PDA

View Full Version : crib too small?

Sweetum
08-11-2010, 02:19 PM
DS has been sleeping with us in our bed for the last 2 months, ever since his first diarrhea incident. In the beginning we were fine, since we felt he needed the extra TLC. But later he refused to go back to his crib. So, now, we put him to bed in our bed. And once asleep, we move him to the crib. But he wakes up in the middle of the night and asks/cries to go into our bed. We find that he moves a lot in his crib and that at some point when he's moving during his sleep, his limbs hit against the hard slats of the crib and he is awakened. And when he's in our bed, he just keeps turning and falling on us (DH has now decided to sleep in a different room - can't take the kicking anymore!). We're wondering if the crib space being insufficient is a reason he doesn't want to sleep in the crib. He even refuses to be put in there at bedtime. Any suggestions? Should we not put him in a crib anymore, but put him on a mattress on the floor in his room? Or just on a comforter on the floor? Any other ideas to take him back to the crib or otherwise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SunshineAndMe

nfowife
08-11-2010, 02:59 PM
I highly doubt it is a space issue- until about a month ago both my 3 and 5 year olds were still in their cribs ( the 5 year old in the toddler bed mode). You could put some bumpers in to soften the sides and make it so no limbs get stuck- at your child's age they are not any danger and both mine always had bumpers. Probably he is just used to sleeping with you and it will take some effort and consistency on your part if you want him back in the crib.

citymama
08-11-2010, 03:05 PM
:yeahthat:

My 4 yr old was in her crib turned toddler bed until earlier this year. It's not the size of the crib. He likes sleeping with mama and papa!

Kaylee31
08-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I don't have any advice, but I am in the same boat. Except my son is 13 months old. The only way he will go to sleep is in our bed. Then I move him into his crib. He will wake up at least once a night, sometimes wanting his paci, sometimes just wanting to go in our bed again. I know the only way to break this habit is CIO, but I just can't handle it. 5 minutes of him screaming & crying sends me over the edge. I guess I'm just a sucker.

arivecchi
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
My DS (1/09 baby as well) started waking a lot around 12 months. We put bumpers in his crib and he has been sleeping great ever since. We did the same thing with DS1. The bumpers make the crib much more comfy and cozy. DS2 loves his crib now that he has bumpers.

Now that your DS is sleeping in your bed though, it will be hard to transition back to the crib.

dhano923
08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
It's not a space thing. He's just gotten used to sleeping with you.

AshleyAnn
08-11-2010, 10:05 PM
My DD SUPER active in her sleep. She often sleeps with her body crosswise in her bed with her legs up on the sides no problem. He knows he likes sleeping with you and expects it. You have to break the cycle and reteach him sleep habits or live with cosleeping.

I found breathable bumpers a lifesaver for stuck limbs and hitting the cold hard slats. She loves them and plays peekaboo with it during wake times.