PDA

View Full Version : night waking b/c of potty?

alirebco
08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
So DS has been potty trained since May and we basically transitioned him out of diapers completely, including for naps and nights. He had been staying dry for naps way before that and some nights. Now that he's just in training pants at night, he's been waking more in the middle of the night because he has to go potty or because he already went (maybe 10% of the time).

I know he'll eventually be able to hold it through the night but for now it's a bit frustrating. Also, he always wakes up really cranky so even though he has to pee, he gets mad about it since he's so sleepy. Once he pees, he does go right back to sleep though.

Anyone BTDT with night waking after potty training? Any idea when I'll get to sleep through the night again?

edurnemk
08-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I can't offer any advice, I just wanted to say we're going through the exact same issue. Except I still put DS in a diaper at night (sometimes he's dry in the morning, sometimes he isn't), and still he yells for me in the middle of the night "Mom, I need to go pee in the potty! I need to go pee in the pottyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!". At 2 am, I'm not that thrilled to hear that. I think to my self "but you're wearing a diaper!" Some nights he sleeps right through and does pee in the diaper. My mom says it's a good thing he knows he needs the potty even in the middle of the night... I agree, but still I'm feeling like a zombie.

KathyN115
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, DD is 4 and still wakes up most nights to pee. She can do it herself, but feels the need to wake me up and tell me she has to go. I am just grateful she wakes up to use the bathroom, and only rarely to tell me she had an accident. It is a lot more work to change the sheets then jut walk her back to bed! But I get that you are tired, I am too!

jenstring95
08-12-2010, 12:02 AM
DS (almost 5) usually doesn't get up in the middle of the night, but if he does, he always calls for me. He is perfectly capable of going on his own, and we have a gazillion nightlights in the bathroom (not to mention he can reach the switch anyway), but I guess it's just something about the night/dark? I don't do anything except stand in the bathroom with him. Usually I use the bathroom after him, and he finishes washing his hands and goes back to bed before I am even done. :shake: Honestly, though, I remember waking my mom up when I was little, so I guess what comes around goes around. :tongue5:

khalloc
08-12-2010, 09:49 AM
UGH. It might not be anytime soon.

My DD is almost 5, she has been PTed since 2ish and she still wakes up at night to pee. And the real kicker is that she can go weeks without waking, then she will get on a kick where she wakes 1-2 times a night. She wont just go pee by herself. My job is just to stand there and watch and walk her back to bed and shut the door and leave.