PDA

View Full Version : Homemade tomato sauce with fresh tomatoes....

sewarsh
08-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I saw a couple online that look great...only problem. They require blanching, then peeling the tomato and deseeding.

Can you make tomato sauce and skip the peeling/deseeding part?

thanks!

Anyone have a great recipe?

DebbieJ
08-09-2010, 08:43 PM
if you don't mind the skin and seeds in your sauce, then it's no big deal.

Smillow
08-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I never skin or peel tomatoes for sauce. In the past we have had 40+ tomato plants & make sauce every couple of days - I just cut up tomatoes, put them in the blender, then cooked em down, bagged the sauce & froze. We've always grown heirloom tomatoes.

ThreeofUs
08-10-2010, 09:37 AM
A little oil - EVOO or organic canola IME make the best sauces - a little garlic, herbs, peppers, or any other veggies stirred in until the flavor is released and then chopped tomatoes. Cook until you like it.

Actually, one of my favorite sauces is just canola/EVOO and chopped tomatoes, lightly cooked to a very chunky sauce. Tastes wonderful!

elephantmeg
08-14-2010, 08:59 AM
my simple version is now to freeze the tomatoes, run them under hot water to skin them, let them thaw in a collander to drain, then roast them in the over (250ish) with olive oil, herbs and garlic until they are reduced and then use my immersion blender. I did try once to just not bother seeding/cooking down the tomatoes and the sauce was watery and almost bitter. Blech

hellokitty
08-14-2010, 10:18 AM
my simple version is now to freeze the tomatoes, run them under hot water to skin them, let them thaw in a collander to drain, then roast them in the over (250ish) with olive oil, herbs and garlic until they are reduced and then use my immersion blender. I did try once to just not bother seeding/cooking down the tomatoes and the sauce was watery and almost bitter. Blech

Yes, if you want an easy way to peel tomato skins (for tomatoes used for cooking), just wash, dry and freeze them and then when they defrost or you run them under water, the skin comes right off. Just be careful you don't leave them sitting out, b/c it will leave a big puddle!

ohiomom1121
08-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I made a huge pot of sauce in the crock pot and didn't bother doing either. I hated all the little skins in it and kept picking them out when eating them...I would definitely peel next time. The seeds don't bother me at all though.