PDA

View Full Version : Swelling

BigDog
08-11-2010, 12:15 PM
With DS I had minimal swelling prior to giving birth - afterwards was a different story! My feet were humongous, it was horrible and it lasted about a week and a half. Is swelling after labor inevitable? Or are there any mommas out there that didn't experience any swelling? I'm currently 36 weeks with DC2 and so far so good. I'm just wondering if I'll have swelling like I did the first time around. Any feedback is appreciated!

BabyBearsMom
08-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I didn't have any swelling after DD. Or at least nothing noticeable. I had a C Section and the hospital put these massagers on my lower legs (like blood pressure cuffs for your legs but they go off continually) for the first 24 hours. Apparently a lot of women swell up after the C Section and those help.

Roni
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't remember any swelling after giving birth.

Andi98989
08-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I was swollen up like a whale when I was pregnant - to the point where no shoes would fit; I had to wear Crocs all the time. My feet hurt horribly due to how tight my skin was. My OB even commented about how happy I would be to finally pee off all that extra fluid. LOL I ended up with a c/s and I was super happy to have that catheter in!! :rotflmao: By the next day my swelling was massively decreased and even my FIL commented on how much better I looked!

So, swelling is not inevitable. If you do swell, it's likely from fluids that they give you during labor and just your body staying hydrated, etc.. I would make sure that you're drinking enough (oddly, not drinking enough can cause you to retain water) and moving around.

SnuggleBuggles
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
I had no swelling at all after both births. Some drugs during labor can increase the risk of swelling and then all the IV fluids too. I had no meds and no IV fluids so I think that helped me.

BEth

swissair81
08-11-2010, 11:07 PM
I don't swell. I sweat.

SnuggleBuggles
08-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I don't swell. I sweat.

The sweating! I woke up covered in sweat nightly for the 1st 1-2 weeks pp. Then all of a sudden my thermostat went back to normal.

Beth

Momit
08-12-2010, 06:21 PM
I had major swelling after DS was born via C-section. They told me it was because of the IV fluids I got because I was dehydrated when I went into labor. My legs were like huge, freaky sausages and my skin was stretched so tight I could barely bend my knees. Hope you have better luck this time!

karstmama
08-12-2010, 07:33 PM
swelling for a day or two after delivery is really common & usually totally normal. you make extra blood to perfuse the uterus & placenta, then it isn't needed anymore - so your body filters off the fluid part & parks it (mostly in your ankles!) until you can pee it off.

swissair81
08-31-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't swell. I sweat.

Just to edit now that I had the baby. My ankles were hugely swollen after giving birth. It might have something to do with all the lab & pediatrician visits that stemmed from her being extremely jaundiced, because they went down as soon as I put my feet up for a few days.

pantrygirl
08-31-2010, 10:42 PM
After I gave birth my feet were huge! They looked like they were in a fat suit!

It took at least a week for the edema to go away.

I kept them elevated and what not and that still didn't help.

I was petrified they would stay that way but I fit into my pre-pregnancy shoes and have burned all but one photo my husband took of my Barney Rubble feet.