PDA

View Full Version : Do you watch daytime soaps?

Fairy
08-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm very interested in how many people out there watch soaps. It's a truly dying genre, which is too bad. GL just went off, ATWT is next, and three more are on the bubble to be next. Internet soaps are poping up and getting mroe and more successful. But traditional network soaps are going away. It's not happening all at once, but they're mid-way to circling the drain. So, take a vote. I wanna know.

Poll is up! Multiple choice! And if you could say why you no longer watch if you used to, that would be great!

ETA --> Here are the abbr's. Sorry!

Days - Days of Our Lives
Y&R - The Young & the Restless
B&B - The Bold & the Beautiful
ATWT - As the World Turns (cancelled; about five weeks to go before it goes off the air, they're wrapping up stories)
GH - General Hospital
All My Kids - All My Children
One Life - One Life to Live

Not that they're options, but AW is Another World, and GL is Guiding Light, both gone.

KrisM
08-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Never watched them. I have no idea what some of the abbreviations are :).

Ceepa
08-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I used to get into a storyline or two when I was younger but then would drift away. Haven't watched one since. I do think it's sad that they're all dying out because the genre was such a cultural mainstay for decades.

SnuggleBuggles
08-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Grew up watching DoOL then started GH in high school. Ditched DoOL when chick was possessed by the devil (ridiculous). Stopped watching both during college and do not miss them.

Beth

luv2bmommy
08-11-2010, 05:52 PM
used to watch B&B with my grandma while she was still alive, so got hooked back then, then I added ATWT, which can be addictive, HOWEVER, they run from 1:30PM-3:00PM exactly the time my DS and I nap, so I stopped watching, just read them online from time to time to catch up, and do not miss the 1.5hrs in front of TV (especially since DS would wind up watching sideways too). Oh, and I guess with ATWT ending, I can control my 'addiction' better;) Sad though, still have a bit of hope that it might be saved.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
used to watch B&B with my grandma while she was still alive, so got hooked back then, then I added ATWT, which can be addictive, HOWEVER, they run from 1:30PM-3:00PM exactly the time my DS and I nap, so I stopped watching, just read them online from time to time to catch up, and do not miss the 1.5hrs in front of TV (especially since DS would wind up watching sideways too). Oh, and I guess with ATWT ending, I can control my 'addiction' better;) Sad though, still have a bit of hope that it might be saved.

Sierra just returned if you're interested, and I believe she has one more airdate. In case you wanna try to catch it. And it's absolutely positively not being saved, as SoapNet is going away, too. One Life will be the next soap to go, then it's just a matter of when for Days, not if. So disappointing.

cindys
08-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I watch Y & R on soapnet at midnight.....Its my one guilty pleasure...

DH works at night and babies are asleep so thats when I watch it.

ETA: Used to watch DOOL but got sick of the same ole Hope and Bo storyline and I used to watch B&B but got sick of the same ole Brooke and Ridge storyline...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 21mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Fairy
08-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I watch Y & R on soapnet at midnight.....Its my one guilty pleasure...

DH works at night and babies are asleep so thats when I watch it.

ETA: Used to watch DOOL but got sick of the same ole Hope and Bo storyline and I used to watch B&B but got sick of the same ole Brooke and Ridge storyline...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 21mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Cindy, how do you feel about (not so new anymore) Tucker? I'm big into Stephen Nichols and would love to hear what you think? Personally, I wish they'd give him more airtime, mainly with Jeanne Cooper, and let him peel back all those layers of the onion where he's hiding his mommy issues. He's rock it. Anyway, curious what you think.

boogiemomz
08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
I never watched them. I always felt like I was missing something... whenever I would try to watch, it just felt like people playing make believe and I couldn't get into it. Something about the camera lens or the way it's shot or something... I dunno. I was always more into prime time stuff.

cindys
08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Fairy -

I love Stephen Nichols...It was a little hard to get past thinking of him as Patch on DOOL!

