PDA

View Full Version : What kind of breast pump for SAHM hoping to BF for 1 year?

sewarsh
08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
I used to have the Medela double electric pump for my 1st 2 kids and that was the bomb! I used it while I worked part-time.

Unfrotuantely, it was my sister-in-law's and now she needs it again.

SOO...any recommendations on one you think is good for a SAHM that hopes to breastfeed exclusively for a year?

Thansk!

♥ms.pacman♥
08-09-2010, 05:31 PM
i'm a SAHM and i love my Medela Pump-in-Style advanced (backpack). a few people told me it was "overkill" since i wasn't planning to go back to work for a while. however, didn't want to deal with a manual pump, and my DH said i should just go with the most convenient option. and honestly, i'm so glad i did..i love the PISA .i love the backpack which makes it convenient for air travel (i've flown with it twice already). although i don't pump that often (a few times a week) i find it really really useful to have a double..just makes everything go faster. i bought a Simple Wishes hands-free pumping bustier ($30) and now with that i can just pump hands-free in front of the TV. so easy. also, for me it's nice to have the convenience of a double electric...esp i ever have to end up exclusively pumping with future DC.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2010, 05:43 PM
I had a manual pump with ds1 and it did what I needed it to do. With ds2 I borrowed a friend's PIS that she never used. Loved it! But, I wouldn't spend that $$ on it though. Sure, it was convenient but I really got by fine w/o it the 1st time around. I'd look for a middle ground option.

Beth

sewarsh
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I'd look for a middle ground option.

Beth

Yes, that's what I'm looking for...middle ground option.
I've been using Medela PIS, and yes, it was amazing, but kind of a lot of $ and since this will be our last child, i can't justify it.

sste
08-09-2010, 06:43 PM
The middle ground option is the ameda purely yours which I think is also marketed as the lansinoh and is sold at target and maybe some other stores. I think you can get it for $100-$135.

I stayed home for 7 months and I had that pump - - and in fact, I wish I had had a Medela as I ended up pumping a fair amount (to stock up, when I went to the gym, I eventually got a babysitter two afternoons a week for me to have some time and work a bit on my research, etc).

luckytwenty
08-09-2010, 07:24 PM
I have a Medela--it's battery operated but one grade lower than the PIS...I forget the name and it's from 2003, but it did the trick.

I used the hand pump by Avent and didn't like it for even every other day pumping. If you want to nurse for a year, it's worth it to get something somewhat automatic.

alirebco
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I have the Ameda Purely Yours and it was more than efficient.

alexmommy
08-09-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm a SAHM and love my PISA. I haven't used it much, but loved it (as much as you can love a pump!) when I needed it. And some people end up needing it alot. Two of my friends just had kids and both have had to BF and then pump to increase supply. Could you buy a PISA used and then buy new components--horns, bottles, tubes, whatever...?

momm
08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Get a Medela from craigslist and buy all new parts from amazon.. you get a set of all new parts for 45$

ewpmsw
08-09-2010, 08:33 PM

:yeahthat: I'm also a SAHM and plan to use mine again. I really like mine: Easy to clean, easy to use, lightweight...

DrSally
08-09-2010, 10:34 PM
What about an Ameda PY. I personally didn't have any luck pumping manually. I'm a SAHM and EBF, but needed the pump a lot in the beginning and then occassionally after that.

swissair81
08-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Another vote for the Ameda PY.

pantrygirl
08-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I've used both and both work fine.
One thing to note about the Ameda PY, is parts are pretty much available online only.
If you aren't keen on online ordering, you might want to stick with Medela. Medela parts are more readily available at retail stores and pharmacies.

For the record, I used the Ameda PYs aggressively and it was a workhorse.
I still pump but had to retire the PYs and now use a hospital grade pump.

Beth24
08-10-2010, 12:17 AM
:yeahthat: I am also a SAHM. I got the Ameda and it works just as well as the PIS for half the price. I had the PIS with my other kids.

longtallsally05
08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
:yeahthat: I'm also a SAHM and plan to use mine again. I really like mine: Easy to clean, easy to use, lightweight...

Another vote for the Ameda Purely Yours. I have used the Ameda PY, the Medela PISA, and an Avent Isis and I liked the PY best out of all of them. I thought the PY was more efficient and easier to clean than the other two, and Dr Browns bottles fit right onto the pumping horns, in case you want to pump directly into a bottle for an evening out.