PDA

View Full Version : *Update - 2nd page* Failed a Class

AshleyAnn
08-09-2010, 11:04 PM
I just realized with 24 hrs before the final exam in my biz ethics class that its mathmatically impossible for me to pass. Great. The teacher has assigned 10 times the homework of most other teachers and I got behind then got flusterated with tons of issues and I'm failing and can't recover. Damn. Damn. Damn. Its my own fault but I'm still upset.

Its a classroom based class but my teacher uses the schools net stuff heavily. I had a computer issue at the beginning of the semester and my teachers gave me this long lecture about needing to just go to best buy and the one in todays paper for $650. Well sorry for having a family and being on a *tight* budget but $650 is not something I can just run on and spend on a computer.

I got my computer repaired and discovered the schools computer system couldn't give me a log on ID because of my forced maternity leave last year. once I finally got the ID, the system was set wrong by my teacher so I couldn't turn it what I did have. It took going around and around with him for 3 weeks before he finally checked the system and discover he had it wrong. I was standing right there when he fixed the mistake THEN he gave me a lecture and cut me down about being a high maintenance student. I was already really flusterated with all the problems and the crazy homework load then he blames me for his error and the school not having me registered correctly.

So I gave up on the whole homework crap. I take multiple classes and am a SAHM, my husband is in the Army and mobilized twice during this semester. I got exhausted and just couldn't do it. I did ok in my other classes but still damn.

heatherandlouis
08-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Just breathe :) You will be just fine even if you have to repeat the class with another teacher. Too bad you are having some bad luck.

liz
08-10-2010, 06:38 AM
I'm sorry. It sounds like you are a good student, so failing must be a really difficult thing for you. Is there another teacher you can have next semester? Sometimes it's really hard when you have a teacher with a different teaching style than you are used to. Oh well, chalk it up to experience and kick that classses' ass next semester. Best of luck.

DietCokeLover
08-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Sounds like the teacher needs to rake his own class and get some ethics. Sorry you had to go through all of that. Hope you can get a different teacher next time.

lowrioh
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Call the department and see what the ramifications are for not taking the exam and getting and incomplete (or see if you can even do that). You might be able to repeat the class and get the Incomplete off your transcript or they might be able to pressure the lecturer to come to some agreement to let you hand in homework or do extra credit.

elizabethkott
08-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Every department has a department head or a dean.
I'd go over your professor's head, directly to the person in charge of him and explain exactly what happened. This is the person who has the power to give you an incomplete, or give you extra time to finish assignments beyond the semester.
And breathe, woman! You got a lot going on!!! And you're doing a super job of it, too!!!

marge234
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I agree with PP that you do not deserve to fail this class. If you get good grade on the final exam it will help show that you shouldn't fail. And professors have a lot of leeway. I've turned in late work and profs have given me a break and not followed their own policy of losing a half a grade a day. I'd actually try talking to the professor. If you can muster the energy.

Maybe try writing everything down as well so that you are clear and leave a record of what exactly you're asking. Own the stuff that's your responsibility--as you did here--but make clear that there were other problems beyond your control. Some words, in case it helps.

I am writing to request that you review the unusual circumstances surrounding the work I am missing and consider giving me the opportunity to complete it. There were a number of technical mishaps that were beyond my control that prevented me from getting proper credit for XYZ. REFRESH MEMORY.

In addition, once I'd resolved the above problems, my personal circumstances--my husband was mobilized twice during this time period--made it difficult for me to catch up in time. I have learned a great deal in this course and, while I recognize I did not strictly adhere to the policies, do not believe I deserve to fail. I hope you will give me the opportunity to turn in the missing work.

If the professor says no, kick it up to a dept head or dean.

Dream
08-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Can you ask for extra credit work? That plus a good grade at the final might help you pull through. Form my understanding most teachers are not set on failing students and would help to get them pass. When I was in the graduate programs they would almost always offer extra credit work for everyone, so even students expecting lower grades can pull up their grade.

Good Luck.

AshleyAnn
08-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks ladies!

I go to a really small private school so taking another teacher here isn't an option. He is the exclusive teacher for this class and two others I need to graduate. DH is hoping to get a permanent duty station beginning on next year so I think I'll be transfering school so I'm just going to take other classes until then.

The restrictions on incompletes are really tight at my school and I don't qualify. I really don't want to do it at this point. I just want it to be over. The homework I did get turned it was graded really harsely and he sent me a nasty email about needing to take more time and that it wasn't nearly good enough compared to others work.

I'm just glad after today I have 2 weeks of no class.

longtallsally05
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Every department has a department head or a dean.
I'd go over your professor's head, directly to the person in charge of him and explain exactly what happened. This is the person who has the power to give you an incomplete, or give you extra time to finish assignments beyond the semester.
And breathe, woman! You got a lot going on!!! And you're doing a super job of it, too!!!

:yeahthat: Definitely go up the chain of command.

AshleyAnn
08-10-2010, 10:05 PM
UPDATE: I checked my orginal paper syllabus that I was given on day one and he CHANGED it on the net. By the paper syllabus I'm fine by the net one I'm screwed and fail. Yeah I emailed that to my advisor and his boss today.

He sent us his final exam by email because he's going to be out of town the day its supposed to be scheduled for. Its 5 essay questions minimum 15 pages with 48 hrs to right them. Oy. He only has 24 hrs after the turn in time to grade 30 students and turn in our grades.

elephantmeg
08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
good luck! hang in there-it sounds like it wasn't your fault at all!

liz
08-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Keep us updated. Good luck!!

AshleyAnn
08-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Got my grade - failed by 2.2 points. Damn.

I'm requesting an inquiry to the grades. I don't think he graded one of my assignments at all. The slot is empty and I don't believe it was updated when I turned in the work (2 part assignment). I have no proof I turned this in and since its after grading are submitted it maybe too late to do anything but I'm crossing my fingers.

I may qualify to pass if we had been graded by the orginal syllabus which had a 10 percent participation grade that was dropped in favor of more weight put on homework. I need a 55% participation grade to pass and since it is a highly subjective grade at the teachers discression he could still screw me over and fail me.

But I feel ever so slightly hopeful I may pull a C and get credit. If not - well I tried, at least I stuck it out and didn't just say screw it when things went south.

elephantmeg
08-15-2010, 11:51 PM
I hope they pass you! Good for you for sticking it out!

tiapam
08-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Got my grade - failed by 2.2 points. Damn.

I'm requesting an inquiry to the grades. I don't think he graded one of my assignments at all. The slot is empty and I don't believe it was updated when I turned in the work (2 part assignment). I have no proof I turned this in and since its after grading are submitted it maybe too late to do anything but I'm crossing my fingers.

I may qualify to pass if we had been graded by the orginal syllabus which had a 10 percent participation grade that was dropped in favor of more weight put on homework. I need a 55% participation grade to pass and since it is a highly subjective grade at the teachers discression he could still screw me over and fail me.

But I feel ever so slightly hopeful I may pull a C and get credit. If not - well I tried, at least I stuck it out and didn't just say screw it when things went south.

I think it it sooo wrong for teachers to change the syllabus rules mid-semester, even if it is early on. I had a teacher change something in a class by letting the students vote! Uh, dude, you are the teacher, it's not a democracy! I read the syllabus the first day and decided it was fine with me, but after he changed it, I dropped the class and did an independent study instead, which I hated.

Hope you get a passing grade. I think it's worth pursuing under the circumstances.