PDA

View Full Version : what containers do you use for packing lunches?

m448
08-08-2010, 01:41 PM
I need some ideas. I'm packing for the kids, me and dh his. I have water bottles already and small thermos food jars. I'm looking for sandwich containment as well as fruit, yogurt/sauce/hummus containers (so leak free).

Please share your best ideas. Thanks!

MamaKath
08-08-2010, 02:00 PM
Congratulations on your newest edition!!!! What exciting news!!!

This year I am planning to make cloth bags for sandwiches using the method on here... http://angrychicken.typepad.com/angry_chicken/2010/07/snack-bags-a-sewing-tutorial.html
I have been also looking at a lot of the snap and lock containers, Costco has a really nice set. Not segmented, but a variety of sizes. I would love to use glass, but am not sure they would survive. I do sometimes send stuff in the Pampered Chef prep bowls with lids, that works great actually- light & good lids. Drinks will be in Contigos again, that worked really well!!!

I am interested to see what others advise as well. This year I am also trying to come up with more things my kids are willing to eat, but that is a separate post.

craftysierra
08-08-2010, 02:51 PM
I made my son some cloth Velcro bags last year I pack his sandwich and snacks in. I need to make more. I sandwiched water resistant fabric (fleece) from making diapers between just plain cotton prints. For us I have an unlined one that I use for things that do not dry out (crackers etc). I have little stainless bowls with plastic lids I bought at target (near the Pyrex 3 in a tube for $5). I am adding 2 lunchbots containers into rotation this year. http://www.amazon.com/LunchBots-Stainless-Steel-Lunch-Container/dp/B002G9UHY2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1281293183&sr=8-1 I did not use our thermos food containers as much as I thought last year, but my son was warming up to lunch ideas besides PB&J towards the end of the year.

Sierra

craftysierra
08-08-2010, 02:53 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Oggi-3-Inch-Diameter-Stainless-Airtight/dp/B002UA4MNY/ref=pd_sim_k_2

are similar to the bowls I bought at target

m448
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks Mamakath! It's been a wild ride for sure. ;)

I love those reusable bags, however we've found them a bit hard for the sandwiches and the crumpling/coming apart issue. I do have a ton of pyrex with lids that we've had for ages and I'm going to buy some of those new leak proof lids they have available on their site (it's a new pyrex container but I'd rather just replace my lids). DH can use those no problem since he actually brings containers back on a daily basis and usually heats up his lunch at work.

For the kids I'm not opposed to bpa free plastic and cheap (was thinking even target stuff) since it has to be light, leakproof and not drive me crazy if we misplace a piece.

craftysierra I saw those same bowls today but in glass at Target. I have a stainless set of condiment bowls but they're a little too leaky for liquid dressings. I bought them way back in the bento phase/craze. Thanks for the input so far. Definitely giving me something to think about.

bubbaray
08-08-2010, 05:54 PM
I have had GREAT success with the Rubbermaid Take N Toss in the sandwich size. They have been replaced by something else, I can't remember what Rubbermaid calls it. Ziploc and Glad both make disposable sandwich size containers. We use the medium sized round Ziploc ones for things like fresh fruit.

Lastly, we also use Wrap N Mats for sandwiches.

PS -- congrats on #4! :)

mamicka
08-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Congrats on #4! She's beautiful!

As to the lunch containers, I saw some that might fit the bill at the Pick-N-Save (Roundy's supermarket). I don't remember the brand name but they were lightweight & BPA free. You might find something similar at your local grocery store - I wouldn't have thought to look there.

AnnieW625
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
We like to use some sort of Tupperware for DH and my lunches. I just got the Built NY/Snapware set at Costco for me to use. DH takes a Corelle plate to work to heat up his food on. We still use plastic baggies for sandwiches and stuff. Once DD is a bit older I'll try the reusable sandwich bags, but I am a tad skeptical that they will work. We also use the Gerber bowls with lids for canned peaches and pineapple. Gladware mini round containers are great for jello, applesauce, and cottage cheese. DD did well bringing those things home last year. For water DD1 has a Camelbak, and if we ever do soup or mac n cheese we'll get some Foogo containers, my mom had similar ones for us when we were in elementary school.

egoldber
08-08-2010, 06:29 PM
I use the Ziploc small squares for sandwiches. Our lunches get a bit battered, so I can't imagine sandwiches standing up to that in a cloth wrap.

http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ContainersSmartSnapSeal.aspx

For things like hummos I use these mini round containers from Glad:

http://fresh.amazon.com/product?asin=B000WGBMMM&sim=detail

I also use these a LOT, in the 400 and 200 mL sizes.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen/foodStorage/leftoversPlastic?productId=10021671

wimama
08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
For my DS liunch I am using a Laptop Lunch Box or Funtainers for hot food. He has been using those already. I am planning on sending his afternoon snack (for after school daycare) in the Lunch Box Pico. And, I am planning on purchasing these Kids Konserve mini food container for Hummis. The Laptop lunch has a little mini dressing container, but it isn't big enough for the hummis.

