PDA

View Full Version : 2 week post partum appt?

tabegle
08-10-2010, 12:22 PM
When my daughter was born in 12/08, (vaginally), my doctor had me go in for a normal 6 week post partum visit where they did a pap and I was good to go. No problems with the delivery, just 2 internal stitches.

My second child was born on 8/1 also vaginally. This time I has no tearing and no problems whatsoever (other than the epidural taking too long to work!) My son was 7 lb 10 ounces, a whole pound and 10 ounces bigger than his sister.

My question is why would my doctor ask to see me in 2 weeks and at 6 weeks? I thought 2 week visits were just for people that had c sections.

Thanks!

lizzywednesday
08-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I had a C-section and didn't see my doc until 6 weeks.

I would ask your doctor why he/she wants to see you twice.

SM23Mama21
08-10-2010, 12:33 PM
My doctor does a 2 week appointment just to see how you are doing emotionally. It's to help prevent/stop PPD early on.

Andi98989
08-10-2010, 12:48 PM
My doctor does a 2 week appointment just to see how you are doing emotionally. It's to help prevent/stop PPD early on.

I did not have a 2 week appointment, but my doctor asked me to call her and let her know how I was doing.

newg
08-10-2010, 02:36 PM
I just had my second c-section on 8/2 and don't see my doc until my six week visit. With my first daughter I didn't get to see my doc until 8 weeks post-partum because she had taken vacation right at my six weeks, and that was also a c-section.

I would call and ask why too.

luckytwenty
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I've had two c-sections thus far. The first time, my check up was at 4 weeks PP to check on how the c-section healed. The second time (diff. doctor) it was at 6 weeks.

Beth24
08-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Just had a normal vaginal delivery with minor tearing and my first visit was at 3 weeks, and now not again until 6 months.

MolieMuts
08-10-2010, 03:06 PM

This was my case as well. I thought the two week was also kind of strange because with DS1 I only went for a 6 week check-up. Different doctor though.

sewarsh
08-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I had 2 diff drs with my 2 dc and only had 6 week appts with both. no 2-week appt. i tore with both...one naturally and one by episiotomy.

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2010, 10:09 PM
PPD check. Also, just to check in make sure all is healing well. I had a 2w with ds2 and was really glad for it. It was nice to make sure things were going well and get some q's answered about the recovery period. I wouldn't be concerned orr think about skipping it, personally.

Beth

tabegle
08-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks ladies! I'm just a little concerned about the doctor and midwives not talking to each other. The doctor attended the birth and one of the midwives checked on me at the hospital the next day. The midwive is who told me to make the 2 week appt. I hope she didn't get confused thinking I had a c-section.

:waving4: