PDA

View Full Version : Shoes -- Stride Rite, others good for new walker

JamieMK
08-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Several mamas have told me that Stride Rite shoes are the best for new walkers.

My DS should be walking soon and I want to get him shoes parents consider good for new walkers, but of course I would like to get them at a good price.

Any suggestions?

As always, thanks to all who help. I love this site. Such a great support for parents that don't even know one another. :love5:

So glad that I checked with you all about the shoes! I actually have a couple of Robeez I got from one of the baby deal sites (Babysteals, maybe?) awhile back. They are 12-18 months but they seem so huge! Is it OK to have this type of shoe be a little bigger? I bought a pair of See Kai Run last night from Babysteals, but those are 18-24 months. What I'm reading here, that's probably a better idea at that size since he should be more stable by then. I also bought 2 Squeakers shoes from Mamabargains awhile back but those are too big too.

Didn't even pay attention to the kids forum...I'm so used to going into the bargains thread that I don't think to always check out the other threads unless I'm looking for a review on a stroller, carrier, etc.

As always, you guys ROCK!

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't like SR and think there are better options out there. Back in the day SR didn't have much competition so moms with older kids especially stick with SR. For a new walker I wouldn't do a hard sole and I would stick with barefoot as much as possible. Try something like Pedipeds. That's what I bought ds2 as his 1st shoes. He wore them everywhere in those first months (well, actually longer than that- till he was 20m and started walking at 9m). Nice soft, flexible sole, easy as heck to get on, enough foot protection (ime). eta- and b/c the size ranges are like 6-12m I found the sizing to be more forgiving and slower to be outgrown- we got more use out of them.

Beth

jvs195
08-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Same here, SR is not flexible enough for new walkers (even the newer styles should be used later once walking is more established IMO). Check out the Kidwear forum for tons of discussions on this subject. Soft sole shoes are best when not barefoot especially at first. If you can fold it up I wouldn't buy it. Pediped Originals are great (more substantial bottoms than Robeez etc. but good for outdoors multiple terrains), I also liked bobux and shooshoos. Always lots of bargains on all of these. There are also cheap robeez knockoffs at Target many people like.

Neatfreak
08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Seconding the Pedipeds - they were great for second kid. My first kid had a pair of Pedoodles, which I also liked very much. Their sole was a little more protective.

JBaxter
08-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Stride rites have pretty stiff soles. My first 2 wore them but that was our only option. Pedoodles, Pedipeds, Robeez are great for 1st walkers outside. Its best they are barefoot of socks with grippers ( they are more steady) GET YOUR CHILD MEASURED the first time or you may get blisters/ sore spots if they are not wide enough

lchang25000
08-10-2010, 09:42 AM
We LOVE Rileyroos! They have the cutest styles! DS started walking at 9.5 months and that's all he wore. They have the little grippy bottoms for traction and support. The Pedipeds are smooth on the bottom which could cause some slippery issues, esp. in the rain and winter, according to what I've read from other mommies on this board. I've never personally tried them on DS since we love the Rileyroos so much! He's worn them in thw snow and rain with no issues.

iaam
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Pedipeds, hands down. Robeez and similar shoes are good too. I liked See Kai Run for a little later, when DS has 'mastered' the art of walking a little.

army_mom
08-10-2010, 10:03 AM
we used mostly pedipeds and the Umi prewalkers when DD started to actually walk. We used the Robeez primarily before she was really walking. Both held up really well.

http://www.amazon.com/umi-Infant-Toddler-Puggle-Months/dp/B000QWZUM0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=shoes&qid=1281448833&sr=8-1

wendibird22
08-10-2010, 10:06 AM
For DD1 at that stage we did Pedipeds and then Preschoolians.

lowrioh
08-10-2010, 10:10 AM
We did pedipeds and Smaller by See Kai Runs for the first 4 months DD was walking and then when the weather got cooler we switched over to Stride Rites. DD has a wide foot and high instep so the SR seem to fit the best.

arivecchi
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Stride Rite has several lines and some are appropriate for new walkers. My son was in physical therapy for developmental delays and his therapist only liked the Stride Rites we got him. She said soft-soled shoes (like Pedipeds and Robeez) do not offer enough support for a new walker. You also need shoes with a "grippy" sole not a flat sole so they don't slip around in some surfaces. We used these from the STR line:

http://www.diapers.com/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=18847

The Soft Motion and STR lines are great for new walkers:

http://www.striderite.com/text/strideritetechnology/index.jsp

Momto1
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Love Rileyroos and Umi pre-walkers. DD's been walking for a couple months now and still does better in the softer soled shoes. (and they're adorable and soo soft)

We have a pair of Stride Rite SRTs that we got for $20 at Nordstrom Rack, but I still prefer the softer soles on her at this point.

Jenn850
08-10-2010, 11:36 AM
My early walker wore Robeez and we loved them. Cute and the next best thing to bare foot while you are out and about.

brittone2
08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
The vast, vast majority of PTs will suggest barefoot or a soft soled shoe. New walkers usually take a good while to walk outside unassisted anyway so generally the soft soles are fine for a while. Once they are walking over uneven surfaces like gravel, rocks, outdoors in an urban environment you may want to go to a thin rubber sole (with lots of flexibility).

My mentor was an amazing therapist who also happened to be married to a pediatric orthopedic surgeon.

THe tradeoff of more sole is that the foot is less able to spread and balance effectively. The sole also blocks sensory input through the foot which is important for a child to feel in order to balance. Those little toes need to be able to spread, grip, and wiggle around for optimal balance. A firmer sole makes all of that nearly impossible.

The vast, vast majority of kids do not need any sort of support as new walkers. If they need support there are generally other concerns going on (child needs special inserts, for orthopedic concerns).

eta: i'm not a huge stride rite fan. They do work well for kids who need special sizing (wide feet, etc.) and some of their lines are more flexible. IME/IMO they push too mush sole too early on too many children. You really need flexibility when they are just starting out.

arivecchi
08-10-2010, 01:36 PM
That is what I thought as well, so I got him Pedipeds at first. He did have more issues with them than the SRs. Maybe it varies from child to child, but in our case, our PT was right (and I was quite skeptical).

brittone2
08-10-2010, 01:40 PM
That is what I thought as well, so I got him Pedipeds at first. He did have more issues with them than the SRs. Maybe it varies from child to child, but in our case, our PT was right (and I was quite skeptical).
It is one of those things worth trying for some kids but the vast majority of PTs prefer to see kids barefoot or in soft soles. It is awesome it worked well for your DS however.

A shoe really doesn't do much for motion control, etc. Years ago PTs would sometimes recommend high tops for example, but that has really fallen by the wayside in the last decade or so. If a child really needs support, there are better ways to provide it in most cases.

(eta: I never like to 2nd guess another therapist's recommendations...just sharing my experience and that of the majority of therapists I've worked with. There are low tone kids that benefit from a little pattiibob insert, etc. in their shoes but most typically developing kids do best in soft soles or barefoot).

arivecchi
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I am glad you mentioned it. I did not realize that was not the case for all kiddos. DS2 is unusual in oh so many ways. I guess this is just one more "unique" thing about him. :)

brittone2
08-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I am glad you mentioned it. I did not realize that was not the case for all kiddos. DS2 is unusual in oh so many ways. I guess this is just one more "unique" thing about him. :)

It is awesome that it worked :) I hope he continues to make great progress :D

alirebco
08-10-2010, 06:21 PM
We did Robeez when DS first started walking and then after he was more solid, we switched to See Kai Run which are very flexible but with a harder sole so more protection outside. We did buy some Stride Rites but they were so stiff and he kept tripping on them so we returned them.

heatherandlouis
08-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I love robeez tredz for my 13 month old son who is a new walker. These are the only shoes that he doesn't trip in. They are solid on the bottom but are super flexible.

swissair81
08-10-2010, 11:57 PM

I love how PTs are all different. My DSs PT wanted Eccos.

For my DDs I used Pedipeds & Robeez. DS @ 21 months mostly wears See Kai Run.