My DH and I are going to start packing more of a Bento style lunch box and I just ordered these Easy Lunch Boxes and their containers. Supposedly they are leak resistant and you can put thicker liquids like yogurt in one of the sections with some waxpaper of the section. They are supposed to be sturdy like Tuperware containers, but they are priced pretty reasonably.

http://www.easylunchboxes.com/

dotgirl
08-08-2010, 08:03 PM
We use something similar to this - http://www.potterybarnkids.com/products/acrylic-food-storage/?pkey=x|4|1||3|lunch||0&cm_src=SCH just that ours aren't clear.

Very leakproof, extremely durable (and believe me, DS puts stuff to the test). I particularly like how well they stack together in his lunchbox (also PBK).

smilequeen
08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
I use the PBK containers and a thermos for anything hot. I also got a few plastic containers from Target with a built in ice pack for his afternoon snack. I also bought cloth napkins from PBK. For drinks though I just send those organic valley milk boxes.

kristac
08-08-2010, 08:49 PM
My DH and I are going to start packing more of a Bento style lunch box and I just ordered these Easy Lunch Boxes and their containers. Supposedly they are leak resistant and you can put thicker liquids like yogurt in one of the sections with some waxpaper of the section. They are supposed to be sturdy like Tuperware containers, but they are priced pretty reasonably.

http://www.easylunchboxes.com/

I got some Ziplock containers that are similar to the easylunchbox containers. http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Divided-Container-Rectangle/dp/B002LFLYT8/ref=pd_sim_hpc_5 (They are $2.xx at Target). So far I like them (DS1 used them for camp last week and we used them for picnics, etc). They don't leak assuming DS takes the time to put the lid back on properly if he doesn't eat all his applesauce, etc. My 3 year old can use them easily as well. My one gripe is the size does not fit many lunchboxes well. I also send a Kleen Kanteen or Thermos Intak water bottle so it was hard to find a lunchbox that would work. Ended up with a BYO (Built NY) Rambler from Walmart. I like the easylunchbox bag don't think it would work well stuffed into a backpack.

hillview
08-08-2010, 09:03 PM
We use laptop lunch and like it a lot.
/hillary

m448
08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Yay! I'm so glad you veteran lunch packers have shared the product recs. With my ADD I tend to hyperfocus on the research phase then bomb the implementation part. I'm hoping setting myself up with some proper tools will help. We tend to go out and about a reasonable bit but even when at home I figured it might be nice to have their lunchboxes ready to go with snacks and meal while the baby is so small and prone to nursing/sleeping at random times.

I'll admit I didn't take lunch to school and when having to pack a lunch for fieldtrips *hides head under bag* I told my mom I would take care of it and pack powdered ice tea mix, water and bunch of twinkies. LOL

Beth and Melissa thanks for the headsup on those containers. I saw you mentioned the nalgene little cream jars too Beth in another thread and was wondering if you still liked those? I'm thinking they'll work well for vinaigrettes, etc. Will definitely look for sandwich containers at the store too and saw that you and Melissa mentioned the litterless juice boxes in another thread too. Beth what do you typically pack in the sistema klip its? I know the smaller one looks perfect for snacks, etc. but what do you typically use the 400ml one?

I lurve the look of the laptop lunchboxes but buying for 3 plus ideally some extra inner containers would pretty much give me sticker shock. Kristac I like the idea of those divided containers too. Too bad we alternate just as many hot lunches if not more than sandwiches. I did buy the cooler bag from easylunchboxes for DH's use. Nice and big, simple and washable. He has a builtNY bag (gourmet getaway) that he uses as well but this one will be a bit bigger and I can use the other one for something else.

Mamicka your little guy made it here too! Congratulations and I'm so glad you're able to love on him in person now. Melissa thank you so much for the congratulations too.

egoldber
08-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I typically use the 400 mL ones for snacks like popcorn, uncut strawberries, pretzels, etc.

Overall I find the 200 mL size more useful though. I use them for crackers, pita triangles, apple slices, cheese slices, etc.

But the 400 mL size is great for packing snacks for the family.