I think his character could use some more air time..He is sexy to me..Not sure I like him with Ashley...He needs to be with someone more fiery like Phyliss...

Truthfully, I am sick of all the characters not knowing who their real parents, siblings etc are...And I hate the new Jill/Lauren storyline!

And dont get me started on the Adam storyline or the Abby storyline...haha...

So now you must be wondering why I even watch!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 22mos TODAY :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

DietCokeLover
08-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I used to watch Days of our Lives, but haven't seen it in 20 years or so.

OKKiddo
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I DVR Days and watch it once or twice a week--fast forwarding through all the commercials and some of the story lines I don't like.

I used to watch Passions as well as Days but it was cancelled and I have missed that story line....but I was glad to see a couple of the actors move from Passions to Days. :)

BabyMine
08-11-2010, 06:35 PM
I used to watch Days of our Lives, but haven't seen it in 20 years or so.

:yeahthat: I remember Jack and Jennifer and always wanted to look like Hope.

Kindra178
08-11-2010, 06:37 PM
GH is one of my guilty pleasures. I dvr it and watch every day. Here is my story: I watched Days growing up, mostly with my Grandma. Never religiously, just home sick from school or a day here and there. Because of that, I always followed it. I also watched in college. But for one year, in 1986, I think, I watched GH. It was the years of Blackie and Frisco. Start time in NJ was 3:00, so I watched it after school. Then NBC put on Santa Barbara and I loved it. Since that was on when I got home from school, and when I wasn't at sports or other activities, I watched. Then I started working, went to grad school, and worked some more and never thought of soaps again.

But . . . my oldest was a real fusspot. So during my maternity leave with him, I literally sat and nursed and walked and rocked him for the most part of most days. GH would just come on tv, and I got into it. Stopped watching it when I went back to work, but then I visited family and watched it on Soapnet. Since then, I dvr it. So after that long winded story, I have been watching GH for about three years straight.

For those who follow GH, they just had James Franco (Spiderman fame) on a villain. Crazy that a famous movie actor would go on GH, but we loved it! So I think if soaps keep things fresh, then they will stay on.

trentsmom
08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
A girlfriend and her mom got me hooked on Days the summer before 8th grade, so I watched it for a little while. I was watching when Bo & Hope first got together! Then I watched it again during college. I watched a few of the other ones, too, but I don't remember which ones. One of my friends liked to watch all three of the soaps that were on at 1PM. She switched around among them and kept us up to date with what was going on on each one. Haven't watched any soaps since then. If I happen to stop on one when I'm channel surfing, I like to see if I recognize any of the actors from the years I watched.

I understand that the soaps are no longer a big draw, but a small part of me is kind of sad to see them go. They were on the air for so many years, and I always knew that the early afternoon hours were for soaps. I also miss the silly gameshows that used to be on during the day. But I guess there's a network devoted to that, now.

pinkmomagain
08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
I used to watch General Hospital & All My Children. I really enjoyed them and actually wanted to be a writer for soaps when I was graduating college. I guess it really dates me to say that I watched way back when Luke raped Laura on GH.

I guess I must have stopped when I began working fulltime. Probably too lazy to tape them. Now, the TV doesn't belong to me during the day, it belongs to the kids...but I really don't miss them at all. Too over the top/melodramatic for me now.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
used to watch GH in high school. also was addicted to those telenovelas on Univision when my grandmother lived with is. but now i don't have as much time to watch soaps. i do watch Desperate Housewives though, that's the only soap-y thing i watch now.

maylips
08-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I grew up watching Days but gave it up a few years ago after it just got too weird and boring for me. Got started watching Y&R in college when my roommates watched it and still watch it now, although the storylines do get a little tiresome.

