PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal that I can't breathe?

LadyPeter
08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I am at the beginning of week 27 and I feel (and sound) asthmatic. It seems awfully early for me to be having so much trouble breathing, but what do I know? I'm a newbie.

The only way for me to really fill my lungs is to stand completely upright. Sitting up straight is the next easiest. With every degree of recline it gets harder. Needless to say, I'm sleeping badly.

There seem to be two problems - my nasal passages feel swollen shut and my lungs feel smashed flat.

Is this normal at the beginning of the third trimester? Or should I mention it to my midwife?

citymama
08-08-2010, 07:09 PM
If you're having serious trouble breathing, you should go to the ER ASAP. Really.

If you're asthmatic and feeling slightly wheezier than usual, don't hesitate to use your inhaler or other asthma medication. My asthma was awful during my entire second pregnancy and the docs stressed how important it was to take care of it - you don't want to be depriving the fetus of oxygen at any point. I had one night that was so bad I did need to go to the ER.

And no matter what, definitely mention to your midwife at the next visit. All the best!

Andi98989
08-08-2010, 07:34 PM
If you're having a lot of trouble breathing, go to an ER.

I had a lot of congestion during my entire pregnancy; later in my pregnancy, as the baby grew he was pressing on enough stuff that I had trouble getting a full breath - there just wasn't room for my lungs to expand. I got short of breath very easily. At night, I found using BreatheRight strips really did make a difference.

Also, I took Zyrtec during my entire pregnancy to help with my horrible allergies and the congestion.

I would give your midwife a call tomorrow and see what she thinks; if nothing else, it will give you peace of mind.

daisymommy
08-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, if you really feel like you seriously can't breathe. But usually, it's normal :) You have an entire human being in there, squashing your lungs and your diaphragm. I couldn't get a good breath from the third trimester on, with all 3 babies. I slept sitting slightly upright, stacked on 3 pillows, or in a reclining chair. Fun huh?

ewpmsw
08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
ITA with mentioning it at your next visit, and certainly with going to the ER ASAP if you really can't breathe.

I was congested throughout both pregnancies and felt like it was difficult to breathe throughout most of the third trimesters. I'm around week 39/40 now and had a few days recently when breathing seemed to get easier, then returned to being out of breath a lot. When I mentioned it to the ObByn last week, he said, "It's just perception. You can breathe." :irked: Well, yes, I CAN, but it's not always comfortable or as easy as usual. So glad I have a midwife and only have to see that guy occasionally.

swissair81
08-08-2010, 08:57 PM
"It's just perception. You can breathe." :irked:

My, how sweet... I would be seriously ticked off if my OB said that to me.