PDA

View Full Version : Naps!

charmcitymom
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Hello everyone,

My family is driving to FL this weekend and will be at WDW for 1 week. We're staying off-site and since this is my first time going with a small one, I hadn't thought about naps! My 1-year-old naps twice a day. I don't think I want to have to take him back to the hotel twice a day and with my luck he'd wake up right when we got back. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Anyone know any good nap spots? He's a good sleeper when he's tired and I realize that WDW is noisy, but is there a reasonably good spot somewhere?

2. Do you have to repay parking if you leave and then come back to the park?

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Tinkerbell313
08-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Each park has a dedicated babycare center. I have never used them so I am not sure how big they are...maybe you can take your little one there.They do have changing stations as well as places to feed babies and little children. I beleive they have gliders...so you can sit in one and hold your child.

Unfortunately, the Disney website does not give much information except where they are located:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/baby-care-centers/

TwinFoxes
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
How long does he nap? I've taken some lovely naps on some attractions. The Great Movie Ride at DHS, I go right out. I can't remember what Ellen's ride is called in Epcot, but that one puts me out every time. I personally like the Hall of Presidents (MK) but I bet a toddler would go right out. These are going to be part of our nap strategy too! I'm sure there are other good options that I can't think of.

egoldber
08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
:yeahthat: The quiet dark rides are great. Another good one in the MK is the Carrousel of Progress. Or as DH calls it, the "napping nursing ride". :ROTFLMAO:

charmcitymom
08-10-2010, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the thoughts. He naps for up to 1.5 hours. Could I stay on an attraction that long? I haven't been to WDW in quite some time and I can't think of the attractions that could work. I think I saw the riverboat is closed, that could have worked. Darn it.

Any other suggestions?

egoldber
08-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Well, Ellen's Universe of Energy is about 35-40 minutes. The Carrousel of Progress is also probably 20-30 minutes. You could just turn around and ride them again.

You could also get on the monorail and just ride it around.

billysmommy
08-11-2010, 09:33 AM
We've also used the TTA (people mover) at Magic Kingdom to nurse and nap/rest. Most of the time there's no line and they let you stay on as long as you want. There's a nice breeze too.

liz
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
We've also used the TTA (people mover) at Magic Kingdom to nurse and nap/rest. Most of the time there's no line and they let you stay on as long as you want. There's a nice breeze too.

Not to highjack, but how long of a loop is this? My older kids would love this, and it would be great to give the baby a rest. Can you wheel a stroller on board or would you have to fold it up? We are trying to find places where we could leave a sleeping baby in the stroller (if such places exist).

liz
08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
deleted - sorry wrong thread!

egoldber
08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
You can't bring a stroller on the TTA. You have to leave it below. I can't think of any rides/attractions where you can bring a stroller on-board unfolded. Well, the monorail at non-busy times, but that is not technically a ride. ;)

charmcitymom
08-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Doh! You can really tell I'm an amateur here. I hadn't even thought about the stroller factor. I guess I'll just have to carry him asleep - doable provided it's not outlandishly hot. Otherwise, I'll have to hope for a non-busy monorail.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Anything for the Animal Kingdom?

Thanks again!

caribbeanmama
08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the thoughts. He naps for up to 1.5 hours. Could I stay on an attraction that long? I haven't been to WDW in quite some time and I can't think of the attractions that could work. I think I saw the riverboat is closed, that could have worked. Darn it.

Any other suggestions?

Well, you're probably at WDW right now, but at Epcot, my DD slept on her stroller very peacefully at Innoventions West. When we were there last week, the building was not busy at all. There is an ample area with seats near one of the entrances. In addition, there's a video game area which is busy with kids, but surprisingly not noisy. There is a bench where you can seat and maybe place the stroller behind the bench. That area is not brightly lit and again not noisy.

At AK, there's an outdoors covered area as soon as you come out of Dinosaur. You exit Dinosaur through the giftshop and there's the covered area, you can't miss it. Of course, you can reach the area without riding Dinosaur, just turn left as you head towards the building. If it's not too hot or too busy (it wasn't when we sat there to get away from a passing rain storm), it is a nice little area to get away from the crowds.

Good luck!

DebbieJ
08-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Honestly, all naps went out the window during our time at WDW. My DS just fell asleep in the stroller when he was tired. If he was really cranky I carried him in the Ergo as he was guaranteed to fall asleep that way.

You just have to go with the flow.

charmcitymom
08-23-2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Everyone,

So we are calmly resting in our Ft Lauderdale hotel now after a week at WDW. We loved it! In the end we went with the flow and naps just happened. It was often very hot and we all ducked into the infant care centers for a breath of cool air! These were excellent. The only problem was that sometimes the no stoller rule was applied more vigorously.
We also stopped in the air-conditioned shops that they have at ride exits. Those were great for sleeping too. The most difficult park was AK. Overall there is less air conditioning here and DS had to nap outside the whole time. The poor little guy sweat quite a bit but rested enough to go until the end of the day (we went to MK afterwards and he was a trooper!).

All in all, naps didn't turn out to be that restrictive and DS was able to have a great time too! At 1, I really felt like he enjoyed himself - most of all, he enjoyed spending the whole day with everyone! :)

TwinFoxes
08-23-2010, 10:30 PM
WONDERFUL update! Yay! :D