PDA

View Full Version : Going to start PT next week any advice?

MacMacMoo
08-12-2010, 12:29 AM
DS is turning two this Friday. He takes his diaper off when he feels wet, though thankfully keep it on when he poops. He doesn't talk much a few words here or there, no sentences (I'm certrain my Pedi will be referring us to a speech evaluation at the next dr appt, but he gets by it honestly. DH and i were late talkers and my half brother's just turned four and they are just now talking as much as DS).

He is okay about listening and following directions. If he is interested he'll obey quicker, but sometimes I have to repeat things many many many times. If he takes to long I'll raise my voice and sternly say 5 and repeat the command and then go back to my normal voice and manner. I'll repeat a couple more times say 4 sternly. If I have to get to 0 I normally pick him up force him to do what I said and normally there is a great deal of screaming and crying at this point. But most deals i very very slowly count backwards hoping not to get to zero since I never really know what to do when i get there.

DS is not interested at all in the potty chair. We've had one for a while no, rarely sits on it. Flew cross country to visit family a few weeks ago and DS got to watch my half brother pee standing up in front of a normal toilet. He's been mimicing that ever since we got back. So we bought a toddler/adult toilet seat for the toilet and he sits on it for a sec before hopping off and flushing. Sometimes he'll stand in front of it holding himself wondering why nothing is coming out.

He looooves brushing his teeth so i'm sure I can use it as a reward or bribe if need be.

So given DS level of communication and his current interest in PT. What should I do from here to help him along?

resipsaloquitur
08-12-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm sure you've heard all the standard advice and have picked a program or style to follow. I won't try to repeat all that.

What I will tell you is that if you pick any type of candy as a reward for DC, make sure you pick one you hate. I used M and M's for my DS and I gained about 5 pounds just having these around during the process.

Good luck.

sariana
08-12-2010, 02:51 AM
Just curious: Why are you starting PT next week? He doesn't sound ready at all.

My DD is almost 32 months. She LOVES to use the potty. She goes almost every time she sits on it. She also verbalizes that she is supposed to go in the "tawlet," not in her pants.

But she still goes in between. She goes in a diaper. She goes in a Pull-Up. She goes in trainers. She goes in underwear.

So a reward system wouldn't really work. She already feels proud when she goes in the toilet; she doesn't need an external reward. I would reward her for staying dry, but that has to happen first.

If your DS doesn't know how to produce when he's on/by the toilet, it seems he doesn't understand the concept yet.

I tried all kinds of things with my son, but he didn't train until 3 1/2, and now at 6 he still has accidents every once in a while (and he never stays dry at night).

So I have no advice. I'm a big PTing failure.

JBaxter
08-12-2010, 05:49 AM
It can be done. ;) I found naked worked best with incentives ( aka treats) I gave my self a week where I didnt have to be anywhere and we did a sort of potty boot camp. I encourage drinks and would set a timer for every hour to go "try" to potty I gave small incentive for trying larger for pee and a big one for pooping.

My oldest was my easiest and ds3 my most challenging ( he was speech delayed) but all were wearing big boy undies for daytimes by 2 1/2. DS1 was about 26 months but he also was dry every night at the same time.

We are going to give Jack a shot this fall when he turns 2.

I really hate changing diapers

PM me if you want any suggestions.

KrisM
08-12-2010, 06:41 AM
Have you seen this? http://www.target.com/Peter-Potty-Toddler-Urinal/dp/B000C22J2S?ref=tgt_adv_XSHA3580&AFID=google&CPNG=keywordlessads&LNM=Baby&lm=peter+potty

Maybe that would work for standing instead of a potty seat.

I don't think there is harm in starting early, but I'm not sure you'll be able to force him to pee, just by repeating and counting from 5 to 0. If he doesn't get it, he doesn't get it. But, having him try or letting him be naked and learning about peeing (on the carpet, the couch, and maybe in the potty) is not a bad idea. He'll start to figure it out anyway.

I started PTing DS1 at just before 2 and it took a few tries, but at 2.5 he was in underwear all day with few accidents. By age 3, he very rarely had any accidents.

I'm hoping to start DS2 once the big kids are back in school so I'm not so easily distracted. He turned 2 in July and I am really tired of changing diapers, so I figured we'll give it a try.

hillview
08-12-2010, 08:59 AM
I am a wait and PT person :) we train at around 3 years old. I did find naked and setting a timer to go to every 15 mins was the magic.
/hillary

wellyes
08-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm starting now as well. DD is 26 months. I figure a generation ago all kids were PTed by 2.5, so it has to be doable.

I read 'The No Cry Potty Training Solution' and the tip I liked best from it was: for rewards, go to the dollar store and buy 30 little toys. Wrap individually and put in a basket in the bathroom. Kid gets to unwrap a present every time. By the time you're out of toys, they're PTed.

Also, we've made flushing a reward LOL. No flushing just for fun!

o_mom
08-12-2010, 01:10 PM
What I will tell you is that if you pick any type of candy as a reward for DC, make sure you pick one you hate. I used M and M's for my DS and I gained about 5 pounds just having these around during the process.

We tried M&Ms and the problem was that we would start one day and the next day all the M&Ms would be gone. Somewhere between bedtime and the next morning the bag would evaporate. :innocent: I then had to run to the store or call it off for a day. We switched to mini-marshmallows after a few days and it worked much better.

SnuggleBuggles
08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm starting now as well. DD is 26 months. I figure a generation ago all kids were PTed by 2.5, so it has to be doable.

I read 'The No Cry Potty Training Solution' and the tip I liked best from it was: for rewards, go to the dollar store and buy 30 little toys. Wrap individually and put in a basket in the bathroom. Kid gets to unwrap a present every time. By the time you're out of toys, they're PTed.

Also, we've made flushing a reward LOL. No flushing just for fun!

I did that with ds1 and thought it was my unique idea. :) It worked great!

Beth

boltfam
08-12-2010, 03:09 PM

We've just started PTing and I'm wondering if you give a toy for each attempt or just when your DC goes?

sariana
08-12-2010, 03:29 PM
We've just started PTing and I'm wondering if you give a toy for each attempt or just when your DC goes?

If I gave DD a prize every time she went, she would have gone through those thirty toys three times over by now. She goes almost every time she gets on the toilet. But as I said above, she also goes in between.

So again, it comes down to the child, I guess.

Momof3Labs
08-12-2010, 11:45 PM
By the time you're out of toys, they're PTed.

Haha, how I wish that were true with DS1. We ran out of toys loooooong before he PT'd.