PDA

View Full Version : Prenatal massage "toxins"--seriously?

luckytwenty
08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I got a prenatal massage today. I was really looking forward to getting some relief for my aching back and legs, but the therapist pretty much just petted me--to the point that it was actually ticklish! I asked her to apply more pressure and she really just switched from barely touching me to petting, the way you might stroke your child's back to get them to sleep. (And having someone pet you for an hour while nice music plays is lovely--it just was not quite what I had in mind.)

Afterwards she explained that going deeper than that would release toxins that would activate my immune system and possibly cause me to have a miscarriage. I am 7 months pregnant and they only do prenatal massages on women 6 months+--have heard of this for the first tri but not when the baby is this developed. I kind of think it was hooey. I've had massages before and while they weren't digging deep, it was deep enough to smooth out some of the kinks. Anyone else hear of this "toxins" business??

wellyes
08-09-2010, 07:38 PM
That is ABSURD. For any trimester. I am seriously annoyed on your behalf. That's not even logical. Toxins are not "activated" by your immune system. We all carry toxins in our tissue --- but I've not heard of specific "miscarriage-inducing" ones. And if the pressure of a massage was enough to cause that kind of problem, it'd not be safe to even sit for extended periods since that puts a lot of pressure on your backside.

I'd ask for my money back if I were you! You deserve a real prenatal massage. I had them weekly starting at 7 months with my first and it was heavenly.

brgnmom
08-09-2010, 07:40 PM
woah, I haven't heard of that explanation before... and I have had a few prenatal massages during the second trimester, while pregnant with my first child.

bostonsmama
08-09-2010, 08:19 PM
I think it's definitely a liability thing for some people, but there isn't much science to back it up. Actually, when it comes to first trimester miscarriage, there are studies that prove the opposite: that regular massage in the first trimester REDUCES the risk of miscarriage. I got 3 deep-tissue massages (on my stomach and back) before 13 weeks, and for our spa the cutoff was supposed to be 11 weeks (where you'd have to be on your side, but the lady knew me). Anyways, this is my first pg to last this long--and truthfully I don't think the massages helped preserve this pg, but they certainly didn't harm me or baby.

I'd call the manager and ask for a redo.

ewpmsw
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
I've heard the toxins-being-released explanation at two different spas. Both times, the attendant asked whether I was pg while reviewing the form I'd filled out prior to the massage. When I questioned why it mattered, I was told that massaging certain pressure points is designed to release toxins associated with those parts of the body and could result in harm to the child, or possible miscarriage.

I know nothing about massage or pressure points. It didn't worry me at later massages. Other attendants had a different take on the whole thing at other times, and the ladies who have done prenatal massage on me said they simply avoid the pressure points on pg women, or didn't subscribe to the toxins thing.

SnuggleBuggles
08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I was a guinea pig at a massage school when the masseuses were going for their prenatal certification. It was a highly accredited school and program, recommended by my CNMs too.

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
That is ABSURD. For any trimester. I am seriously annoyed on your behalf. That's not even logical. Toxins are not "activated" by your immune system. We all carry toxins in our tissue --- but I've not heard of specific "miscarriage-inducing" ones. And if the pressure of a massage was enough to cause that kind of problem, it'd not be safe to even sit for extended periods since that puts a lot of pressure on your backside.

I'd ask for my money back if I were you! You deserve a real prenatal massage. I had them weekly starting at 7 months with my first and it was heavenly.

:yeahthat:

i really went to town with prenatal massages in my 3rd trimester. i think i had them weekly or every other week, as my back/neck and everything else was killing me. i used to get massages often pre-prego as well, and the only thing different really is that they have a bolster for your tummy or they do it side-lying, and they avoid certain areas (like the ankles i think) which are pressure points that have slight chance of inducing labor. but that's it. they did apply strong enough pressure that it hurt somewhat (a "good hurt") which was exactly what i wanted/needed. that whole pressure/toxins claim is ridiculous, never even heard of that. and yeah, i'd be asking for my money back ASAP.

DebbieJ
08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
YOu need another massage or your money back. That is ridiculous.

srhs
08-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Ridiculous! That stinks!
I respect she was nervous and didn't want to cause you harm, but she should've told you upfront rather than wasting your time and money...so you could find a therapist educated and effective.

luckytwenty
08-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Thanks! That's what I suspected. I did talk to the manager afterwards and she reiterated the "toxins" theory, unfortunately, so I don't see a refund in my future.

I will ask around, though, and get a rec for a GOOD prenatal massage, because I need one! I feel like they wasted my time--and money. Luckily it was a Groupon purchase so it was only $35, but that's still $35 I would have more happily spent on a regular pedicure or something.

oneontheway
08-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I had pregnancy massages through all three pregnancies and never had any problem and I ask them to be as deep as possible because I have back issues. I have heard there are some trigger points, like on one side of your ankle where they shouldn't apply strong pressure but that's about it. Hope you find a good massage therapist!!

KrisM
08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks! That's what I suspected. I did talk to the manager afterwards and she reiterated the "toxins" theory, unfortunately, so I don't see a refund in my future.

I will ask around, though, and get a rec for a GOOD prenatal massage, because I need one! I feel like they wasted my time--and money. Luckily it was a Groupon purchase so it was only $35, but that's still $35 I would have more happily spent on a regular pedicure or something.

Unless they warned you up front that it that type of massage, I'd still ask for my money back. Afterwards is not the same.

I've had massages skip my feet pressure points while pregnant, except when I went in for a foot massage at 41.5 week pregnant. But, never any other time.

elliput
08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
I had a pre-natal massage at 36 weeks and was being watched for pre-e at the time. My doctor had no problem with me getting a massage and the massage therapist only mentioned not massaging certain trigger points as they could (not would) induce labor. I have never heard of toxins causing miscarriage due to massage.

longtallsally05
08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Sounds like BS to me, and that it starts with management. My prenatal massage therapist was certified by the American Massage Therapist Association, and she did a good job working out some huge knots. Heck, she even used her elbow on my rhomboid & trap muscles. The only thing she said about toxins was to be sure to drink lots of water after the massage to help flush them out of my system, but staying hydrated is important for anyone (pg or not). I went for a massage every other week while I was pg; it was a gift to myself. Check out the AMTA website to find a certified therapist & you'll be sure to get a good massage.

http://www.amtamassage.org/findamassage/index.html

Good luck!

Andi98989
08-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I've heard about toxins being released from the muscles during massage; I get massages regularly as part of my physical therapy at my chiropractor and they told me about it. I have never, ever heard about it potentially being bad for a baby, though. Very strange.

ohiomom1121
08-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I went for one at about 8 1/2 months pregnant and the major difference from a regular massage was not lying on my stomach, just back and side and propped up with pillows. Ugh, someone petting me would have made me nuts. I would definitely persue a refund or make up massage, groupon or not. What a joke!!!

ewpmsw
08-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Went to a new place for a pedicure today and happened into a conversation with the technician about the massage/toxin subject. She suggested that the last person who gave me a pedi went easy on my feet to avoid stimulating the pressure points there, which can release toxins or kick off uterine contractions or... Lots of other things. I got a quick lesson on reflexology in the salon. :) Googled it and there's a ton of info on reflexology and pregnancy.