I saw a clip on a show the other day and they were saying how the Real Housewives series and other reality shows like that (the Hills, etc) are today's soap operas. That really stuck with me because it's basically true, although I don't watch any of those. But the genre looks like it's going away when it's really just changing with the times.

lil_acorn
08-11-2010, 08:08 PM
I used to watch days growing up. If I am home, sometimes I turn it on and it's funny that all the same characters are there, just 30 years older! Same for GH, but my favorite all time soap is Santa Barbara. I miss that one!

clc053103
08-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I grew up watching All My Kids and GH- literally. I recall watching them at preschool age with my SAHM! the love of All My Kids lasted through college, and when I got home from my first job I would watch the days' episode on my VCR (insert your own "my goodness she's a fossil" emoticon here).

But oddly, I don't miss them!

poohbear
08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I checked that I watch the ABC soaps, but I don't really watch them all the way through and I dont' watch them every day. I tivo them and then fast forward through most of them while I'm doing other things if I have time. I do find them entertaining, but with so many other things on the tivo, they're usually my last resort. But I think I will be sad when they're gone. Some of those people have been around for a long time and I remember them from different points in my life. And who didn't sit around in college gathered around the TV for DAYS or GH? Right?

Fairy
08-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Fairy -

I love Stephen Nichols...It was a little hard to get past thinking of him as Patch on DOOL!

I think his character could use some more air time..He is sexy to me..Not sure I like him with Ashley...He needs to be with someone more fiery like Phyliss...

Truthfully, I am sick of all the characters not knowing who their real parents, siblings etc are...And I hate the new Jill/Lauren storyline!

And dont get me started on the Adam storyline or the Abby storyline...haha...

So now you must be wondering why I even watch!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 22mos TODAY :love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

Well, I'm a relatively new watcher (I followed Stephen over :-)). But I have followed most of the soaps major families since I was a kid. I watched YR for a short time in HS. Now that I'm fully engrained in it while SN is on, I do kind of like him with Ashley, but they're not brewing them or steeping them or building up to them, they just basically said, "here ya go" and that was that. Very annoying. But if they did something to make them smolder, I'd be more interested. Now, I am interested in anythign that keeps SN working, so I'm invested. But with Phyllis? Now, that's just great so we can call them Phucker. That's COOL. But I'm not a fan of Phyllis, so ... that's hard for me.

Abby's SL is ridiculous. Sharon kissing Adam these last few days is ridiculous. Yuck to both of these things.

I love Kay & Jill. I LOVE THEM. Best supercouple ever is these two. What amazing chemistry these two women have with each other with the love/hate. They are awesome.

What is going on with Jana? I don't trust her.

HonoluluMom
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
Not sure if this counts, but I watch (DVR) Asian dramas/soap operas.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
:yeahthat: I remember Jack and Jennifer and always wanted to look like Hope.

Jen and Frankie are returning permanently this fall. No plans for Jack yet.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
For those who follow GH, they just had James Franco (Spiderman fame) on a villain. Crazy that a famous movie actor would go on GH, but we loved it! So I think if soaps keep things fresh, then they will stay on.

Can't tell you how much I respect this guy. He's a GREAT actor, and he wants to experience every genre. And he went BACK for a return! Not just a try it once and leave! Nice!

Fairy
08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
I used to watch days growing up. If I am home, sometimes I turn it on and it's funny that all the same characters are there, just 30 years older! Same for GH, but my favorite all time soap is Santa Barbara. I miss that one!

I can't tell you how much I loved Eden & Cruz. I remember when they had a name our baby contest. I forget what they ended up naming her. I think it was a her ... . Marcy Walker has left acting and works for a non-profit now, I believe.

AnnieW625
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
I started watching DOOL religiously in high school (91-95), watched it until Marlena was posessed by the devil; so around late 1995. I was first introduced it though in the late 80s when my babysitter watched it. I loved Jack & Jennifer, and thought Eve was evil. I don't remember Patch, but wasn't he on about the same time? One silly piece of wisdom I got from DOOL in the late 80s was at one time Jennifer mentioned on air that she brushed her hair 100 strokes before going to bed each night. Being the impressionable 11/12 yr. old I was at the time I started doing it, and haven't be able to go to bed without brushing my hair for the last 20 years.

I started watching Y&R around the same time, along with B&B because I didn't have class during that time in college. I also picked up Another World at the end. I stopped watching Y&R & BB when I moved to SDSU because I didn't have a TV, but started watching again in 2000 and watched till 03 when I got married. I started watching again in 2005 when pregnant with DD1. I never got back into B&B (although I really do like Jack Wagner).

I also got into AMC when Greenlee, and Zach were in the bomb shelter, so almost 3 yrs. ago. I still want them to hook up soo bad!

I have gone in and out with both Y&R, and AMC, but right now they are on the verge of not being soo boring so that is good. I am getting kind of tired of Nicki and Victor, and Erica and Jack, but that could be a whole other post in itself.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
So my story is that I'm a Days fan. Started being aware of it and characters when I was 4 when I'd watch with my mom. I remember when Trish was being beaten and when the stove blew up in Julie's face. Fast forward to when I was eleven, and I fell positively in love with Roman and Marlena all in their own right and became obsessed with Days. other people had rock stars on their walls, I had Days actors from all the fan magazines. Loved Roman & Marlena, but when Steve Johnson came to town I found someone new to be interested in, and when Kayla showed up I was done. I've been a big SK fan ever since, and I've followed Stephen Nichols and Mary Beth Evans around from one show to the next every since. Still support them. Stopped watching when Kayla left town, but checked back now and then till they burried Carly alive, and I said, ALL DONE. Didn't so much as think about it till Stephen & Mary Beth came back in 2006, then I rushed back like my ass was on fire. Then stopped again in February of last year when they got written off.

I watched all the NBC soaps at one time Another World (have you seen Stephen Schnetzer lately? The man looks amazing), Santa Barbara -- never watched Passions. Watched a little YR in HS; I remember when Nikki was drawing dark circles under her eyes to make Victor think she had cancer. And I do not get Cricket & Paul as a couple AT ALL, cuz it's just yucky. I watch YR now, and I'm watching Days again for the Bope storyline, which is dumb, but the acting from Kristian Alfonso is out of this world good.

I'm really disappointed that this genre is going away. But there are some Internet soaps that are hot. Venice Beach, Imaginary Bitches, and now the new one, The Bay, is kicking off in September. I'll be watching the Bay.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-11-2010, 08:51 PM
Grew up watching DoOL then started GH in high school. Ditched DoOL when chick was possessed by the devil (ridiculous).

Beth

OH.EM.GEE. You are my long lost sister (in keeping with the wackadoo soap type theme) I grew up watching Days (DD was named after Isabella, I thought she was so beautiful, and picked the name when I was 12), and stopped after the Marlena devil BS. I still watch the ABC soaps, but not religiously. Although taking it easy this past week after surgery, more than usual....

lil_acorn
08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I can't tell you how much I loved Eden & Cruz. I remember when they had a name our baby contest. I forget what they ended up naming her. I think it was a her ... . Marcy Walker has left acting and works for a non-profit now, I believe.

Adriana!

Yes marcy walker quit the biz and is a director of some children's program at a church down south. Loved eden and cruz, but favorite was probably mason & julia (only with the original Lane davies...couldn't stand Terry Lester in that role).

mommylamb
08-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I voted no, but I used to and I don't miss them, but honestly, I haven't watched a soap opera since I was about 12 years old. I don't watch a ton of non-news TV to be honest, with the exception of watching HBO/Showtime shoes on netflix after the fact. I've never seen an episode of American Idol, John & Kate Plus 8, the Batchelor, the Dugger show... never. I do watch HGTV from time to time, but that's as close to reality TV that I get. I pretty much live under a rock when it comes to TV... never seen Lost, never seen Mad Men (but its next on my netflix list :-)), never seen Glee... So soaps are way off my radar screen.

