PDA

View Full Version : Strollers for Disney world???

lhafer
08-11-2010, 11:17 PM
I posted this on the disboards, but wanted this board's opinion as well. We are staying at Coronado Springs for 9 days, and will be relying on ME and disney transportation to the parks.

Okay, so I will have a 9 mo old and a 4 year old for our trip. The 4 year old gets tired VERY easily - she likes to ride in a stroller in the mall!!

I have a Baby Jogger Classic single for walks in the neighborhood and such, and bought a new Maclaren Volo for her for this trip.

I was planning on bringing both of these strollers for the trip (9 days total). I have hooks on the jogger that can hold the Volo for when the 4 year old wants to walk, so we won't really have to push 2 strollers around - The Volo would be attached to the Jogger when not in use (I would attach a picture if I could figure out how!!).

I was planning on using the Maclaren Volo in the airport for the baby.

BUT.

Now I have having second thoughts. Some posts regarding even gate-checking my Jogger have me a little paranoid! I am worried about the Baby Jogger getting damaged. I know it getting damaged is a slim chance, but the chance is still there!! And replacing it would be very expensive!

SO....would you recommend:

1. Sticking with the original plan, and bringing the Maclaren Volo and MY Baby Jogger Classic single. In this case I would most likely purchase a travel bag for the Baby Jogger (cost $40).

2. Leave Baby Jogger at home. Take Maclaren Volo and RENT a DOUBLE stroller for the duration of the trip, basically using the Volo only for the airport.
Cost: Magic Strollers - $97 + $25 insurance + free rain cover = $122 total for the 9 days (City Mini double)

3. Leave Baby Jogger at home. Take Maclaren Volo and RENT a SINGLE stroller for the duration of the trip and take my stroller hooks that I use on my stroller to haul the Maclaren around when not in use. Basically same plan as #1, just using a rental stroller instead of my own.
Cost: Magic Strollers - $79 + $25 insurance + free rain cover = $104 total for the 9 days (City Mini single)

I do not own a double stroller, and am not used to pushing one around. I know my 4 year old will get tired and want to ride, but I know she will be excited and most likely in and out of the stroller. Not sure I want to haul around a big double for a kid in and out of a stroller all the time.

Having a double would enable her to get in and out all of the time whenever she wants. Having 2 singles (her Volo and the Jogger -whether rented or not) would make her have to possibly walk more.

egoldber
08-12-2010, 06:52 AM
The advantage of 2 singles is that you can easily split up and they are easier to push than a double. The downside is when the kid is in and out all the time, you do end up pushing an empty stroller a lot. Although I suspect after about 3 days it will be more full than empty. Walking on hard pavement at WDW all day is hard on kids (and adults!).

The advantage of a double is that it consolidates all your stuff in one place. They are more stable. They have more storage. The disadvantage is that is is harder to fold, heavier, probably harder to push and makes it harder to split up if the 4 year old is not that willing to walk or is very tired.

Do you not have any other single stroller other than the Volo or the Baby Jogger? How easily does the Jogger fold? Can you do it by yourself while holding the 9 month old?

I like to bring a cushy single for the younger child (plush padding, full recline) and a bare bones lightweight for the older child.

So I guess I am saying that I am not fond of any of your choices. :) I don't think the WDW strollers will work at all for the 9 month old because they are hard plastic and do not recline.

hillview
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Agree with Beth 2 singles is ideal. If you lived near me you could borrow one :). Failing that I'd bag the BJ.
/hillary

lhafer
08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
The advantage of 2 singles is that you can easily split up and they are easier to push than a double. The downside is when the kid is in and out all the time, you do end up pushing an empty stroller a lot. Although I suspect after about 3 days it will be more full than empty. Walking on hard pavement at WDW all day is hard on kids (and adults!).

The advantage of a double is that it consolidates all your stuff in one place. They are more stable. They have more storage. The disadvantage is that is is harder to fold, heavier, probably harder to push and makes it harder to split up if the 4 year old is not that willing to walk or is very tired.

Do you not have any other single stroller other than the Volo or the Baby Jogger? How easily does the Jogger fold? Can you do it by yourself while holding the 9 month old?

I like to bring a cushy single for the younger child (plush padding, full recline) and a bare bones lightweight for the older child.

So I guess I am saying that I am not fond of any of your choices. :) I don't think the WDW strollers will work at all for the 9 month old because they are hard plastic and do not recline.

You can see in this video how fast and easy my Baby Jogger stroller folds (the last part of the video):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvRVJ0dr33w&feature=channel

I have a Baby Planet umbrella stroller, but at 17 pounds, it's not lightweight. It does have an umbrella fold, fully reclines, has a good canopy, etc. But I wouldn't think it would be any easier to hold than the Baby Jogger because it doesn't have a strap or carry handle. My baby Jogger is a couple of pounds heavier.

Here is my Baby Jogger with the Volo attached to it.

And these pictures show all of my strollers. I am not going to bring the red one (a First Year's Indigo stroller - too cumbersome for plane travel). THe Baby Jogger has a much better push/stroll than the green one (the Baby Planet). That's why I want to bring the Baby Jogger over the Baby Planet.

Momof3Labs
08-12-2010, 09:45 AM
The Volo attached to the BJ is going to get really annoying to push in crowds - you'll be bumping everyone and everything with the wheels.

bubbaray
08-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I would bring the Volo and the green stroller. We did that the past two years at DL (and also on a trip to Maui). Volo and (similar to your green stroller) Esprit SunSpeed (has a recline for DD#2 to sleep). When the Volo wasn't in use, we tucked it in the basket, vertically, at the back of the stroller. ITA with Lori, having the Volo on the side of the stroller isn't likely to work with the crowds.

I like travelling with two small singles. They are easy for me to get through the airport -- DH takes the girls, I take all the gear put it in one stroller and push everything else on that one stroller. I gate check the strollers (and any car seats -- we don't take them to DL, but we did to Maui) in one JL Childress gate check bag.

Personally, I would not bring either of your other two strollers.

clc053103
08-12-2010, 04:56 PM
I would agree volo and baby planet. If your older child isn't riding the entire time, it won't be worth it. And being able to split up will be great. Though I am majorly impressed with the hangers you created for the Volo!!

The way full size jogging strollers are shaped, they take up a lot of walking path and it's easy for someone going around you trip on the front wheel. I would rather a regular stroller for Disney for the smaller footprint.

Unlike most I am a lover of the Disney rentals regardless of price, but I wouldn't consider it for a 9 month old.

I don't really worry about stroller damage, but maybe you could get the travel bag for the volo and see if anything is out there for the other stroller.