PDA

View Full Version : Too early to get a high chair ?

babyfiorina1
08-09-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm 25-week pregnant and we are looking for nursery necessities and all the other things that our 1st newborn will be needing. Actually we've purchased a crib, dresser and PNP yesterday (don't know if we are just overly excited or what!)
Now, I'm looking at purchasing high chair, Fisher Price Healthy Care and I don't know if this will be too early to purchase ? since the actual feeding won't really start until baby is much older. I've read some previous post and seems like lots of folks like Trip Trapp and Boon Flair.
Thanks for sharing again.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
Are you planning on having a baby shower? Do you think anyone on your family or friends will throw you one? If so, stop shopping! :) Add them to a registry and see. People do buy big ticket items so it's not a bad idea to hold off just in case. Is there a real rush to shop now? It's not too soon but it really won't be needed till 6ish months. You'll have to store it till then.

BEth

babyfiorina1
08-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Are you planning on having a baby shower? Do you think anyone on your family or friends will throw you one? If so, stop shopping! :) Add them to a registry and see. People do buy big ticket items so it's not a bad idea to hold off just in case. Is there a real rush to shop now? It's not too soon but it really won't be needed till 6ish months. You'll have to store it till then.

BEth

We did have it in our registry at first, then we took it off because we thought well, like you said it's big ticket items. But I guess you are right, we should have just left it in there. Actually, there's no rush at all. Like you said, we'll just put it in a registry, we can always get it when the time is closer for her to be in the high chair. Thanks :)

lovebebes
08-09-2010, 05:29 PM
my opinion is that it is too early. The reason I like to hold off on getting those bigger ticket items that I actually won't use right away is because often a newer model comes out that I love more, and often, even if I still prefer the older model, it get significantly cheaper just because its been around longer.

Also, you may decide later on that you prefer a whole different kind of setup for some reason (i.e. you want a wooden Stokke high chair that will go with your new furniture/last you longer/etc etc)

♥ms.pacman♥
08-09-2010, 05:36 PM
my opinion is that it is too early. The reason I like to hold off on getting those bigger ticket items that I actually won't use right away is because often a newer model comes out that I love more, and often, even if I still prefer the older model, it get significantly cheaper just because its been around longer.

Also, you may decide later on that you prefer a whole different kind of setup for some reason (i.e. you want a wooden Stokke high chair that will go with your new furniture/last you longer/etc etc)

:yeahthat:

i definitely would wait to buy a high chair. baby will be about 6 months before you even start to use it. by that time newer models will likely have come out that you like more (or, you realize you need something totally different) and it's too late to return the one you have.

i waited until my DS was 5 months before looking into getting a high chair. in the end, i went with a Fisher Price healthy care booster seat strapped on a regular dining room chair. very easy. i'm glad i didn't register for or buy a $$ high chair because i would be selling it right now on Craigslist (after DS started feeding i realized high chairs take up too much room, they are often hard to clean, etc). i may get a Tripp Trapp but i will only get one after I try DS in one and see if he likes it. I wouldn't spend the $$ on it if there's a chance he won't like it.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
We did have it in our registry at first, then we took it off because we thought well, like you said it's big ticket items. But I guess you are right, we should have just left it in there. Actually, there's no rush at all. Like you said, we'll just put it in a registry, we can always get it when the time is closer for her to be in the high chair. Thanks :)

People can really surprise you with what they are willing to buy! Also, people will go in together sometimes for $$ items. Put them all on there and some stores offer % discounts to complete your registry if you don't get them.

Beth

katydid1971
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Another thing to remember is people will be sending you gift cards. I used giftcards and a TRU coupon to buy my high chair used for two kids then sold it for about more than 60% of what I paid. I would wait. You are going to need other things long before the high chair (the exercise mate and a swing/bouncer). I always tell my friends the only things you really need before the baby comes is the car seat and diapers, all the rest just seems to show up ;)