PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the Action Baby Carrier

TwoBees
08-10-2010, 12:39 PM
Does anyone have one? Is it comfy? Good for small kids?

ang79
08-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I have one that I've used quite a bit with my petite toddler. It says you can use it from birth up, but I didn't start using it til my DD was about 7-8 mos. She is tiny for her age and until that point I felt she was more secure and comfortable in a mei tai carrier. Once I started using it though, it has been my main carrier. Love how easy and quick it is to put on. Its very similar to a mei tai in the shape of the body and that the body is not padded (which makes it cooler to wear IMO). The straps and waist belt have a good amount of padding but are not as stiff or bulky as the Ergo straps/waist belt. I'm a thin, short mama, and I've had no problems getting the ABC to fit me right. We've never really used the sleep hood, but its not as tall of a hood as ones on other SCC's. I've been able to wear DD (who is now around 20 lbs.) both on my front and back easily and comfortably. And she likes that the body is short enough for her to get her arms out, but if you have a tall kiddo, you might want something taller.

I've tried the Ergo, Angelpack, Toddler Patapum, and the ABC and the ABC has been my favorite. I am really curious to try out a Boba carrier next, hoping it has a bit more support than the ABC (which is fine for short walks, shopping, etc. but I think I'd like something with more support for all day trips to the zoo, etc.)

TwoBees
08-10-2010, 02:23 PM
How big is your DD now? One of the things we didn't like about the Beco Butterfly 2 is that the body was too big for small DD and short-torsoed me. The ABC website says the body is 18 inches---if you don't mind measuring yours, can you tell me if that is accurate and how big the waistband is?

ang79
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Not sure of DD's current stats but she was 31" and 20 lbs. in June at her last checkup. She likes the height of the ABC because she can get her arms out (in the Angelpack I just got she can't get her arms out very well due to the taller back and seat darts).

Just measured it and the actual body (not including the hood and from the top of the waist belt) is 14" tall by 13" wide. The waist belt is 4".

If you are on TBW or diaperswappers.com I have seen used ones going for around $55 recently if you don't want to shell out the full price. I think its a great carrier for that price and will probably keep mine til I'm done wearing DD. The only reason I'm looking at the Boba is that I want to try out more carriers before I'm totally done with babywearing, and I'm hoping the Boba has a bit more support for all day trips to the zoo, parks, etc. But the ABC suits me fine for our walks, shopping trips, etc. right now.

HTH!

TwoBees
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
I really, really appreciate you measuring your carrier for me! That gives me so much more perspective. You've pretty much sold me. You mention though that you are looking for something more supportive for all-day wear. How supportive exactly is the Action Baby Carrier? I doubt I'll be wearing DD all day, but I also don't want to be uncomfortable. Does it offer good lumbar support? Is the waistband padded? Also, is the sternum strap height-adjustable (does it move up and down on the shoulder straps)? How small does it pack down? Is it small enough to throw in a diaper bag or a stroller basket?

Sorry for so many questions. You really have me interested and thebabywearer website is down right now so I can't ask there.

:signthankspin:

ang79
08-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Honestly, if I hadn't borrowed a friend's Ergo just to try it out for fun, I probably would have remained completely satisfied with my ABC, it really is the perfect carrier for me. I liked how the Ergo had more structure and was more supportive though. Just from short carries in the grocery store I could tell it felt more supportive. But, it was also a whole lot hotter to wear! And I get hot very easily, especially with a carrier on my back!

I still prefer the fit of my ABC over the Angelpack I just got and over the Toddler Patapum that I tried (which didn't fit me anyways since I'm petite). I think part of the reason I want to try the Boba is because we may be done having kids and I want to try our another carrier before my baby wearing days are through!

The waist is padded but the padding is not as stiff as on the Ergo, and the waist belt is straight, not curved. As for the chest belt, you can move it and also remove it (when I wore her on my front I always crossed the straps in the back, so no need for the chest belt, so I just took it off until I started carrying her on my back).

It also folds down pretty small. Not quite as small as the mei tais I had due to the shoulder and waist padding, but still pretty compact, enough so to stick in a diaper bag. The body is pretty much the same as a mei tai, just a rectangular double sided piece of cloth, no padding in the body. It definately folds smaller than the Toddler Patapum and Ergo.

I saw you were looking for a place to buy one on sale. I know some online stores used to have older patterns on clearance, but it appears they are all sold out on those now. Are you a member on diaperswappers.com? There is a FSOT section on there and I know I saw some gently used ABC's for sale for between $50-$60 recently. They are not super popular so I never see them on Ebay. thebabywearer.com appears to be down right now, but keep checking that site as I've seen some on FSOT there too.

Good luck!