PDA

View Full Version : Purging and cleaning - do I need anything else?

KrisM
08-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Friday afternoon or evening, DH is taking all the kids away for the weekend so I can clean/organize the house! :cheerleader1:

For the most part, it's our master bedroom and the basement that are in need of big help. DS2 and DD's closets need to be finished, as well. They have stuff that doesn't belong there and should move to the basement.

So, I have lots of garbage bags for trash and some donations. I have a bunch of laundry bins that I can use for sorting. I figured I'd label them and sort an area and then pack up when a bin is full. I have some small/medium boxes, but nothing very big for putting larger donation things in. Do you think I need some?

Anything else I might need to make this easier and faster? I really want both areas completely done when they get home. Counting on 7 hours of sleep a night, I have either 27 or 33 hours to work (and eat, etc).

I'm trying to convince DH to take a half day and leave after lunch. It's not just for me :) - but it's a 2.5 hour drive and the kids would be easier to get to bed if they had time to play outside first and if they leave after dinner, they'll get there around 9pm.

fivi2
08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
cleaning supplies?

sterlite bins with lids? (and a sharpie.) Lots and lots of garbage bags?

Good luck!

Momof3Labs
08-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Post-its for some quick labeling as you go along?

KrisM
08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Okay, I'll do a few pads of Post Its and a bunch of markers. I know I'll lose them as I go, so I'll be sure to have a bunch!

egoldber
08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I prefer wide masking tape for labeling bins as I go. It sticks better and doesn't fall off. :)

Momof3Labs
08-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I was just thinking that maybe blue painter's tape would be better to have on hand. You can use it to tape together piles or pieces as you go along since it comes off easily. And you can write on it!

Although those new post-it labels are pretty handy. The whole back is sticky, so they don't fall off of bins and such nearly as easily as regular post-it notes.

KrisM
08-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Tape does make more sense. I haven't seen Post It labels and will look that up.

Lori - is your week of cleaning this week or next?

I also need a plan for what to do with DH's stuff. I can sort and put some things away, but there is a lot that I don't want to toss if he needs it. I guess a big bin right in the middle of his studio would work :).

wendibird22
08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
We did a big cleaning/organizing last fall and bought about 15 large bins and our basement is beautifully organized with stacked and labeled bins. They are easy to move around, won't get all tippy, keep the bugs out, etc. DH went so far as to organize our year-round holiday decor so that spring holidays have a bin, summer holidays, etc. It's been great.

Happy cleaning and organizing!

kristenk
08-10-2010, 10:08 AM
How about a bunch of ziplock bags in different sizes? I find those useful especially when getting some of DD's old toys ready for donation. I put everything together in a ziplock and then seal the top with painter's tape (in addition to the zip seal part). It seems like a good setup b/c it's easy to intentionally unseal, but not too likely to open accidentally during the charity's sorting process.

bigpassport
08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Definitely ziplocs! Also, paper towels, a few rags, vacuum bags, broom/dustpan. Even if its stuff you already have, gather them up now before you get started.

A little OT but wear pants/shorts with decent sized pockets so you can put little odds and ends in your pockets without having to get up from your project so often. I would have a garbage pocket and a save/donate pocket.

Good luck! I'm excited for you!

Momof3Labs
08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Tape does make more sense. I haven't seen Post It labels and will look that up.

Lori - is your week of cleaning this week or next?

I also need a plan for what to do with DH's stuff. I can sort and put some things away, but there is a lot that I don't want to toss if he needs it. I guess a big bin right in the middle of his studio would work :).

This week!! Starting now - though DH is in bed with a stomach bug, so I'm starting on my closet and dresser and hope that he can catch up with me in a few hours.

KrisM
08-10-2010, 06:51 PM
This week!! Starting now - though DH is in bed with a stomach bug, so I'm starting on my closet and dresser and hope that he can catch up with me in a few hours.

Brave enough for before and after pictures? I think I am going to and depending on how they look, I'll post them :).

Love the ziploc idea! Would not have thought of that.

I hope to have it all together and ready, so that when they leave, I can start.

niccig
08-10-2010, 07:01 PM
shopping bags - when I did my garage I had a box full of toys. I would put all pieces for one toy in a shopping bag adn tie it up - either it was stored or into donation box.

label maker

Food for you....stock fridge up with easy to make food

Beverage of choice for during the day AND for a glass of something when you're done for each day...

I so wish I had some similar time. I am making some headway but slow going...

bigsis
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I think bigger boxes would be a better idea. You can label them, line them up and just start throwing things in there. Much better than having to go to the trash bag, hold it up, and put the stuff in there.

Look for free boxes at everyone's work and Freecycle. Hope this helps!

BTW, make sure the labels are big enough so you can see them a mile away. Nothing like being on a ladder and you can't see which box you should be "shooting" for.

WatchingThemGrow
08-10-2010, 09:14 PM
I think bigger boxes would be a better idea. You can label them, line them up and just start throwing things in there. Much better than having to go to the trash bag, hold it up, and put the stuff in there.

Look for free boxes at everyone's work and Freecycle. Hope this helps!

BTW, make sure the labels are big enough so you can see them a mile away. Nothing like being on a ladder and you can't see which box you should be "shooting" for.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:
I'm a fan of the 66 gallon plastic totes. Target had the Rubbermaid Revelations for a decent deal a few years ago, but now the similar ones are priced ridiculously. The Sterilite ones at Walmart are inferior and the handles will likely break, but I got them anyway 15 of them... We used them to pack up our kitchen with the rodent visitors.

Now those bins are labeled with CARDSTOCK taped (painter's tape) to the front edge. HUGE WRITING with a MARKS-A-LOT makes it nice and easy for DH to find them in the attic.

I'd probably make a list of labels to make before even beginning - and just have them ready to stick on boxes as you need. With the painter's tape, it is easy enough to rearrange the labels as needed. It is such a pain to sit down and make a new label midway. I always lose my markers.

Totally jealous of your time to do this. Not quite as jealous as when you had your weekend away, though. If I could ever get my DH to muster up the strength to take all 3 DC away, it would be great!

elephantmeg
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
empty cars to stash donations!
an apron with pockets to hold your tape/markers/stupid little stuff like pennies etc that you find-a cheap painters apron is perfect for this
swiffer duster wipes-lots of them!
index cards

costco sometimes has boxes that will work (and sometimes not!)

Momof3Labs
08-10-2010, 10:58 PM
I should have taken a before and after picture of my closet - it looks sooooo much nicer now!! The kids' linen closet looks great now, too. But alas, I didn't take before pics. The purpose of this week isn't actually to organize per se, but just to get rid of stuff that we don't need any more and get things back where they belong. So tonight I have two big boxes of donations, a medium box of stuff to sell (kids' consignment sale at the end of the month) and a medium box of stuff to keep that simply belongs elsewhere in the house. (Everything else has already been put where it belongs in the house.) We're not done upstairs since DH was out of commission until about 2pm so need to finish this space tomorrow morning, then move downstairs to the main level. The basement is scheduled for Thursday.

The donation boxes went straight to the garage where they will be sorted for various charities (library, support the troops, goodwill).

Have a fan handy because you will get warm if you are doing things right, lol. I also filled a large McDonald's cup with ice water to keep nearby.

I do recommend having dustcloths (I used microfiber cloths) on hand, plus a dustbuster or small cordless vac (we have a dog and hardwood, so the dust bunnies collect in remote corners).

katydid1971
08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Have a note pad and pen so that you can list items you are putting into the donation bags as you put them in. For tax reasons is a lot better to have "8 men's dress shirts, 3 women's pants" than "3 bags of clothes". If you use turbo tax there is a place where you list everything you donate and it tells you how much its worth.
AlsoI love the super large zip lock bags they have at the dollar store. They hold a ton of stuff and make sorting items easier. I have one full of pool toys etc.

Globetrotter
08-10-2010, 11:15 PM
oooohh, is it pathetic that I am jealous? yes, it is

How about lots of bins for sorting/storage, sharpie. I would say also a label maker! :love5: mine

Today I purged a lot of kid's stuff and, instead of waiting to donate it the "right" way, I got up the guts to just drop it off at Goodwill right away! So much easier for me, and just this once it didn't pile up in my donation pile. however, I couldn't find the goodwill drop off location so it's still in my van! That said, I still do a lot of specific donations, like to the library or school or homeless shelter, plus freecycling.

KrisM
08-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Have a note pad and pen so that you can list items you are putting into the donation bags as you put them in. For tax reasons is a lot better to have "8 men's dress shirts, 3 women's pants" than "3 bags of clothes". If you use turbo tax there is a place where you list everything you donate and it tells you how much its worth.
AlsoI love the super large zip lock bags they have at the dollar store. They hold a ton of stuff and make sorting items easier. I have one full of pool toys etc.

I had another thread about motivating to donate things because I can't itemize this year and would have to hold them until January. So, no need to write it down - that's a plus in my mind!

I have the large ziplocs that have handles and I have one of snorkles, etc and it hangs on a hanger in the coat closet.

KrisM
08-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I convinced DH to take a half day off work and leave after lunch! Really, it'll be better for him because leaving after dinner gets them there at 8:30 and it'll be getting dark and the kids will be wired. Leaving after lunch gets them there around 3pm and the kids can play and it'll be much better for bedtime!

I did tell him I would mow the grass tomorrow too.

I like the apron idea and have one that will work fine. I have the Sharpies, ziplocks, and some boxes. I don't want Rubbermaid containers because I have a few and I don't want to keep stuff! If I have to, I can run to Meijer tomorrow night.

I took pictures today of all the rooms and closets. I may be too chicken to post the before though!

ShayleighCarsensMom
08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
No hints, but as a former organized neat freak, I'm so so very jealous!

KrisM
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
No hints, but as a former organized neat freak, I'm so so very jealous!

You wouldn't be if you saw my starting point :). I've been working for 18 months to become organized and it's so hard! I'm jealous of people who have been there at some point!

Melaine
08-12-2010, 07:49 PM
oooohh, is it pathetic that I am jealous? yes, it is

Me too! If DH would take the kids for any reason for that long I'd be thrilled...but getting the house organized at the same time....I'd be really excited.

My suggestion is getting some really good music and perhaps some mindless TV shows lined up. I watch "Friends" on dvd when I do cleaning projects because I don't have to actually pay close attention to enjoy them.

I'd love to see before and after pics!