PDA

View Full Version : Could Use Some Help (Death and Airfare)

Indianamom2
08-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Got a call today from my mom that my grandmom died today. She was 95 and in very poor health in a nursing home for the last couple of years. My family all live roughly 750 miles away. I think the funeral will likely be this weekend. If I can swing it, I will probably fly out there for a very quick trip.

Anyone have suggestions on how to find the cheapest possible flight (let's say Friday evening returning late Sat or early Sun.? I don't fly very often at all (less than once a year) and so I'm not up on all the ways to find deals.

Thanks!

sste
08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I thought airlines offered bereavement fares at special prices (maybe they are cutting back in bad economic times though?). It is worth a try.

I have on occasion found good last minute fares on southwest or by using kayak or another large search engine.

And very sorry for your loss.

egoldber
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
I am very sorry. :(

Many airlines do offer bereavement fares, but it is generally a small percent off (usually 10%) the full price fare. You will generally do better finding a regular discount fare.

I would look at the airline sites directly and also the general fare comparison sites like sidestep.com, kayak.com, travelocity, hotwire, etc.

Ceepa
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
There should be reduced fares for a funeral. Call the airlines.

I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Indianamom2
08-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Thanks ladies. I think it's going to be expensive no matter what...but I don't have much choice. I think I'll have to do some actual calling of airlines to find out more info on the bereavement fares. I wasn't sure they even still did that, but maybe that will end up being a better option.

codex57
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
They do it, but the rep at United straight up told me that I was better off finding a flight in other ways. He could tell just by looking at the computer that there was at least 2 other ways to get a slightly cheaper fare than what the bereavement fare was showing.

sariana
08-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Do you have any frequent flier miles with any airline? Sometimes you can purchase miles to get you up to the level for a "free" ticket, which can end up being less expensive than purchasing a ticket straight-out.

Also, if there is any way you can leave on Thursday, you can probably get a better fare. Tuesdays and Wednesdays have the best fares, Fridays and Mondays generally the worst.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmom. I hope you are able to make the trip without too much hassle.

JustMe
08-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I have been through this twice, as both of my parents died across the country from me. You can call the airlines and get the special bereavement fares...however, they are not cheap, as someone said they are discounted from a full non-discounted fare. You may have better luck finding something on-line. Also, a big advantage of the bereavement fares is that there is no penalty for changing the return trip (generally anyway). It sounded like this is not important in your case, and I'm only saying this to explain why bereavement fares exist...and why some are better off with other alternatives.

alirebco
08-10-2010, 06:19 PM
I would check kayak.com and go for the cheapest by being flexible with times, but you'll probably best off going with Airtran, Southwest, or Jetblue. Bereavement fares are not that great unfortunately.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Gracemom
08-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Have you checked the Last Minute Deals from Travelocity? I've gotten some pretty good deals through them. You often have to add a rental car or hotel room, but you don't have to use it. Sorry about your grandmother.