PDA

View Full Version : sides of the bed?

almostmom
08-10-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm curious - do you ever switch sides of the bed?

DH and I LOVE to switch the side of the bed we sleep on. I'd say on average we sleep on a side for about 3 days, and then switch. When one of us goes to bed (we often go to bed at different times), we grab our book and lie down wherever we feel like. The second person to bed sees or feels what side of the bed is empty, and sleeps there. We both sleep on our sides and back (and sometimes stomach for me), so we can spoon and cuddle wherever we are. I like the diversity of cuddle positions that come with switching sides. The longest (not counting with newborns, when I was near the door) we've probably gone sleeping on one side is probably 2 weeks.

We only have one alarm clock that DH usually sets, as he usually gets up earlier. If it's not on his side, he still sets it by leaning over me, or walking around the bed. No biggie.

But I've never met another couple who does this! So it seemed like it was time for a poll...

WolfpackMom
08-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Nope, same side at home, in hotels, at others houses....maybe we should get exciting and switch sides sometime to break routine!

jse107
08-10-2010, 12:00 PM
What?!?! Switch sides?!?! I don't think I could do it! That's just some crazy s**t you're talking now.

Corie
08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I always pick the side the farthest away from the bedroom door.

So whenever we move or stay in a hotel or wherever, I pick the
side away from the door.

Melanie
08-10-2010, 12:05 PM
LOL. Only when we move or move furniture. Over the years, due to those reasons, we have flip-flopped, but not daily. ;)

I'm actually quit happy that in our last move I think Dh wanted to keep his side of the bed b/c that's how we set it up (nightstands, alarm clocks) so now HE is closer to hearing the kids call in the night! :yay:

egoldber
08-10-2010, 12:07 PM
What?!?! Switch sides?!?! I don't think I could do it! That's just some crazy s**t you're talking now.

:yeahthat:

TwinFoxes
08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
When I used to WOH, we would switch sides because we only had one alarm clock. Now we rarely do at home, and when we do, it's not to spice things up, so much as that's just where we end up for whatever reason.

:rotflmao:

wendibird22
08-10-2010, 12:29 PM

I'm a creature of habit and routine. Switching is far too spontaneous for me.

caleymama
08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
LOL. Only when we move or move furniture. Over the years, due to those reasons, we have flip-flopped, but not daily. ;)

Same here.

:hysterical:

wellyes
08-10-2010, 12:36 PM
DH and I LOVE to switch the side of the bed we sleep on.

That's just the most adorable thing I've read all day, heh. For some reason the image in my head when I read your post was the two of you looking like Rob & Laura Petrie being all excited about how fun it is to switch sides. Don't ask me why, I have no idea.

Tondi G
08-10-2010, 12:37 PM

This ... but we each have our own alarm clocks so we stick with our own sides at this point!

KHF
08-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I always sleep on the side closest to the bathroom.

lil_acorn
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I Pick the side closest to the door/bathroom.

almostmom
08-10-2010, 12:54 PM
ah, shucks. Thanks.

Mamma2004
08-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Growing up I *thought* I needed to sleep on the right side of the bed (when facing it). Mind you, I was obviously sleeping ALONE but I still needed to be on that side. It wasn't until DH and I had been together for quite some time that we both realized my neurosis was not about "side" per se. I must be on the side of the bed closest to the door (and therefore to the bathroom, to DS, etc.).

shawnandangel
08-10-2010, 01:42 PM
We switch it up all the time.

trentsmom
08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I always pick the side the farthest away from the bedroom door.

So whenever we move or stay in a hotel or wherever, I pick the
side away from the door.

:yeahthat: I think I or DH read somewhere that he needed to be closest to the bedroom door so he could "protect" me from an intruder. But he doesn't do a very good job because the little intruder that comes in the bedroom just goes around to my side of the bed.

lizzywednesday
08-10-2010, 02:14 PM
DH needs to be on the left. Always on the left (when in the bed.) Even in hotels, regardless of proximity to the bathroom or door, he must sleep on the left.

In our bedroom, he's currently closest to the bathroom and the door.

And, no, this didn't change while I was pregnant with DD. Even during my morning sickness. (I am thankful that we have another bathroom on the same floor, which is ended up being the quickest for me to go and throw up because it was a straight line, rather than a turned corner.)

happymom
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
:yeahthat: I think I or DH read somewhere that he needed to be closest to the bedroom door so he could "protect" me from an intruder. But he doesn't do a very good job because the little intruder that comes in the bedroom just goes around to my side of the bed.

:rotflmao:

alien_host
08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
I was going to vote "Never!" but I realized that while on vacation I did sleep on the "wrong side" for a few nights. Usually I always sleep on the same side...home or away so I'm not sure what happened that trip (and I had a terrible nights sleep!).

I do prefer to be closer to the bathroom though.

melrose7
08-10-2010, 09:12 PM
:yeahthat: I think I or DH read somewhere that he needed to be closest to the bedroom door so he could "protect" me from an intruder.

That is DH reason he is on the side nearest the door. But if we are in an hotel or sleeping elsewhere I am on the side nearest the kids. But we would never think about changing at home Even though DH works nights so we don't sleep together often we still stay on our side of the bed.

elizabethkott
08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Heck no!
We actually just added on a new master to our house, and DH asked me if we'd be keeping the same sides of the bed. I looked at him like he had five heads. He looked a little down about it... hey, he chose "his" side of the bed first when we first... ahem. Now he's stuck with it. :D

lmwbasye
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
We don't switch unless we are maybe in a hotel/different bed or whenever we move...then DH automatically takes the "better" side. Yes, there is always a reason that side is better. LOL!

Octobermommy
08-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Girl, you are talking c-r-a-z-y. At home we sleep on our sides but we do occasionally mix it up at a hotel.

sarahsthreads
08-10-2010, 10:37 PM
The one and only time we EVER switch sides is when we're at my ILs house - it's a double bed pushed up against a wall, and even though the wall side is my "normal" side of the bed, I refuse to have to climb over DH - who sleeps like the dead - in order to get to the terrified child who just woke up in the middle of the night somewhere other than in her own room.

Sarah :)

crl
08-10-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't care at all, but dh is very set on sleeping on his side. So we never switch.

Catherine

maybeebaby08
08-10-2010, 11:31 PM
We slept on our sides until DD came along and we started co sleeping around 6 months, we had to push the bed up against the wall and switch sides so DD & I could be on the inside. Now we're back to our "original" sides but DH gets up super early so as soon as he leaves I switch to his side. Does that count as switching every night?

lalasmama
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Laying on the bed, he must be on the left side, which is good, because I must be on right side.

Why?

Because my mommy taught me that mommies are on the right side of the bed, and the left side is for whoever elese is in the bed.... How deep does this run? I couldn't put the recliner on my mom's right side when she was in the hospital dying and I was staying with her! I had to be on her left side, because the other way "just wasn't right" even though we couldn't explain *what* wasn't right about it!

kijip
08-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Sometimes but if it's a wake up or die situation, my husband can't be the one closest to the alarm because he will hear it before me, but whereas when I hear the alarm, I am up...he just turns it off in semi consciousness and we miss the flight. :tongue5:

AshleyAnn
08-11-2010, 01:23 AM
When we moved we switched the last two times. I get up in the night (bathroom, baby, ect) DH doesn't. I also have a fear of fire and being trapped so I feel more comfortable with the easiest route to get out. When DH is mobilized I like to sleep in different spots including at the foot for fun and it makes it feel less empty.