Kindra178
08-11-2010, 09:11 PM

Love Eden and Cruz. They were an unbelievable couple. And I used to want to look like Robin Wright! I don't remember the baby naming though. Year?

Do you remember when Michael Feinstein was on? He sang a song called My Favorite Year. I still love that song. Julia from Santa Barbara is on GH - I used to love her.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Adriana!

Yes marcy walker quit the biz and is a director of some children's program at a church down south. Loved eden and cruz, but favorite was probably mason & julia (only with the original Lane davies...couldn't stand Terry Lester in that role).

If you love Lane Davies, he's gonna be on that Internet soap, "The Bay." They have a FB page, "The Bay The Series." I have no idea who he's gonna be tho. He's aged pretty well, too!

Fairy
08-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Love Eden and Cruz. They were an unbelievable couple. And I used to want to look like Robin Wright! I don't remember the baby naming though. Year?

Do you remember when Michael Feinstein was on? He sang a song called My Favorite Year. I still love that song. Julia from Santa Barbara is on GH - I used to love her.

Nancy Lee Grahan. She's an amazing human being.

Corie
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
My mom never watched them so they weren't on when I was growing up.

In college, when I lived in the sorority house, the girls would watch them
during our lunchtime. I would usually eat and just talk to my friends. I had
no idea about any of the soap characters and I had no idea what was going on.

As a SAHM, I never have soaps on. It's just not my thing.

AnnieW625
08-11-2010, 10:18 PM
And I do not get Cricket & Paul as a couple AT ALL, cuz it's just yucky.

Me neither, didn't like them or Cricket much in the old days either. Cricket always rubbed me the wrong way, but right now I was actually glad to see her come back because she has brought some of the old show back from when the show was really good. 2007/2008 were complete snooze fests.

Fairy
08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Me neither, didn't like them or Cricket much in the old days either. Cricket always rubbed me the wrong way, but right now I was actually glad to see her come back because she has brought some of the old show back from when the show was really good. 2007/2008 were complete snooze fests.

I don't get why they keep letting great actors go. Stephen's not being utilized to potential, Stacey Haiduk is out of this world good, and they're directing Eden Reigel very poorly. Now, Michelle Stafford is crazy good as an actor. She just embodies her part and is so outstanding I can barely take it. But I do feel like their focus is a little wack these days. I know the world loves Cane & Lily; I don't care so much. Now Billy & Victoria? I'm way into them. They're awesome.

melrose7
08-11-2010, 11:39 PM
My mom watched all the ABC soaps when I was growing up and GH was on when I got home from school so I got into that. Then I also started watching OLTL but gave that one up in high school. I watched a little bit of DAYS in college because that is what everyone watched but hated the devil storyline. I still watch GH pretty religiously now via the DVR. I still have some old VHS tapes of old episodes that I loved and kept. DH thinks I'm crazy. So excited that Brenda is back on GH this week. One of my favorite characters. So sad the genre is dying though.

bubbaray
08-12-2010, 12:04 AM
I used to watch Y&R. I"ve kinda lost interest once they killed off Brad. I mean, who kills off the poolboy? I voted no, because the only time I watch is when I'm home sick and if I'm sick enough to miss work, I'm too sick to watch TV, KWIM?

AnnieW625
08-12-2010, 12:36 AM
I don't get why they keep letting great actors go. Stephen's not being utilized to potential, Stacey Haiduk is out of this world good, and they're directing Eden Reigel very poorly. Now, Michelle Stafford is crazy good as an actor. She just embodies her part and is so outstanding I can barely take it. But I do feel like their focus is a little wack these days. I know the world loves Cane & Lily; I don't care so much. Now Billy & Victoria? I'm way into them. They're awesome.

