? Piece of cake. Seriously. Just do it and get it over with. Map out some fun stops. Ideally you break it into 2 days, but 15 hrs in one day with 2 drivers and no kids -- not a problem.

:yeahthat:

We just did NH to MI and it's about 15 hours and we had 3 kids. Start super early or go overnight, if you're worried a bit. But, it won't be too bad, I think.

ETA: I'd rather do it alone than with another adult, personally. No kids, of course. But, I find it much easier to be in the car for 15 hours if I am driving than if I am just sitting as a passenger. So, I'd go alone and drive myself back. I'd be on the road by 6am and home in the early night. Bring some music and some snacks and you'll be good.

KpbS
08-08-2010, 09:46 AM
ETA: I'd rather do it alone than with another adult, personally. No kids, of course. But, I find it much easier to be in the car for 15 hours if I am driving than if I am just sitting as a passenger. So, I'd go alone and drive myself back. I'd be on the road by 6am and home in the early night. Bring some music and some snacks and you'll be good.

Yeah, I didn't realize that 2 drivers + no kids was an option! I agree, this is the easiest by far.

larig
08-08-2010, 11:19 AM

:yeahthat:

we did 24 hours w/ 1 kid and 1 dog straight at xmas (no choice). YOu can totally do it. Get some good podcasts to listen to (I like this american life).

Laurel
08-08-2010, 11:29 AM
I would kill to spend 15 hours alone in a car with DH right now. Really, it sounds amazing to me. We have the best talks on long drives!