PDA

View Full Version : drinking until BFP

Myira
08-10-2010, 05:16 AM
Just wondering if it is okay to have an occasional glass of wine until getting a positive pregnancy test. Or if you didn't know you had conceived and had been drinking in the 2WW?

luckytwenty
08-10-2010, 06:55 AM
I did. In fact, I had a glass of wine the night before my BFP both this pregnancy and my second pregnancy. I wouldn't get totally plastered and I'd make sure you were testing no later than a few days after your missed period to make sure you cover your bases, though.

okinawama
08-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I have always subscribed to the (in moderation) "drink till you see pink" (two pink lines on a pregnancy test). I too always make sure to test right around the time AF is expected.

sewarsh
08-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Ummm....I didn't know I was prego until 9 weeks with DD. Needless to say I totally FREAKED out becuase the weekend before i got my postive result I was at my alma mater college totally drinking/smoking for 2 days. Anywyas, my OB said no big deal becuase the embryo isn't attached that early in life and the alcohol would not get through your placenta.

Okay, so I'm missing some terms here (science never my strong suit), but point being YOU ARE FINE!

Myira
08-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for putting my mind at ease :)

AshleyAnn
08-10-2010, 10:48 PM
An old coworker of mine got a BFP the day after attending a weekend concert festive (read: huge drinking fest) she was nearly 12 weeks and her OB told her not to worry about it.

Andi98989
08-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Totally fine; you're not sharing anything with the baby at that point. DH and I had been TTC; the night before I was due to test was a huge drinking/party night for a friend's birthday. I was quite happy to have a few as my "last hurrah" :)

bostonsmama
08-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Well, the embryo is definitely attached by a few days before your missed AF (if you're regular), but I, too, have read that very early alcohol consumption (prior to 6 weeks) isn't as detrimental as weeks after and later on. The reason doctors tell you not to worry about prior alcohol consumption is that there's nothing you can do about it now, so don't beat yourself up. If something happens, it may or may NOT have been from exposure, but there just aren't any studies on a "safe limit" on alcohol b/c of the ethics of that kind of study.

I'm not prone to overindulgence when I do drink, but I did have 3 glasses of wine a week before missed AF--and I felt so bad, but everything is FINE. :)