I totally agree with you on that. I love Billy with anyone; except Sharon (she is my #3 on most hated Y&R females, Gloria and Chloe are tied for first!). I loved him with Lilly and they ditched that story line the minute it got hot. I did like Lilly with Cane the first time around, but then I grew tired of them. I also like Chance and Heather too, I was glad to see Eden Reigel back on the soaps too I hated how AMC got rid of her and now they had to recast (their loss). I don't think any of the producers/writers/directors have figured out what to do with Heather. Crazy Phyllis that I love to hate is back:cheerleader1: I hated her with Jack in 02/03, but eventually got used to her, but now she's back to the old backstabber she was in the beginning. Stacy Haiduk was good, but honestly I could only take soo much of the Patty Williams thing, it dragged on way too long. I also wish they never would've gotten rid of Hope, and I absolutely hate that they have made Adam bad; that story is dragging on too long too.

I used to watch Y&R. I"ve kinda lost interest once they killed off Brad. I mean, who kills off the poolboy?

:yeahthat: x1,000,000 Final actor I miss more than anything is Don Diamont, at least he is on B&B, but he'll always be Brad Carlton to me.

Fairy
08-12-2010, 12:49 AM
Dude. Diamont was on Days first. But yeah, he's Brad Carlton, period. Stupid thing to kill him off.

See, now I like Sharon, but I've only been watching actively since, what, February? Whenever SN got there. And my number 2 most hated females in GC are, without a doubt. Gloria and Chloe. I mean, I cannot STAND Chloe. Ugh. Bleuch. I also agree that no one there knows what the hell do do with Heather. Sooooo sad. I like her with Chance. But from the scoop I'm getting ... uh ... don't get used to them.

cindys
08-12-2010, 01:26 AM
I used to watch Another World and Santa Barbara....Gosh that was long ago :( ...

I became a HUGE fan of DOOL when I was on maternity leave with my firstborn who is now 19...I cant even remember when I started watching Y&R but David Hasselhoff was Snapper!

One character I loved to hate was Sheila! Ooooh, back in the day she was awesome!

And I ony have one word for Don Diamont/Brad Carlton...YUMMY!

And yeah, I agree about Gloria...Shes a dimwit....I cant stand the new Heather...Love Phyliss...Cane and Lily are one big yawn...

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 22mos:love-retry::love-retry::love-retry:

infocrazy
08-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Grew up watching DoOL then started GH in high school. Ditched DoOL when chick was possessed by the devil (ridiculous).

LOL, exactly me, except GH started for me in college! I couldn't handle the possession! AND, Stefano returning from the dead 11 times. I just turned on Soap Net the other night and he is alive again!!!

I stopped watching after college because of working FT and not being able to keep up. Once we got SoapNet I started watching GH again during my 1st maternity leave, but very intermittently when I went back until I eventually just stopped.

I keep the TV off after I get home from work until bedtime, then I watch Prime Time shows I DVRed.

daisymommy
08-12-2010, 10:13 AM
All I can do is laugh at soaps :rotflmao: The acting is so poor, and the plot lines so ridiculous, I just cannot bear to make myself watch.

cindys
08-12-2010, 04:27 PM
"All I can do is laugh at soaps :ROTFLMAO: The acting is so poor, and the plot lines so ridiculous, I just cannot bear to make myself watch."

Let me tell ya after my days sometimes I need something that takes me into a world that is unrealistic and ridiculous....IMHO most of whats on tv these days has poor acting and silly plot lines.

Thats why I watch so little of it...

Cindy

Fairy
08-12-2010, 04:51 PM
"All I can do is laugh at soaps :ROTFLMAO: The acting is so poor, and the plot lines so ridiculous, I just cannot bear to make myself watch."

Let me tell ya after my days sometimes I need something that takes me into a world that is unrealistic and ridiculous....IMHO most of whats on tv these days has poor acting and silly plot lines.

Thats why I watch so little of it...

Cindy

What she said!

Only ... I watch so much of it :bag